Voting Closed and some BAD news...

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1074

As you all should know by now voting for the "Cultural Icon Show" has been closed. Which is sad. BUT that isn't the bad news...

The BAD news is I was reading on the forum of the BBC Cultural Icon Show and a moderator left a comment on there saying that "not only will multiple votes not be tallied but even the original vote by the voter will be eliminated as well"...how can they tell you may ask? IP addresses. Every internet provider has a distinct IP address that identifies you. And no matter how many cookies you clear your IP address DOES NOT change.

So, if there is truth to what the moderator said it looks like all of us who spent hours at a time giving multiple votes to Morrissey are shit out of luck.

so, how did Moz get into the top 3? do you mean he actually got to the finals by a large number of independent voters?

they were talking the talk. i bet they were just scaring away multiple voters.

Politics will decide who wins. It's already predetermined.

they were talking the talk. i bet they were just scaring away multiple voters.

Politics will decide who wins. It's already predetermined.

i agree with you
i bet it will be mccartney
now that he has divorced his one legged wife and is an alleged wifebeater, it will be just another reason to bring his name up in the news and an invitation to spread more rumors about the whole thing.
thats how media works.
and i really would like to see morrissey win for once..
...just so that hicks i have to live around will believe me he's not a fictional character.
actually, skratch that, i don't care what they think.

The BAD news is I was reading on the forum of the BBC Cultural Icon Show and a moderator left a comment on there saying that "not only will multiple votes not be tallied but even the original vote by the voter will be eliminated as well"...how can they tell you may ask? IP addresses. Every internet provider has a distinct IP address that identifies you. And no matter how many cookies you clear your IP address DOES NOT change.

That would be a daft thing to do, for the BBC. Agreed, you can clear out cookies and vote again - however, do they consider public access computers where the IP does not change, but the user instead? How do they handle dynamic IP addresses - that still allow one and the same voter to vote more than once (if he or she clears cookies)? I guess they could check the time stamp (if the same IP votes 100 times in 1 minute, chances are high it's the same voter ...). Oh well, it seems to me to be a strategy to calm down some posters there, or maybe they're filtering just the clearest cases of obstinate voting?

Moreover, never on their FAQ or website do they explicitly state that voters have only one vote - or at least I didn't find it (and I looked for it).

Bottom line: internet polls are open to all kind of manipulation.

And Morrissey? Well, judging from the message boards at the BBC, he's just about the only one who gets so passionately defended, and so viciously attacked. That's a good definition for an icon.

Icons don't need polls - and Morrissey has already won.

good. I was one of those reasonable people voting only once.. (But I did it on all my friends computers too:p ):rolleyes:

well, this is probably for the best. JOHNNY BALL should've won.

he's, like, the greatest, 'n' stuff.

as i said in another thread... i reckon they will be able to see all the cheating abound for the moz vote.

+ attenborough will win as he makes programmes for the BBC etc etc...
:(

so, what about the votes that have been done thru the proxify site? are those valid at least?
and doesn't the IP adress change every time you dial in?
I don't know these technical details.
And how realistic is it that the BBC 'culture show' people even take the time to check the proxies? I mean - this is not a vote for the president - who would take this THAT seriously? It's time and money.

By the way: if you're a family with 3 kids and you don't have 5 computers then only one person can vote with this cookie and ip-adress control. not very democratic, is it?

Last edited:
It is a BBC Poll.
One of the finalists is a BBC employer.

Not saying he wouldn't deserve it (and would rather it be him than the bloke who wasn't even the greatest bloke in the Beatles) but something to bear in mind.

The 'Conspiracy Theory' Goat

It is a BBC Poll.
One of the finalists is a BBC employer.

Not saying he wouldn't deserve it (and would rather it be him than the bloke who wasn't even the greatest bloke in the Beatles) but something to bear in mind.

The 'Conspiracy Theory' Goat
Yeah, I totally support that theory..

After the fiasco of the BBC Sports Personality of the Year. I think that Moira Stewart will win.

She has actually got younger as we all get older!!! Look at her in the early 80s and look at her now.

I did say this multiple voting wouldn't work... somewhere, sometime, someplace.

Zara PUCKING Phillips:

An ode (courteosy of the 606 debate)

ZP,
You are the lovechild of CrackCrack/Scorchio,
You trot your horse so gaily,
and go out with that rugby bloke,
Everybody loves equestrian all of a sudden,
Plum duff is Christmas pudden,
Well done ZP,
CrackCrack says can you set Uncle Lord Loveaduckfree?,
It was just a misunderstanding,
At that primary school in Chelsea

Use the force (aka star wars)
Repeat after me...
"Morrissey will win"
"morrissey will win by a large margin"

positive thoughts everyone....
:) :)

Well, if we managed Lennon why can't we take McCartny aswell?
:)

John Lennon was murdered on Dec. 9th, 1980. I have a friend who lives next door, and I walk over that spot in front of the Dakota all the time. Even after all these years, I still get tears in my eyes.

As Morrissey noted, there will be no more punk rock (Lennon wrote "My Mummy's Dead" before punk was a movement). The age of idealism and silly aesthetic dreamers is over.

If someone murdered Morrissey, I suspect the jokes would start up right away, and folks like us would be laying down flowers and crying...

So sad :(

Back
Top Bottom