Vini Reilly needs cash!

Unbelievable. On the twatter page it says he needs money to pay his 1200 quid a month rent. How about moving to a cheaper place?

Very sad news, even if Vini has been out of the music business for a long, long time - but why beg on Facebook? If he can barely afford the essentials he should do what other unemployed people have to do and go down to the local Jobcentre.

Re: Vini Reilly needs cash

Very sad news, even if Vini has been out of the music business for a long, long time - but why beg on Facebook? If he can barely afford the essentials he should do what other unemployed people have to do and go down to the local Jobcentre.

Couldn't Vini ask a local venue such as Cornerhouse / Night and Day / Deaf Institute to have a gig?

This is indeed sad news. I can't believe that a talented and unique musician like Vini Reilly can't get work within the music industry.

Couldn't Vini ask a local venue such as Cornerhouse / Night and Day / Deaf Institute to have a gig?

He had a stroke and he can't really play anymore, so I don't think that would be feasible. Even if it were, I don't think a Vini Reilly gig would sell enough to cover the £1,200 plus utility and food costs. In truth, I don't know anyone who would even recognise his name. It's staggering to me that someone who once touched the fringes of fame and found plenty of work as a session musician is now so poor that even rent is a struggle. Did the work dry up so dramatically? Johnny Marr survived on session work for decades but he's never been poor - he still lives in the same house he bought 20 years ago.

He had a stroke and he can't really play anymore, so I don't think that would be feasible. Even if it were, I don't think a Vini Reilly gig would sell enough to cover the £1,200 plus utility and food costs. In truth, I don't know anyone who would even recognise his name. It's staggering to me that someone who once touched the fringes of fame and found plenty of work as a session musician is now so poor that even rent is a struggle. Did the work dry up so dramatically? Johnny Marr survived on session work for decades but he's never been poor - he still lives in the same house he bought 20 years ago.

Ooops, I didn't know he had a stroke. :(

Surely Davie will come to his rescue...

*Shakes head*
''Johnny Marr survived on session work for decades''
Yes, it must have been hard for the millionaire Marr to survive doing ''session work'' all those years!
Marr's royalty cheques per year will have been greater than Reilly's royalty cheques during his entire career.

Pity he can't get his hands on all those 'Viva Hate' royalties. Cos he did co-write all of it of course....

Can't he flog his guitars off if he hasn't already, they must be worth a good few thousand at least plus all his equipment, if he's apparently had a stroke and cant play anymore why doesn't he just sell them. 1200 quid for a months rent is ridiculous, he needs to get.off his boney arse and get a proper job.

*Shakes head*
''Johnny Marr survived on session work for decades''
Yes, it must have been hard for the millionaire Marr to survive doing ''session work'' all those years!
Marr's royalty cheques per year will have been greater than Reilly's royalty cheques during his entire career.

You’re right, of course… but whose fault is that? Durutti Column never really ‘hit the heights’ of fame in the first place, and they went down with the good ship Factory in the early 90s. That means Vini has essentially been doing nothing but sit on his arse in Didsbury for twenty years and live off whatever earnings he made in that period, supplemented by a bit of session work. What ordinary person would be afforded the luxury of doing that? And who would be lazy enough, given a place in the music industry, to rest on their laurels for so long and wait for the money to run out?

My comparison with Marr was misjudged because the Smiths reached a far greater audience and he could have comfortably retired on that alone – but God, even Andrew Ridgley isn’t begging on Facebook for rent money, and he’s probably the biggest also-ran in the industry.

Every review of Reilly I’ve come across has been confused and undecided about him; some called him a lazy chancer who happened to be in the right place at the right time for a few years, others said he wanted the work and never found the right audience. It’s sad to see anyone struggling to live, but he’s not a victim of anything other than his own laziness.

Since it's still the Season of Goodwill and so forth, could we maybe turn the empathy up a notch? Sure, maybe he needs to look in the window of Manpower to see if anyone's looking for a disabled guitarist, maybe he blew it all on the horses, maybe he should have thought about a pension sooner. Whatever. I'm pretty sure he doesn't deserve the ignominy of having to sell his possessions to get by.

Given that there's an international audience here, why doesn't everyone send an email to their local indie radio show requesting a Durutti Column track? If enough people did it, the royalties would be maybe not a king's ransom, but a meaningful amount compared to £1200 for a set of headphones.

Morrissey is the one who should be coming to his rescue. He's the one always bragging about how he's so gentle and kind. He hates the greedy Royal family but I'm hard pressed to recall him donating to any cause whatsoever. What does he have to spend his money on besides his boyfriend and making signs telling us he's the 'real poet laureate' ?

For your interest

Morrissey is the one who should be coming to his rescue. He's the one always bragging about how he's so gentle and kind. He hates the greedy Royal family but I'm hard pressed to recall him donating to any cause whatsoever. What does he have to spend his money on besides his boyfriend and making signs telling us he's the 'real poet laureate' ?

In December 2007 Morrissey made a donation to Salford Lads Club.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=07/12/28/1634239

Just to be clear, the £1,200 figure quoted is for outstanding unpaid rent. That's not how much he pays a month.

Are you someone that knows Vinni, dlgladwin?

I was wondering if he has thought about giving private lessons. Surely that would be an easy fix?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom