Vulture article: Johnny Marr on the Best of the Smiths, His Solo Career, and Fever Dreams Pts 1–4 (February 2, 2022)

Excerpt:

Something about making The Queen Is Dead you’ve never shared publicly

The Smiths have been pretty much done to death really by everyone who was involved, and plenty of people who weren’t. It’s a shame that so much was said without the benefit of maturity and hindsight and that there were so many agendas going around for so many years. But I guess it’s all part of the band’s kind of complicated story [annotation].

The truth was that there was loads of love in it. So maybe that’s the story that everybody is missing. Maybe that’s a surprise that everybody who is still interested needs to be reminded of: One of the reasons why they liked the sound of it and why it sounds the way it does is because there’s so much love in it. And there was love in the making of it. There was love in the writing of it. And sure, there was drama, but what you hear was a result of stone-cold love.

Last edited by a moderator:
O O O:lbf:

so the album has been "DELAYED"☄️
the months of pap about the maginficent :lbf:
cd, "im going to deliver what a LePep album should be"
only for the dumb cd to be delayed.:mad:

🙇‍♂️
what a coincidence, first he makes a panic proposal to write
notes on the cd if someone actually buys one, AND NOW after
the cd is DELAYED🤦‍♂️

not looking good for LePep and his half dozen pepsters🎳

:hammer:

Man, are you guys sensitive! Are you saying that Johnny is not entitled to an opinion on Morrissey or that everything he says about Moz should be complimentary? Morrissey certainly doesn't abide by those rules!

"If ya can't see the con, then ya
the one gettin' conned."
- Missouri Sweet Turk

I’m guessing this interview was done before Morrissey’s letter(?)

It could be seen that way.

‘which was a shame, because that was how the band sounded. But, you know, I think he was right in the end."

Of course Morrissey was right. Porter’s mixes are far superior, though, not as good as they should have been, as Marr in a way says. But we all know that, while still loving it.

Ain't no could about it.
Wild T is seein' it that way.

He's saying it's a familiar pattern, if you look at Marr's interviews over the years. And he's right. It's always in there, the little veiled dig. Because he knows that's the little nugget of gold in the interview, that's the only reason anybody wants to interview, it's certainly not because they're genuinely interested in his godawful songs or his umpteenth attempt to convince people that The The are worth listening to.
The The are brilliant with or without Marr. Soul Mining is one of my favourite albums ever.

:rolleyes:

insufferable. it had been overthought and overdone but would like to produce it.:lbf:
he never stops. hes like the Dr Phil of the Smiths. why doesnt he psycho babble Isaac from the Mouse?
or Bryan Ferry? or the dumb Bernard? go over there dis their records and re produce them.😡
you are going to fix the smiths after all the suco records you ve made?
Calling Marr insufferable is almost too kind🐸 Poor Little LePep seems to have gone off the rails because Morrissey is not responding to his further bad behavior

That little cartoon Simpsons Johnny he used is from the epi about Moz?
How embarassing for him that he would even think to use it, and again everything is about Moz, that episode was not even about LePep (unless there's one I don't know about, which is possible)

It's true tho that he does try to analyze things thru some sort of intellectual lens, but completely lacks intellect, he truly is very unintelligent and at one point was talking about how much he read Sylvia Plath. He thinks saying he reads chick lit that girls read in high school makes a grown man sound worldly:unsure: (Dr. Phil :lbf:)

Almost that entire interview is Look at me, I was in the Smiths!!:ahhh: You have to wonder why other bands don't get equal time and you have to further wonder what those splits were like. Did he leave? Were they just relieved he left? :ahhh:

I doubt Bryan Ferry actually even likes him, but you never seem him banging on about Ferry's conservative views. (I am a fan, btw) Also, I have to wonder why he was never asked to join a lot of these musicians he played with, probably because he is obnoxious.

Everyone here probably knows the story Bernard told about him, that Johnny was running down a sidewalk past a store with big glass windows and could see his reflection and was looking at himself and ran straight into a pole. It was funny and told in good humor, but when repeated to Johnny, he seemed a bit furious and started insisting Bernard be asked about some other night they were together, with Seal, I think? So Bernard was asked and he told it, and it was nothing.
I think if people did have something unflattering to say about Johnny and I feel sure they do, they just don't because he throws an all out hissy fit and it's not worth it. :drama:

*fka Johnny who?

:straightface:
FFS how many more interviews is going to make? 2-3 a day?
same gloop every day?
"little pep which is your best american melody and your best uk melody"? what kind of a moronic interview is that? LePepe wouldnt know
any melody if it was laid atop his wig. what kind of an interview is this? MELODY LePepe??:lbf:

he has been:

https://c.tenor.com/ELpaBibSMnUAAAAM/gtfo-get-the-f***-out.gif

from all groups, Macca, Bryan Ferry, the Mouse group, Crib group ALL GROUPS all have removed him he knows but one dumb:guitar:
which is on every single song on his suco solo cds
the pretenders immediately fired him. an incredible amount of groups sucy groups have had to remove him. 🤦‍♂️

'but for Moz i would be with tate' WTF cant you call him on your gossipy phone? wtf is wrong with you Little Pep? 6o yrs old and
acting like a schoolgirl, whats up with you?
why the interviews anyways you dumb suco CD is DELAYED:blush:

🙄
You trying to say the new cd
Has been delayed or something ?

Johnny continues to allude to Moz, but now Moz is the unnameable the unnamed, the NNMOZ

Nothing controversial here and yet some of you make it seem like there's drama.
Of course there's a ton of recent interviews coming out. He's doing promotion and actively working.

Nothing controversial here and yet some of you make it seem like there's drama.
Of course there's a ton of recent interviews coming out. He's doing promotion and actively working.
Mozbots love drama! They just thrive on negative energy. The funny thing is it is fueling interest in Johnny. Has Moz got a deal yet?

We had the first attempt at it; it didn’t come out because of some politics between [redacted] and the producer, which was a shame, because that was how the band sounded. But, you know, I think he was right in the end.

It's hilarious to hear how utterly desperate the Moz-philes are to try and read everything Johnny says as some vicious attack on Moz. Even when he says he was right - oh no, they clutch their pearl necklaces in horror - what a scurrilous attack! How could he say anything so cwuel! :lbf:

According to Marr’s 2016 autobiography, Rough Trade head Geoff Travis assigned Troy Tate, the Teardrop Explodes guitarist and fellow labelmate, to produce the record. Moz didn’t like the results, and the band decided to rerecord the album with Bryan Ferry collaborator John Porter. “I could hear myself that the mixes sounded underproduced and were not the finished article that we needed as our introduction to the world,” wrote Marr. “Why it was deemed necessary to scrap the album entirely rather than just mix it again I didn’t know, but I wasn’t going to make too much of it or spend too much time thinking about it. It was a document of how the band really were at that point though, and it was the last time I saw Troy.”

It's hilarious to hear how utterly desperate the Moz-philes are to try and read everything Johnny says as some vicious attack on Moz. Even when he says he was right - oh no, they clutch their pearl necklaces in horror - what a scurrilous attack! How could he say anything so cwuel! :lbf:
Marr is stil being petty and passive aggressive. The redacted thing is just ridiculous, Morrissey asked to be left out of it and a new interview comes out where he is mentioned again. Marr cannot ever man the f up and take responsibility for himself, he is pathetic. The way he went on and on about Rick Astley and Blossoms is also evidence of his thin skin, bad temper and overall bad personality.
Marr again resorts to revisionist history, the story about the first album is not about Morrissey and 'politics', which is a narrative Marr keeps trying to push - Morrissey and politics. Morrissey was not the only person unhappy with the sound of the first album, he wasn't even the first person to mention it, Geoff Travis didn't like it, Marr is just making shit up now. This story has already been told and Marr isn't even telling half of it, this is an example where he could talk about his own personal experience recording the album, but he chooses to tell it from Morrissey's point of view, which is exactly what Morrissey has rightly accused him of.

Last edited:
Marr is stil being petty and passive aggressive. The redacted thing is just ridiculous, Morrissey asked to be left out of it and a new interview comes out where he is mentioned again. Marr cannot ever man the f up and take responsibility for himself, he is pathetic. The way he went on and on about Rick Astley and Blossoms is also evidence of his thin skin, bad temper and overall bad personality.
Marr again resorts to revisionist history, the story about the first album is not about Morrissey and 'politics', which is a narrative Marr keeps trying to push - Morrissey and politics. Morrissey was not the only person unhappy with the sound of the first album, he wasn't even the first person to mention it, Geoff Travis didn't like it, Marr is just making shit up now. This story has already been told and Marr isn't even telling half of it, this is an example where he could talk about his own personal experience recording the album, but he chooses to tell it from Morrissey's point of view, which is exactly what Morrissey has rightly accused him of.

I believe Morrissey was in the band the Smiths with Marr when they recorded the first album. Why shouldn’t Marr talk about him when asked? I believe it was Morrissey that requested his name not be mentioned, that is why the writer has humorously redacted it. Marr was there at the start of the Smiths and can tell his story his own way. His story is not subject to anyone’s approval, including yours.

I believe Morrissey was in the band the Smiths with Marr when they recorded the first album. Why shouldn’t Marr talk about him when asked? I believe it was Morrissey that requested his name not be mentioned, that is why the writer has humorously redacted it. Marr was there at the start of the Smiths and can tell his story his own way. His story is not subject to anyone’s approval, including yours.
Are you ever anything but tedious? Obviously not.

maturity and hindsight,the two things his reply lacked.imagine bryan ferry put out an open letter saying johnboy please stop mentioning me in interviews,its getting boring now.
good old johnboy his album should be called name-dropper then name-dropper now,thats actually quite catchy.
hail hail to the good guys.

The way some of the remaining Morrissey hardcore fans are behaving and expressing themselves on Twitter already resembles an unpleasant cult. Everything that stands in the way of their idol is verbally attacked. It's pathetic for a The Smiths and Morrissey fan to personally attack Johnny Marr and to think, you have the right to insult him loudly, as the small Smiths fan you are. What do you little lights know about the real relationship between Morrissey and Marr? Nothing @ all! Some of you really haven't had an upbringing and are blaring your crude opinions into the Twitter bubble. A few years as a fan, otherwise no purpose in life and no manners. In the end, everyone has the fans they deserve.

He just can't help himself
He is just a low class piece of trash
Morrissey spent his entire career slashing other people in interviews and everybody believed it was thoughtful and funny.

Excerpt:

Something about making The Queen Is Dead you’ve never shared publicly

One of the reasons why they liked the sound of it and why it sounds the way it does is because there’s so much love in it. And there was love in the making of it. There was love in the writing of it. And sure, there was drama, but what you hear was a result of stone-cold love.

No, the reason we liked it and still do is that this is a good damn album with great songs.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom