Vulture article: Johnny Marr on the Best of the Smiths, His Solo Career, and Fever Dreams Pts 1–4 (February 2, 2022)

Excerpt:

Something about making The Queen Is Dead you’ve never shared publicly

The Smiths have been pretty much done to death really by everyone who was involved, and plenty of people who weren’t. It’s a shame that so much was said without the benefit of maturity and hindsight and that there were so many agendas going around for so many years. But I guess it’s all part of the band’s kind of complicated story [annotation].

The truth was that there was loads of love in it. So maybe that’s the story that everybody is missing. Maybe that’s a surprise that everybody who is still interested needs to be reminded of: One of the reasons why they liked the sound of it and why it sounds the way it does is because there’s so much love in it. And there was love in the making of it. There was love in the writing of it. And sure, there was drama, but what you hear was a result of stone-cold love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey: My freedom of speech is being attacked! Let me say what I want!
Also Morrissey: Johnny is not allowed to speak about me. :paranoid:

The way some of the remaining Morrissey hardcore fans are behaving and expressing themselves on Twitter already resembles an unpleasant cult. Everything that stands in the way of their idol is verbally attacked. It's pathetic for a The Smiths and Morrissey fan to personally attack Johnny Marr and to think, you have the right to insult him loudly, as the small Smiths fan you are. What do you little lights know about the real relationship between Morrissey and Marr? Nothing @ all! Some of you really haven't had an upbringing and are blaring your crude opinions into the Twitter bubble. A few years as a fan, otherwise no purpose in life and no manners. In the end, everyone has the fans they deserve.
Yah but you can't judge a fanbase on twitter and this site. I know Moz fans who don't use twitter or Moz Solo. I think most people are reasonably well adjusted. Unsocial media seems to attract the extreme ends of society. The anonymous agitators.

There’s nothing anywhere that suggests that the album is delayed Baz, I think someone on here mentioned their purchase via Amazon is delayed.
Yah that was me. I just meant the vinyl release date for Amazon, and the date changed back again today to early March. I think I muddied the water with my comment.

Yah but you can't judge a fanbase on twitter and this site. I know Moz fans who don't use twitter or Moz Solo. I think most people are reasonably well adjusted. Unsocial media seems to attract the extreme ends of society. The anonymous agitators.
Agreed but I used to connect with people like that on Twitter because in 2016 you were still an enthustiastic Morrissey fan. There is no "neutral" fan there anymore. Hate with us against critics or unfollow. Otherwise, you are not a real fan and you don't understand anything! I would estimate the radical group (shrill, loud, abusive and self-absorbed) around Fiona, which unconditionally fights critical tones, to be about 50 people worldwide. Which should roughly correspond to the number of Twitter pre-orders for BOT.

Last edited:
:)
Little Pep is enamored of Moz , 35 yrs later its Moz Moz Moz.
its incredible to see, it doesnt seem real. Maybe he quit the Smiths hoping Moz would send an enchanted caboose to bring him back.doh:
he cant accept that Moz cant stand him FFS hes totally annoying.
he just made ANOTHER suco album-which is now DELAYED btw-
but does he make interviews about it? No/does he make interviews about his 'palys' hes always name dropping? Bernard the wanker from NO? the slow train from the Mouse? Bryan Ferry needs a guitar player for his group, who does he NOT call? LePepe.:)
everyone one of those twats love LePepe as long as hes over in Manc obsessing over Moz.(y) making interview after interview about Moz
while his CD the supposed reason for the billion podcasts, is DELAYED:squiffy:

something is not kosher in wigland, thats to put it mildly:hammer:

Good interview. I'm happiest when Marr gives detailed insights into the making of any of the recordings he's on. like to hear about process. I had hoped for more of this in Morrissey's autobiography, but maybe he thought people weren't interested. Dunno.

Or even how the hell Morrissey comes up with endlessly inventive catchy melodies. He's one of the best at it in the last 50 years of pop. I feel this is undeniable.

Yeeeeesssss!!!!!!
Oh, this could have been awful, he could have gone low, but no.

"Maybe that's a surprise that everybody needs to be reminded of (...) There was drama but what you hear is a result of stone cold love".

I think Mr Redacted will like that.
I think Mr Redacted will like that a LOT.
Good man Johnny ♥️
Yes, Im with Amy, on this one.

I think it was a remarkable hand by Johnny and one, as a fan of Both Smiths and M, I am very grateful for
Johnny could have let the attack dogs , rip M apart- and they would of in the UK, M would of taken a hit in the USA also- The Simpsons thing was a pretty spot on indicator of how most Americans think. of him these days
Those Morrissey Disco's don't sell as many tickets state side, lately
While the Marr Haters play to a small crowd of incels, mocking into a void. excited by the decoration of another persons breakdown - "I just live for these bitchy moments" blah blah blah

Meanwhile, Jessie Tard and Fiona Pathetic. keep tying to show their master they are loyal little worker bee's . While really showing, anyone with a brain what complete cretins and leaches they really are and ultimately helping dig M, further into the crap

Johnny didn't wish to carry on hurting.
He saw, what a few others of us saw, they saw M, was a man in pain, pained to the point that any playful knock by Marr sent his spiralling - Imagine if Marr was as hateful to M, as M ended up being to Bowie? (and M loves and loved Bowie, anyone can see why he was being so hateful..If Bowie invited M around to The Castle Bowie, M would have been there like a shot "Everybody knows, everybody said so " )

Marr saw the main thrust of his open later , hung around the lines " You found me inspirational enough to make music with me for 6 years. If I was, as you claim, such an eyesore monster, where exactly did this leave you? "
In short, "You loved me once"

But, as I say, what with his Mum dying, M is very fragile and I think Marr saw that, and was reminded just how fragile and sensitive M can be.
So, this interview was him saying " It's ok, I haven't forgotten"

I am still amazed someone on here, said 18 months is enough time to get other the death of his mother.
Are some people not capable of feelings, empathy and understanding?
From my experience, you never ever get over a death of a loved one, not really and 18 months in, is when the shock is gone and all that is left is the loneliness of loss. The fact they are no longer there, is everywhere

I think , the main point of the open letter could have been publicity ..But maybe, just maybe all is not lost
Remember the Marr has left Smiths type letter that SOMEONE sent the NME, maybe this one will work, where that one failed

PS as much as I agree with M's point that maybe just maybe Marr needs to not mention M, or at least not so much and certainly , enough of the digs just because he can
We all know M, has always been an easy target

As much as I agree with that, I think some on here, are just being moronic,
I do not think M was trying to start a M v's Marr war- and if he was doing that for publicity, thats just anther way of using the smiths to help reboot HIS "career" , a tacky, cheap way that will take far more than it gives

Marr was in the Smiths too. Sure it was M's words and world that made the Smiths special but it was mostly Marr's drive that got the band off the ground and it was his music that meant so much to people
He also helped bring the "football casual " element to the bands audience, that M got so excited by.
And yes Marr and the other two , really did stick up and protect M, they still do .

Its obvious that it was BOTH of them, that helped make the Smiths so important.
So, he can say what the hell he likes about his old band and guess what M was in that band, so of course at times, he will mention is name...Hopefully that letter will help stop him being a trendy wendy M Hater .
I love all the people Johnny hating on here , as if Jesse and Alain are anyway as good. Jesus christ, get a clue
All Jesses little creeping suck up comments, he is so stupid even Tony Visconti threw shade at him and staid he was dumb . Alain, who is a nice guy has also been pretty tragic in his suck up ways.
All those "remember me Morrissey" type videos and social media updates

I just want this little phase to move on and a new LP to drop , for gawd sake .
I mean he probably has two nearly made now .
Maybe he will want to tour again, if his new lp is out- he didn't seem that into it at any of the vegas shows, in my mind and usually there would be some gigs talked about by now.

Get that new lp out there fella, let get going..we will be dead soon

Yes, Im with Amy, on this one.

I think it was a remarkable hand by Johnny and one, as a fan of Both Smiths and M, I am very grateful for
Johnny could have let the attack dogs , rip M apart- and they would of in the UK, M would of taken a hit in the USA also- The Simpsons thing was a pretty spot on indicator of how most Americans think. of him these days
Those Morrissey Disco's don't sell as many tickets state side, lately
While the Marr Haters play to a small crowd of incels, mocking into a void. excited by the decoration of another persons breakdown - "I just live for these bitchy moments" blah blah blah

Meanwhile, Jessie Tard and Fiona Pathetic. keep tying to show their master they are loyal little worker bee's . While really showing, anyone with a brain what complete cretins and leaches they really are and ultimately helping dig M, further into the crap

Johnny didn't wish to carry on hurting.
He saw, what a few others of us saw, they saw M, was a man in pain, pained to the point that any playful knock by Marr sent his spiralling - Imagine if Marr was as hateful to M, as M ended up being to Bowie? (and M loves and loved Bowie, anyone can see why he was being so hateful..If Bowie invited M around to The Castle Bowie, M would have been there like a shot "Everybody knows, everybody said so " )

Marr saw the main thrust of his open later , hung around the lines " You found me inspirational enough to make music with me for 6 years. If I was, as you claim, such an eyesore monster, where exactly did this leave you? "
In short, "You loved me once"

But, as I say, what with his Mum dying, M is very fragile and I think Marr saw that, and was reminded just how fragile and sensitive M can be.
So, this interview was him saying " It's ok, I haven't forgotten"

I am still amazed someone on here, said 18 months is enough time to get other the death of his mother.
Are some people not capable of feelings, empathy and understanding?
From my experience, you never ever get over a death of a loved one, not really and 18 months in, is when the shock is gone and all that is left is the loneliness of loss. The fact they are no longer there, is everywhere

I think , the main point of the open letter could have been publicity ..But maybe, just maybe all is not lost
Remember the Marr has left Smiths type letter that SOMEONE sent the NME, maybe this one will work, where that one failed

It's almost certain that this interview was done weeks, if not months ago and it was probably timed to coincide with his album release. Perhaps it was released earlier to capitalize on the current kerfluffle. I think most people might be surprised, and I have read a lot of articles on the Smiths, but this is how Johnny ALWAYS talks about the band - with positivity and love through the struggle. That's why the open letter was so off as to make me wonder what is going on with Moz to make him write that. It's like he wants to erase himself and the Smiths' achievements. Really, Johnny's been his best image rehabilitator through these long articles and interviews, he always focuses on the amazing music. Isn't that what it's all about?

I think most people might be surprised, and I have read a lot of articles on the Smiths, but this is how Johnny ALWAYS talks about the band - with positivity and love through the struggle. That's why the open letter was so off as to make me wonder what is going on with Moz to make him write that. It's like he wants to erase himself and the Smiths' achievements. Really, Johnny's been his best image rehabilitator through these long articles and interviews, he always focuses on the amazing music. Isn't that what it's all about?
It's one of the great shames that whenever Johnny is interviewed, he talks about the song-writing/recording process, and how those records were made. When Morrissey is interviewed, the music is frequently barely mentioned, as it's all about his politics and world views.

Anyway, in my opinion, Johnny has gone extremely easy on Morrissey in recent years (eg the period when Moz has more blatantly gone down the alt.right wormhole). Every time Morrissey opens his mouth and comes out with some dodgy statement it damages the legacy of The Smiths, and makes a large chunk of people less inclined to listen to them. Plenty of people I know have already dumped Morrissey from their record collections, it's only Johnny continuing to fly the flag for the band that has stopped The Smiths being pulled down as well.

