Very brief Morrissey mention - Lloyd Cole via phacemag.com

Lloyd Cole - PHACEMAG.com
By 'Paulie'.

Intro:

When I first heard Lloyd Cole and The Commotions sing 'Perfect Skin' I had the same feeling as I got from hearing 'This Charming Man' by The Smiths. "Cheek Bones Like Geometry" - "Sexually Enlightened by Cosmopolitan".
I will go on to touch on this, because for me these lyrics were an education. I hadn't heard of Simone de Beavoir, but after Rattlesnakes I had and I read her books. Just as I read Dorian Gray after my introduction to Oscar Wilde from Morrissey.

Excerpt:

"paulie -
I think that's the top answer Lloyd!
I read somewhere that Morrissey was a fan of Yourself & The Commotions - I have to say between you and him I got quite a literary direction...Simone de Beauvoir amongst others from you and Oscar Wilde from him - were you friends?

Lloyd Cole -
We were friends for a year or so, when he moved from Kensington into Wilde's old flat, but he kept changing his phone and then he would send me postcards saying "You don't call me!" I got a little tired of that, but I believe I am still 'Cousin Lloyd.'"

http://www.phacemag.com/lloyd-cole.html

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Moz live in Oscar's old house?
Discussed in 2009.
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/morrissey-in-oscar-wildes-flat.106277/

And a rare snap:
110ac9ac4fd8c2fd888e12af6cee0059--steven-patrick-morrissey-the-smiths.jpg

(This picture is attributed to 'Oscar's old flat', but there is little actual evidence to validate it).

This is tenuous and Cole is able to be debunked via Mozipedia:

"Relocating back to Manchester at the end of 1984, he’d eventually take the lease on a second home on Cadogan Square in Chelsea where he remained until the late 80s. The location seems to have been influenced by his love of Oscar WILDE who was famously arrested in the Cadogan Hotel in the next road, Sloane Street; nearby Sloane Square was also mentioned in the lyrics of 1988 B-side ‘HAIRDRESSER ON FIRE’. ‘It was a bizarre building he lived in,’ recalls Smiths soundman Grant Showbiz, ‘his flat felt like a big, old lonely place.’ Morrissey himself described it as ‘very dark … the flat is at the back [of the building] and it has no natural daylight. That was the deciding factor. It’s very closed, very away from the world. Nobody can get to me and if there was a fire I would probably die. It’s full of books and pictures and records and old furniture. A very musty place.’"

Unless anyone knows otherwise, it seems a bit of 'colourful' remembering by Mr.Cole.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
'famously arrested'. Wilde was informed that the police would take him, Oscar could've take a couch and take the boat to France, as He did when the morning He got out of Reading . What I say is His mother say if you run, I won't accept you as my son anymore, so that's a bit the story about Wilde's arrest at the Cadogan Hotel, but nnever knew Morrissey lived there

Thanks for the 2009 info FWD

When I was car shopping back in the early 1990s, the car seller saw the Morrissey sticker on my car and said "When Lloyd played my college campus, Morrissey would attend and sit in the first row" with additional commentary (that she stated as fact) that all knew he was there to seduce Lloyd and that Lloyd was not having it. All hearsay, of course.

after what he has came through with his health its good that hes still going.orange juice were a great group with some fantastic songs.

Discussed in 2009.
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/morrissey-in-oscar-wildes-flat.106277/

And a rare snap:
View attachment 42707
(This picture is attributed to 'Oscar's old flat', but there is little actual evidence to validate it).

This is tenuous and Cole is able to be debunked via Mozipedia:

"Relocating back to Manchester at the end of 1984, he’d eventually take the lease on a second home on Cadogan Square in Chelsea where he remained until the late 80s. The location seems to have been influenced by his love of Oscar WILDE who was famously arrested in the Cadogan Hotel in the next road, Sloane Street; nearby Sloane Square was also mentioned in the lyrics of 1988 B-side ‘HAIRDRESSER ON FIRE’. ‘It was a bizarre building he lived in,’ recalls Smiths soundman Grant Showbiz, ‘his flat felt like a big, old lonely place.’ Morrissey himself described it as ‘very dark … the flat is at the back [of the building] and it has no natural daylight. That was the deciding factor. It’s very closed, very away from the world. Nobody can get to me and if there was a fire I would probably die. It’s full of books and pictures and records and old furniture. A very musty place.’"

Unless anyone knows otherwise, it seems a bit of 'colourful' remembering by Mr.Cole.

Regards,
FWD.

The picture above is the Moz Mansion {Beechmount} in Altrincham {shot by Kevin Cummins on 5th of September 1989.} The one in which Granada filmed the 'The Norwood Builder' in 1985 {prior to Morrissey's acquisition}.
Which as far as í am aware is still occupied by the Mother of Moz. But í could be wrong.
í doubt if he's sold it though, but he certainly hasn't fully resided there since the early '90s.
í believe Joyce, Michael tried to get his rhythm mits on it at some point, in lieu of loot. But í could be wrong.

As for the Wilde assertions, Lawrence Watson photographed Morrissey in Oscar Wilde's old residence at 34 Tite Street in Chelsea. Morrissey chose the location. The shoot was for the cover of 'City Limits' magazine in 1986. Here is a selection ~

tumblr_oqjrhjagpm1uh8ujqo1_1280.jpg

morrissey-4-croppe_2637913k.jpg

5a7b44ba0c66dde372941e1b5618542e.jpg

9fb594a21e0480d4e79d023b101596ec--big-mouth-esteban.jpg

0dc081925ab3cb520a2b4a395b407118--alma-matters-the-smiths.jpg

Lloyd is confused, but still lovely. There are worse things to be...

The picture above is the Moz Mansion {Beechmount} in Altrincham {shot by Kevin Cummins on 5th of September 1989.} The one in which Granada filmed the 'The Norwood Builder' in 1985 {prior to Morrissey's acquisition}.
Which as far as í am aware is still occupied by the Mother of Moz. But í could be wrong.
í doubt if he's sold it though, but he certainly hasn't fully resided there since the early '90s.
í believe Joyce, Michael tried to get his rhythm mits on it at some point, in lieu of loot. But í could be wrong.

As for the Wilde assertions, Lawrence Watson photographed Morrissey in Oscar Wilde's old residence at 34 Tite Street in Chelsea. Morrissey chose the location. The shoot was for the cover of 'City Limits' magazine in 1986. Here is a selection ~

tumblr_oqjrhjagpm1uh8ujqo1_1280.jpg

morrissey-4-croppe_2637913k.jpg

5a7b44ba0c66dde372941e1b5618542e.jpg

9fb594a21e0480d4e79d023b101596ec--big-mouth-esteban.jpg

0dc081925ab3cb520a2b4a395b407118--alma-matters-the-smiths.jpg

Lloyd is confused, but still lovely. There are worse things to be...

Thanks for that.
The reverse image look up resolves to none of that information - so appreciated.
Regards,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom