Was "Action", "Kids a Looker", and "People..." recorded during the 2014 World Peace sessions?

MozIsGod

Does anyone know if Action Is My Middle Name, The Kid's a Looker, and People Are The Same Everywhere were recorded during the 2014 World Peace sessions? Perhaps any attempts (possibly) and maybe Morrissey deemed them unworthy and eventually discarded them?

Scandinavia and Art Hounds were also performed live prior to the album sessions and eventually were recorded and released as b-sides, so I was a bit surprised to see the three tracks omitted when the album was released, especially considering how much Morrissey had promoted them on the previous tours.

Yeah, that wasn't what was asked.

Interviews with Joe Chiccarelli about the album seem to indicate that Moz sent him 26 demos - without vocals - prior to the recording of World Peace. I would think if they were planning on recording those three songs at the sessions, he would've sent the Studio in Session recordings, but I suppose it's entirely possible that he could've sent Joe demo versions of those songs.

Last edited:
"Action Is My Middle Name" is a fair to middling B-side. Hopefully, the other two were actually buried in Scandinavia...

"Action Is My Middle Name" is a fair to middling B-side. Hopefully, the other two were actually buried in Scandinavia...

Action Is My Middle Name is a straight reworking of I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris. That Janice Long session was embarrassing for the sheer awfulness and unimaginative nature of the 'tunes', such as they were.

Action Is My Middle Name is a straight reworking of I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris. That Janice Long session was embarrassing for the sheer awfulness and unimaginative nature of the 'tunes', such as they were.

Yup. Remember loading up Youtube on my phone the morning after that session to hear the songs and just visibily deflating.

However, he did well with World Peace..., in my opinion, so that won me back around.

I quite like "Action..." but the rest of the 2011 songs are terrible, "Scandinavia" included. Never quite saw what all the fuss about "Art Hounds" was, either. It has it's moments, but like several Morrissey songs, one clunker lyric line tarnishes the entirety of the number ("....fat Aunt Mable")

Action was quite a refreshing addition to the live set - but wouldn't perhaps suited the album, at least in the form it was recorded for that TV show...

But I think the real reason those tracks weren't featured/re-recorded is that they were released as Playboys B-sides years earlier?

Action was quite a refreshing addition to the live set - but wouldn't perhaps suited the album, at least in the form it was recorded for that TV show...

But I think the real reason those tracks weren't featured/re-recorded is that they were released as Playboys B-sides years earlier?

No they weren't. They got their first outing on the Janice Long session. And were met with mass indifference.

He also neglected proper studio versions of I'm Playing Easy to Get and Noise is the Best Revenge for the 2005 Ringleader sessions with Visconti. Now that I think about, I do think Boz mentioned on his website's Q&A column at the time that Playing Easy to Get was tried in Rome but they weren't pleased with the results.

He also neglected proper studio versions of I'm Playing Easy to Get and Noise is the Best Revenge for the 2005 Ringleader sessions with Visconti. Now that I think about, I do think Boz mentioned on his website's Q&A column at the time that Playing Easy to Get was tried in Rome but they weren't pleased with the results.

"I'm Playing Easy To Get" was supposedly recorded at the sessions in summer 2004 that yielded "Friday Mourning," "I Am Two People," "Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice," and "No One Can Hold A Candle to You." It was announced by Siren Disc as being a bonus track on the YATQ Platinum Edition.

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=04/10/01/1544240

The other tracks announced for this edition were released as B-sides to "I Have Forgiven Jesus" along with "The Public Image."

True, I thought Action (at the time) was the best of the bunch and among Boz's best post-Quarry contributions.

Yup. Remember loading up Youtube on my phone the morning after that session to hear the songs and just visibily deflating.
I can clearly remember feeling the same at the time. I was so excited for the broadcast, then when I actually heard them, my heart dropped.

In the most recent poll here of all 250 or so Smith and Morrissey songs, 'People are the same' and 'Kids A Looker' were voted the two worst songs in the entire back catalogue. They are frighteningly awful both musically and lyrically. Makes it all the more impressive that the World Peace songs were so good. I'd prefer it if we could just forget the People and Kid were ever written.

In the most recent poll here of all 250 or so Smith and Morrissey songs, 'People are the same' and 'Kids A Looker' were voted the two worst songs in the entire back catalogue. They are frighteningly awful both musically and lyrically. Makes it all the more impressive that the World Peace songs were so good. I'd prefer it if we could just forget the People and Kid were ever written.
I'd like to see that poll. Not sure I voted. Do you have a link?

I like all 3 songs but I prefer the Janice Long sessions of Action and People to the Studio in Session versions of these 2 songs and prefer the Studio in Session version of Kid's to the Janice Long Session of that song.
I don't think anyone seems to know if these 3 songs were recorded during the World Peace sessions.

I'm not certain I'd label them both THAT low, personally. However, yes, not great. What really amuses me about "People..." is that it has survived numerous band members leaving and being replaced (I count two bassists and two drummers who have played it live) being learnt again when it's an unreleased in-studio track. Hardly worth the commitment.

Had Moz secured the record deal sooner than 2013/14 I imagine they all would have featured on the new album, however when the band finally did get to record, the songs had been played extensively live whereas Scandinavia was played less and Art Hounds only once live so maybe they felt fresher with those.

Back
Top Bottom