Vote Fantastic Failure: great Kristeen Young video

I like the music, I just never have been able to deal with her voice. She hits the notes quite fine, but there's just something about the tone that seems strained, unnatural. And not in a way that particularly interests me. But overall, the video kept my attention, and the song's not bad.

"Take Me Seriously"?!
Look at you. Listen to you. Dressed like a dominatrix and singing lyrics that sound like they were written by a heartbroken 16 year old.
That song of hers, London Cry, was quite good though.

But this time, I'm afraid I'll have to say no to KY. And it's not often I do that.

Yeah this is truly awful. But this is what happens when you make great album after great album and no one notices.You begin to doubt yourself and wonder, "how can I dilute this, how can I make it sound more palatable to the masses, how can I compromise?" And sadly that is what she's done here.

Her albums X and The Orphans and even The Kindness of Strange are really, really good. But I think here she is trying to find Gaga's lobotomized audience, but -thank God- she's still just a tad too good to succeed at that. Sad that she is trying anyway.

And the little kids following her around...that's really sad. And not in a good way.

Kristeen has always had the problem of not knowing what to leave out of her songs...

Examples: the ending of 'Protestant' and the middle of 'Wake The Dead'...oh, yeah, and Patrick Stump in 'That's What It Takes, Dear'...

Kristeen has always had the problem of not knowing what to leave out of her songs...

Examples: the ending of 'Protestant' and the middle of 'Wake The Dead'...oh, yeah, and Patrick Stump in 'That's What It Takes, Dear'...

Man...every syllable you just wrote is 100 percent right.

Jeff always struck me as kind of a douchebag but it bugs me that she turned him into a little black girl. Is he even still in the band?

And I use the term "band" lightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Take Me Seriously"?!
Look at you. Listen to you. Dressed like a dominatrix and singing lyrics that sound like they were written by a heartbroken 16 year old.
That song of hers, London Cry, was quite good though.

But this time, I'm afraid I'll have to say no to KY. And it's not often I do that.

She sings a song about being left behind that reduces me to tears everytime. Though the packaging might seem confusing to someone not patient or sharp enough to connect the dots of what she's doing, the emotion is very real in her songs which is not very common these days.

Your signature is hilarious, btw! :D

She sings a song about being left behind that reduces me to tears everytime. Though the packaging might seem confusing to someone not patient or sharp enough to connect the dots of what she's doing...

Truly great rock and roll is not elitist nor does it, or should it, require "patience." It IS possible that this is a crap song, you know. Just because someone doesn't like it, it's a bit absurd to accuse them of philistinism or attention deficit disorder.

And I say this as someone who genuinely enjoys a great deal of her older records.

Man...every syllable you just wrote is 100 percent right.

The girl has so much potential...but it does come off as she's trying to be TOO artsy sometimes. It is really sad that in a way she isn't succeeding because of herself.

Yeah but the artsy thing doesn't really bug me that much; some can't do it at all no matter how hard they try (Gaga) but KY pulls it off effortlessly; even if she destroyed her every occasional impulse toward contrivance, ultimately I don't think she could change a tire without making it seem nuanced. I think she is just one of those people who was born different.

Where I think pretention comes in is when she becomes too aware of her differences, and intentionally milks them. Or overmilks them. Although I guess that is just a more convoluted way of saying she is occasionally too artsy, which brings it full circle, but I don't know.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that to me, her best songs are the least crafted-sounding ones, where all the natural brilliance shines through, which is pretty much all of X and large portions of The Orphans and the first couple. And maybe half of the last one. I'm not hugely in love with Breasticles, but there are some incredible songs on there. I don't like the way it sounds, though, and this song is kind of going back in that direction.

But having said that, I also like Marley's Ghost quite a bit, and that song is pretty f***ing out there. So I don't know. Maybe it's just this track that doesn't appeal to me, and even then its probably just the video.

I really hate the video.

Back
Top Bottom