Very rare Smiths Belgian TV footage

Lazarus

Hello
a friend of mine working at the (main) national tv station in Brussels sent me this link today, where you can watch a young Moz and the band mime to TCMan on the belgian (rock) tv show 'Generation 80', broadcasted 19dec 1983.

What i can remember was that there was also an interview with the journalist/presenter that introduced the song but i couldn't find it anywhere since i have the internet.
Funny that since then, said woman is still working for our national tv station but for way more serious programmes such as the news or political shows.
As far as i know, she's a diehard Sparks fan btw.

http://blog.sonuma.be/the-smiths/

Last edited:
Are you talking about this?

The footage has been uploaded by our lovely vicarinatutugal. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello
a friend of mine working at the (main) national tv station in Brussels sent me this link today, where you can watch a young Moz and the band mime to TCMan on the belgian (rock) tv show 'Generation 80'.
this must be from '83 or '84, i cannot remember.
What i can remember was that there was also an interview with the journalist/presenter that introduced the song but i couldn't find it anywhere since i have the internet.
Funny that since then, said woman is still working for our national tv station but for way more serious programmes such as the news or political shows.
As far as i know, she's a diehard Sparks fan btw.

http://blog.sonuma.be/the-smiths/

That was great, thanks!

Johnny starts miming his guitar a little late. :)

Nope.
Not this one as the show i'm taling about was on the french-speaking part of our country.
The one you mention is from another belgian tvshow but on the flemish part of the country. (i know, you might laugh about this issue and such a small complicated country we live in). :)

Mmmm Moz in a leather jacket, leather shoes and surrounded by a frightening amount of taxidermy. :blushing:

very cool footage..thanks for posting..looks like it could be late 1983 but per passions the smiths didn't play Belgium till april of 1984..Johnny looks a lot different in the German Rockpalast show a few weeks later.

thts excellent! thanks

accordin to a poster from main board

énération 80 (Score:1, Interesting)
If I'm not mistaken, it was shot before The Smiths' gig at Breekend Festival in Bree (22 april 1984). The gig is sometimes, erroneously, referred to as "Brecon". God only knows why - though I doubt even that. There's a good description of that gig on Stephane Daigle's wondersite.

Taped for RTBF, the French TV&radio station, presented by Fabienne Vande Meersche.

I never saw it on tv though - perhaps due to the too obvious "false start" - it's a fake surprise you read on Johnny's face; and the fact that hardly anybody had heard of The Smiths in those rotten belgian days.

To my knowledge, there were only 2 letters to a (Flemish) fanzine of that time, reporting back about the 1984 gig.

And more I cannot say.
Anonymous -- Saturday March 27 2010, @01:52AM (#350481)

Back
Top Bottom