The worst I've heard from Johnny in interviews, is that he and Morrissey are different people with different views, things ended badly between them. and a sarky joke about the Smiths reforming with Nigel Farage on vocals (which, seeing as Moz said in an interview 'it’s obvious that he would make a good Prime Minister … if any of us can actually remember what a good Prime Minister is', seems fair game to me). He could easily have gone the full Billy Bragg/Dave Haslam/Uncle Skinny route, and be calling Morrissey out constantly in public and attacking him - but he's clearly been (mostly) holding his tongue, when he could have been burying him in the press. The fact that Moz doesn't see and appreciate this is a great shame.

He's "successful" because the smiths legacy that Morrissey kept alive. By his own, its a pretty low career

I’m guessing this interview was done before Morrissey’s letter(?)
Most likely so. And then edited after Morrissey’s open letter. So Morrissey’s name was replaced by REDACTED.

I loved what JM had to say about the making of TQID. There was a lot of mutual love for the songs they crafted together. That love for the songs was still there when recording Strangeways too. And that spark is still there as they both continued to perform Smiths songs.

Precisely because I believe this interview predates their latest fall-out, I don’t see this as an attempt by JM to offer an apology. I appreciate there are other views. Sorry for spoiling the party then.

It's just an unfortunate wet dream some people are having in which there is a scenario that Morrissey is losing fans here in the US, it's actually the opposite.
Some of you know as much about that as you do our politics, but that doesn't stop you from continually posting your uneducated and immature opinions.

The way some of the remaining Morrissey hardcore fans are behaving and expressing themselves on Twitter already resembles an unpleasant cult. Everything that stands in the way of their idol is verbally attacked. It's pathetic for a The Smiths and Morrissey fan to personally attack Johnny Marr and to think, you have the right to insult him loudly, as the small Smiths fan you are. What do you little lights know about the real relationship between Morrissey and Marr? Nothing @ all! Some of you really haven't had an upbringing and are blaring your crude opinions into the Twitter bubble. A few years as a fan, otherwise no purpose in life and no manners. In the end, everyone has the fans they deserve.
I haven't posted to him but I have read some of the posts and people are just reacting to what he said, even people who love him think he's wrong.
They absolutely have a right to respond to what he said on his social media where he posted it. That is what twitter is for. I personally don't like it, but he does and uses it to blast people, so he should be prepared for some blowback. He can block people he feels are too aggressive.

It's almost certain that this interview was done weeks, if not months ago and it was probably timed to coincide with his album release.

I agree.

Perhaps it was released earlier to capitalize on the current kerfluffle.

I agree.

I think most people might be surprised, and I have read a lot of articles on the Smiths, but this is how Johnny ALWAYS talks about the band - with positivity and love through the struggle. That's why the open letter was so off as to make me wonder what is going on with Moz to make him write that. It's like he wants to erase himself and the Smiths' achievements. Really, Johnny's been his best image rehabilitator

through these long articles and interviews, he always focuses on the amazing music. Isn't that what it's all about?

is this focusing on the amazing music? ......

"...it didn’t come out because of some politics between Morrissey
and the producer, which was a shame.
.”

Oh yes again, Morrissey the bad guy. :rolleyes: That was really an unnecessary comment by Marr.
He could just as easily said ‘that it didn’t work out between us and Troy’.

Listen, I couldn’t care less, but Morrissey seems to read these interviews a little differently than you or I.

Luckily, post open letter, Vulture were sensible enough not to turn it into some clickbait headline, like....

Politics between Morrissey and first producer, Smith’s recordings scrapped!

$$$

Morrissey spent his entire career slashing other people in interviews and everybody believed it was thoughtful and funny.

Yes, true. But there was no humor or creativity in Marr’s tweet.

Apples to oranges.

Morrissey: Johnny is not allowed to speak about me. :paranoid:

cute, but did Morrissey have the power to give Marr the permission to speak about him in the first place? well then, Morrissey also does not have the power to not allow Marr to speak about him again or anything.

Nowhere in the open letter did he say ‘Johnny is not allowed to..’

The open letter was a request, and the why behind it. It was not a demand, or a threat.

It’s up to Marr, and Morrissey knows that.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom