You think you were my first love
You think you were my first love, but you're wrong
You were the only one
Who's come and gone
You were the only one
Who's come and gone
Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: Steven Morrissey / Stephen Street
I Know Very Well How I Got My Name lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, BMG Rights Management

I’m going to say yes. But, I think most people who are so musically compatible fall in love in the beginning. Even if only briefly.

A child in a curious phase
A man with sullen ways
Oh, I know very well how I got my name
You were the only one
Who's come and gone
When thirteen years old
Who dyed his hair gold ?
Oh, I know very well, I don't need to be told
You were the only one
Who's come and gone
You were the only one
Who's come and gone
Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: Steven Morrissey / Stephen Street
I Know Very Well How I Got My Name lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, BMG Rights Management

So many misinterpret this song. It’s Morrissey singing to his younger self.

:cool:

:hammer:

my question is, would he still be in love with the old johnny marr? or was he only in love with the young johnny marr? like would he have actually wanted to grow old with him seeing the way he's turned out or does he figure he dodged a bullet? all im saying is, johnny marr could never be a member of suede now.

how many times has this been discussed on here,does it really need a poll.they were mates and thats it,unless M says different then we will never know.

I feel sure that morrissey loved Johnny but I don’t know if he was in love with him. Love is complicated

Of course he was but Johnny was straight, so it was hopeless - in the Smiths years Moz used to say he had only ever loved 'from afar'.

Their responses have varied over the years - Johnny's main variant being, "No because Angie, but yeah, in a way, but no.." and the Moz variant being "Yes but not sexually" (inferring that JM lacked the nerve).

"Were you in love with Johnny Marr?"

"Why doesn't anyone ever assume that Johnny Marr was in love with me? That perhaps Johnny Marr was madly in love with me, but didn't feel he could act on that - or that he didn't have the courage to ever take it any further?" - Morrissey, i-D magazine, 2003.
------

"Were you in love with Morrissey?"

"No because I was in love with Angie, but we definitely loved each other" - Johnny Marr, The Guardian, 2016

"Morrissey and I had a super-intense, close relationship, as close as it can get without being physical.. but for him to have crossed a line would have been a serious misjudgement." - Johnny, quoted in Meetings with Morrissey, 2008.

Last edited:
The link isn't on YouTube now but Morrissey once did a promo interview for a midnight radio show, "Night Line" in 1984 - I'm sure someone here will have it. Anyway, it's quite wide-ranging but at one point, a caller rings in - seemingly just to torment the poor git about Johnny.

Caller: "I saw Johnny Marr up at (Round Table?) tonight and he had lots of teeny-boppers hugging him and kissing him...what do you think of that?".

Morrissey - "“I can’t understand it, I don’t know how anybody could possibly hug and kiss Johnny. I don’t know, I think it’s really quite natural that if you’re not obese and you’re not incredible ugly that you will collect admirers if you appear on television (…) perhaps he’s just incredibly loveable?"

- Host infers something about musicians exploiting fans -

Moz: "Are we talking about exploitation or just a peck on the cheek?"

Listener - " Well they had hands round his neck, giving him big sloppy kisses and that.."

Moz - "Yes, yes"

Last edited:
:handpointright::guardsman: :handpointleft: is super gay FFS. before he could get dudes to schnoggle with him since most dudes assumed he was a girl
:handpointdown:

iu

it was only after the first date, that the dudes got the BIG SURPRISE!?

now that he has hit a wall he is desperate for dates check out the billboard
where is now trolling for dude dates, totally desperate

?

iu

with this derelict look chances are slim of hooking up with some dude?

Of course he was but Johnny was straight, so it was hopeless - in the Smiths years Moz used to say he had only ever loved 'from afar'.

Their responses have varied over the years - Johnny's main variant being, "No because Angie, but yeah, in a way, but no.." and the Moz variant being "Yes but not sexually" (inferring that JM lacked the nerve).

"Were you in love with Johnny Marr?"

"Why doesn't anyone ever assume that Johnny Marr was in love with me? That perhaps Johnny Marr was madly in love with me, but didn't feel he could act on that - or that he didn't have the courage to ever take it any further?" - Morrissey, i-D magazine, 2003.
------

"Were you in love with Morrissey?"

"No because I was in love with Angie, but we definitely loved each other" - Johnny Marr, The Guardian, 2016

"Morrissey and I had a super-intense, close relationship, as close as it can get without being physical.. but for him to have crossed a line would have been a serious misjudgement." - Johnny, quoted in Meetings with Morrissey, 2008.

People always try to stir up some scandal. Very sad.

Anyone who has worked close creatively with another person and doing so has opened up emotionally to that other person through the process of creation, knows about this kind of love
that is inevitable. It’s not sexual, it’s spiritual.

my question is, would he still be in love with the old johnny marr? or was he only in love with the young johnny marr? like would he have actually wanted to grow old with him seeing the way he's turned out or does he figure he dodged a bullet? all im saying is, johnny marr could never be a member of suede now.

It's Johnny that definitely dodged a bullet. Thank goodness he left when he did. He saved himself and we have a pristine catalog of music that will live forever.

The link isn't on YouTube now but Morrissey once did a promo interview for a midnight radio show, "Night Line" in 1984 - I'm sure someone here will have it. Anyway, it's quite wide-ranging but at one point, a caller rings in - seemingly just to torment the poor git about Johnny.

Caller: "I saw Johnny Marr around town tonight and he had lots of teeny-boppers hugging him and kissing him...what do you think of that?".

Morrissey - "I don't understand it. I don't know how anybody could possibly want to hug and kiss Johnny, erm [...] perhaps he's just incredibly loveable?"

Listener - "they had hands round his neck, giving him big sloppy kisses and that.."

Moz - "Yes, yes"

do you or anybody else have that interview? i want to listen to it

Back
Top Bottom