Watch Supergrass cover The Smiths' 'Please Please Please…' with Johnny Marr - NME

I won't throw shade that music hacks are preserving The Smith's reputation for defending outsiders by being nice to the sane heterosexual one who networks & being harsh on the mentally unbalanced queer one who doesn't.

Yer, knob-rot surface posted that on Saturday I think while he was fantasising about blowing Bernard or somebody out of New Order - that non-band... :rolleyes:
Like many of the skinny/surface fantasy posts, I think it got ignored by the masses as meh.
You should be ok with it tho, davet.

I went the night before, great venue and Supergrass were top ace fantastic.

?? :knife:

It's all very cute and all {and Moz did almost get Supergrass to perform at his 2004 Meltdown, but it fell through}. And Johnny plays immaculately.

But honestly nobody should sing those words but Morrissey. No-body. Unless they want to look and sound like a student karaoke tit. In a trilby.

If í was being harsh, í would say that Johnny of all people should know the difference between this and the real thing. And should feel sick to his gut. But í guess he may have other reasons to feel sickly these days. And í should just get a life.

And if he let's Neil sodding Finn sing it, then why not cheeky Gaz...?

I went the night before, great venue and Supergrass were top ace fantastic.

?? :knife:

The venues great, I love the all standing places, creates a great atmosphere. Seems to attract a lot of the newer bands as well, my youngest has seen The Blossoms and Cage the elephant there in the last few months.

Btw I took her to see The 1975 at the arena on Friday night, what an atmosphere, the whole place was dancing from beginning to end.

Johnny looks and sounds great! He obviously just loves to play. Wish I were there to see it. I love his friendly interaction with the drummer towards the end, he's ever the charmer.

It's all very cute and all {and Moz did almost get Supergrass to perform at his 2004 Meltdown, but it fell through}. And Johnny plays immaculately.

But honestly nobody should sing those words but Morrissey. No-body. Unless they want to look and sound like a student karaoke tit. In a trilby.

If í was being harsh, í would say that Johnny of all people should know the difference between this and the real thing. And should feel sick to his gut. But í guess he may have other reasons to feel sickly these days. And í should just get a life.

And if he let's Neil sodding Finn sing it, then why not cheeky Gaz...?

You could then argue that no-one else should play those chords except Johnny Marr, which would prevent Morrissey from singing it (or any other Smiths song) with his current band. Then we'd have no performances of Smiths songs anywhere.

The songs belong to Morrissey and Marr jointly. They don't need each other's involvement to play them.

I generally like it when other artists perform Smiths covers. I am happy to see these songs live on in the hearts of people, being passed on to the next generations or to new audiences. And I like Supergrass, went to see them almost 1 month ago, really cool show.

However, this one makes me feel so sad. In the current climate of hatred, in the city of Manchester, and with Johnny Marr joining, the sentence "see the luck I have had would make a good man turn bad" can easily take on a different meaning and come across as a stab in the back of Morrissey. So sad when you think about the original intention of the author.

You could then argue that no-one else should play those chords except Johnny Marr, which would prevent Morrissey from singing it (or any other Smiths song) with his current band. Then we'd have no performances of Smiths songs anywhere.

The songs belong to Morrissey and Marr jointly. They don't need each other's involvement to play them.

í guess that points out an interesting flaw in my ointment, which is that í consider the guitar a lesser expression of true emotion than the voice. í know other's disagree, which is why we have always had the Johnny brigade and the Moz army. í think there are more unique qualities to a human singing than to the way they play an instrument. í accept that í may be wrong about that, and it might be cos í couldn't play the spoons in time, let alone anything more complex. í am musically inept to a Major 7th degree. í just knows wot í like.
But the way that the noise coming from a human being's parted lips can vibrate particles in the air to be caught by bones in my ears, thence to the brain, heart, Etc., is still a thing of wonder to me.
And so it hurts when it's shit.

its like alan partridge inviting chris rhea over for a barbecue,shall I bring my guitar,id rather you didn't.
johnny leave the guitar in the house and enjoy the show like everybody else.

It's not great! Which is a shame because Supergrass are great, all of their albums are fantastic.

People moaning about Gaz Coombes is sad too, he's a talented song writer and guitarist, his solo stuff outside of Supergrass is really good too.

The last time I saw them live was Reading Festival 2001 around when they released their third album, which is my favourite. I had no idea they'd got back together, would have loved to see them again.

yikes

that first note that johnny hits is embarrassingly out of tune

what would hans zimmer think

The venues great, I love the all standing places, creates a great atmosphere. Seems to attract a lot of the newer bands as well, my youngest has seen The Blossoms and Cage the elephant there in the last few months.

Btw I took her to see The 1975 at the arena on Friday night, what an atmosphere, the whole place was dancing from beginning to end.

First time I’ve been, my mate had a spare ticket last minute. I’m so glad I took him up on the offer. Top tip park in the area near Ordsall Hall loads of free parking and only a short walk to the venue :cool:.

1975 ? Heard of the name I’ll give them a listen this week. :thumb:

I came across a band in support slot at The 02 Ritz a while ago called HMLTD they’ve just released a new album after a few ups and downs with the record company. The new album is called West of Eden have a listen and see what you think.

??:knife:

However, this one makes me feel so sad. In the current climate of hatred, in the city of Manchester, and with Johnny Marr joining, the sentence "see the luck I have had would make a good man turn bad" can easily take on a different meaning and come across as a stab in the back of Morrissey. So sad when you think about the original intention of the author.

That's completely ludicrous. I think you're the only one interpreting the line as anti-Morrissey.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom