Washington, DC - Echostage (June 17, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / Istanbul / Will Never Marry / One Of Our Own / The Bullfighter Dies / Scandinavia / Now My Heart Is Full / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // First Of The Gang To Die

setlist provided by setlist.fm (order not 100%), link posted by ThievesLikeUs. Corrections by Chip, modrevolve, darby1974.

Last edited:
I wanted to go to DC, but I couldn't because of my work schedule. :( Another excellent show...I'm kicking myself now for not going!

It really is a cruel joke on Morrissey's part to continue to pretend that Boz is plugged in. I love the guy, but seriously-- what is he doing?

Unfortunately, this show was no comparison to the Strathmore show in 2012. Started out strong with Suedehead, but only two Smiths song was disappointing (What She Said and Meat is Murder). Voice sounded great, however. Septuagenarian (or maybe a bit younger) failed stage dive and bouncer assisted exit was a nice touch as was Morrissey's one handed catch mid-song of a bouquet of flowers that was immediately heaved back to the audience!

Unfortunately, this show was no comparison to the Strathmore show in 2012. Started out strong with Suedehead, but only two Smiths song was disappointing (What She Said and Meat is Murder). Voice sounded great, however. Septuagenarian (or maybe a bit younger) failed stage dive and bouncer assisted exit was a nice touch as was Morrissey's one handed catch mid-song of a bouquet of flowers that was immediately heaved back to the audience!

The Strathmore show was in 2013 and, looking on the setlist, I would rather choose the setlist from yesterday, to be honest.

Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Action Is My Middle Name
You Have Killed Me
You're The One For Me, Fatty
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
Speedway
Black Cloud
Still Ill
Alma Matters
I Know It's Over
Maladjusted
November Spawned A Monster
People Are The Same Everywhere
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
Meat Is Murder
How Soon Is Now?

Enjoyable show overall. Have to respect that he plays Meat Is Murder w the visuals even though it murders set momentum. A lot of applause at the end of MIM but mostly I think because it was over.

Arrangement of First of the Gang was sort of middling and soft, a little quicker but lighter than the album version. It's an encore, Morrissey, send us home elated!

nl4klk.jpg
I am in my late 40s, attended college in the late 80s, so naturally my attraction to Morrissey is due to the Smiths. I have tried to see Moz several times in my life. I have had 3 Moz cancellations, 1 I had to cancel due to wife being on bed rest, and 1 could not attend due to schedule issues. Finally after 20 plus years I was able to lay my eyes on another 1/4 of the Smiths (I also have seen Johnny Marr so I am half way there). Echostage is in a rough but not really rough part of DC, right on the edge of some gentrification efforts. Its in a very industrial / strip club area of DC. My wife and daughters were there last year to see Lorde so she knew what to expect. We took our 14 year old daughter last night because she knows most Smiths songs (and some solo Moz) by heart. And she had never been to a true club concert.

That being said.........only 2 Smiths songs, and one was the god awful Meat is Murder??? I am a firm believer in you got to dance with the one that brought you, and he failed for me on that end. His voice was in excellent shape, however, and he does look a bit older in person vs pictures. He seemed to have allergies or something because he was wiping his nose a lot. The solo stuff was great, including Ganglord, Speedway, and even the songs from the new album. But Jesus Christ, only 2 Smiths songs?????? And musically, his band can not touch Marr's. And Marr at least appears to be having fun playing, both Smiths and his solo / other work. I knew full well though to expect some prima-donnaish acting from Moz which he did not disappoint. Hey, that is who he is, I get it.

As far as the age of the audience, I call bs. We were 3 rows back from the stage and there were plenty of hipsterish 20 somethings in attendance.

So in summation, glad I am finally able to see him, but I was somewhat let down. Still had fun though.

nl4klk.jpg

oszes0.jpg

Last edited:
Valvano, your review was both balanced and honest, thank you. I hate both when people write blatant lies like, "all old folks" or "not even sold out" just to bash Morrissey and i hate those over the top positiv reviews. "Oh it was his best show" and say the exactly same thing about the next show.

Btw kudos for passing the moz and Smiths tradition to your daugther

This was JMs setlist in Montevideo on Tueseday. Just 19 songs although he is way fitter than Moz? A cover version although he could play another Smiths song instead? Why always the same Smiths songs when they have such a huge catalogue? Why don't people criticize him more?

Playland
Panic (Smiths)
The Right Thing Right
Easy Money
25 Hours
New Town Velocity
The Headmaster Ritual (Smiths)
Back In The Box
Upstarts
The Messenger
Generate! Generate!
Bigmouth Strikes Again (Smiths)
Candidate
Getting Away With It
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (Smiths)

ENCORE

Stop Me (Smiths)
Dynamo
I Feel You (Cover)
How Soon Is Now? (Smiths)

Nice review Valvano and great pics. I went to the Echo Star web site to view pictures of the club and it looks great! Just how a concert should be seen: Standing. I like the balconies as well. I would be interested to know how the energy of the crowd was.

nice try.

Exactly. they are always empty , even when sold out :p

I've been to 3 Moz gigs in the last 6/7 months. They were packed but there was always someone here saying it was only 1/3 or 1/4 full. LOL

We almost went once Stubhub tickets dropped under $25 but just couldn't muster the will to go to that horrible venue.

LOL thats right that old dude tried a stage dive. never seen so many older gents sitting together at a concert. hardly anyone stood and the house was half sold tops. the videos and world peace song stamp out any enthusiasm the old folks may have brought with them

I hate those over the top positiv reviews

What if some people feel like that about a show? Do they, now, have to fear to come to this side and share a 100 percent glorious and joyful review because they might be accused of being insincere? Great, really great.

^ I had never been to echostage before (but my wife and daughters had), it seemed like a more spread out 930 club. The floor was pretty vibrant but the balcony did look pretty weak. One thing that was funny was that the merch table was selling posters with the cancelled dates from last year. We tried to get a set list from the crew afterwards and they refused to give out any to anybody. And they had the typical fight for the thrown shirt.

We did pick up a conversation with some others when leaving about the meat is murder video and the general consensus was that if you grew up on a farm or in an agricultural setting, what you saw was no big deal. My grandfather used to take me to lifestock auctions when I was little and I can remember being scared to death of the shock stick things they used to drive the hogs down the pens. But then again, I was also scared to death as a kid of those blow up clown punching bags! I feel I can live morally right doing vegetarian a few days a week and the others I stick to organic cruelty free local products. I mean, if God didn't want us to eat meat why did he give us sharp teeth?

And one more thing to add, from what I could tell Morrissey does not use ear monitors??? Guy must be going deaf.

Nice review Valvano and great pics. I went to the Echo Star web site to view pictures of the club and it looks great! Just how a concert should be seen: Standing. I like the balconies as well. I would be interested to know how the energy of the crowd was.

The crowd was pretty quiet. Not really into clapping even when Moz tried to get it started. DC is pretty jaded; we get so many shows.
Yeah, it was probably the lack of Smiths songs & concentration of World Peace cuts that kept the energy level low.
Also, weeknight...you can't really partake in adult beverages if you have to work a couple hours later.
Oh, and I had to get Security because someone passed out on the ground floor. Hope he's ok.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom