Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

++++++

It's a god-eat-god world
I'm probably asking for trouble for posting this, but that's alright. C'mon, fess up... I know that at least a few of you must have heard the new Coldplay album. Don't be scared to admit it. Loudly and proudly proclaim your opinion of it herein.

I personally think it's a fantastic album, probably their best yet. I think the purported "experimental" nature of the album was hype on the part of journalists who associate Brian Eno solely with ambient music and sound experiments. The songs are (for the most part) pretty straightforward, albeit with some interesting arrangements and instrumentation. Brian Eno's touch is evident on the album, though; there's definitely a U2-style guitar-group-hero aura surrounding most of the songs, and there are quite a few unmistakably Eno synth washs and instrument treatments . The album as a whole is unarguably overproduced, but with a producer like Eno that's a plus, not a negative.

A few words about specific songs:

Cemeteries of London - I like the song but I have no idea why Chris Martin would call it Coldplay's attempt at a Smiths song. Sounds nothing like them.
Lost! - Wow. Such a great song. Has a very warm, earthy sound to it. I can picture this being a future single, as well as the catalyst for massive stadium sing-alongs when they play live.
42 - Many time changes in the song; goes from a typical Martin-and-piano dirge into a Radiohead style rock-out, and then a bouncy guitar pop outro. Love it.
Yes - Has a very Middle Eastern (or at least George Harrison's take on it) sound. Very nice song.
Chinese Sleep Chant - Probably my favorite song on the album (and a hidden track at that). Sounds a lot like My Bloody Valentine; it's all swirling guitars and Martin sing-sighing "Sleep / Fall asleep / Sleep Satisfied" over and over.

Anyone else around here give it a listen yet? What do you think?

PS: I know that a good deal of people don't like Coldplay, but I don't think I'm being overbearing when I say that I'm much more interested in people's opinions (both good and bad) of the new album itself rather than the band in general.

Last edited:
I've listened to it once so far, and I liked it overall. I think my favorite song at the moment after first listen was and is "Lovers in Japan". I also really like "Life in technicolor".
I'm not that into Coldplay though, but I like most of their singles, and I love "Fix you".

By the way...Chris Martin has also told journalists that "Lost!" was inspired by the song "Sing" by Blur. You could hear it in the demo version of it I think, but not as much in the album version.

I'm probably asking for trouble for posting this, but that's alright. C'mon, fess up... I know that at least a few of you must have heard the new Coldplay album. Don't be scared to admit it. Loudly and proudly proclaim your opinion of it herein.

I personally think it's a fantastic album, probably their best yet. I think the purported "experimental" nature of the album was hype on the part of journalists who associate Brian Eno solely with ambient music and sound experiments. The songs are (for the most part) pretty straightforward, albeit with some interesting arrangements and instrumentation. Brian Eno's touch is evident on the album, though; there's definitely a U2-style guitar-group-hero aura surrounding most of the songs, and there are quite a few unmistakably Eno synth washs and instrument treatments . The album as a whole is unarguably overproduced, but with a producer like Eno that's a plus, not a negative.

A few words about specific songs:

Cemeteries of London - I like the song but I have no idea why Chris Martin would call it Coldplay's attempt at a Smiths song. Sounds nothing like them.
Lost! - Wow. Such a great song. Has a very warm, earthy sound to it. I can picture this being a future single, as well as the catalyst for massive stadium sing-alongs when they play live.
42 - Many time changes in the song; goes from a typical Martin-and-piano dirge into a Radiohead style rock-out, and then a bouncy guitar pop outro. Love it.
Yes - Has a very Middle Eastern (or at least George Harrison's take on it) sound. Very nice song.
Chinese Sleep Chant - Probably my favorite song on the album (and a hidden track at that). Sounds a lot like My Bloody Valentine; it's all swirling guitars and Martin sing-sighing "Sleep / Fall asleep / Sleep Satisfied" over and over.

Anyone else around here give it a listen yet? What do you think?

PS: I know that a good deal of people don't like Coldplay, but I don't think I'm being overbearing when I say that I'm much more interested in people's opinions (both good and bad) of the new album itself rather than the band in general.

I am really liking what I have heard so far, You don't mention Strawberry swing, that is the song I am really liking just now.

as much as i like coldplay..own two records by myself..
to my opinion it's just boring..too experimental..
i quite like viva la vida..violet hill..and lovers in japan..but that's it..
I'm a bit diappointed..i expected s.th different..:tears:
more catchy..maybe i should give it a try again:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom