"Viva Hate" Instrumental Night. Tonight.

B

Brel

Durutti Column play the Bridgewater Hall tonight (Manchester), supported by John Metclafe. Both Vinni Reilly and Metcalfe played on Viva Hate. Infact Vinni saved the album by playing a variety of instuments (not just his signature guitar perormance) to improve its sound after Morrissey was unhappy with Stephen Streets "wooden" production. No wonder Vinni is a bit pissed about getting no credits on the reissued cd!

Vinni has a unique style that is so heavilly stamped on Viva Hate.

Really looking forward to it!

Re: Hope you have a good time. fill us in with how it went.

Yes, please fill us in. Since Reilly will NEVER come to Oklahoma I must live vicariously through others (I have had a lot of practise at that.)

Are most shows all instrumental? I, for one, would be disappointed if Reilly did not sing a few numbers. I am one of the few who love his fragile, anorexic vocal --more the timbre of an interior dialogue (at ones most vulnerable) than a corporeal voice-- his somber, disappointed delivery.

I think I am going to re-listen to Tempus Fugit -- certainly his best, most melancholic record -- now!

pic205341.jpg

Well. you asked!

Another rainy September night in Manchester. The Bridgewater Hall was about half full last night. Vini came on stage in his trademark non showbiz manner and thanked everyone for coming, thanked Bruce, thanked Factory, thanked Tony Wilson and then thanked us all again?

Bruce had a little play with his drum kit and declared "Thats the soundcheck" and he wasn't joking. Vini promised to try to play all the right notes and nearly did. He never makes any promises about his timing!

The first few numbers were a bit ropey with Vini and Bruce often keeping completely different times to each other. Three songs in and "Jacqueline" makes an appearance, giving Bruce the chance to show off with his sticks (keyboard break left out, insert another percussion moment instead).

Played a lot of new stuff tonight, mixed with classics like "Otis". John Metcalfe joined them for a number, bass player they have been using for a while, some woman on vocals (for one track) and another woman on "samples" who pressed on key about 6 times and left?

A few familiar faces in attendance, plus members of I am Kloot and Alfie, who in true Manchester style were completely ignored all night.

Not the best Durutti gig I've been to, at times it seemed like a rehearsal, but we make allowances for Vini, the poor fragile thing!

Back
Top Bottom