Morrissey Central "Vera Lynn" (August 28, 2020)

VERA LYNN IS UK NUMBER 1 WITH PATRIOTIC BRITISH SONG

MORRISSEY DISPLAYS VERA LYNN ON NME FRONT COVER

d4824f3d9449ca7bb6c39e57ed11255c_1_sdurrx.jpg

kevin cummins
photograph

(As seen recently in the condolences thread).
FWD.

....And, it's DAME Vera Lynn to you, MC twit.

...With that kind of respect, how long do you think you would last if Morrissey was a real gangster?

:rolleyes:

Since 1992.

Yes, I’m sure at the time when he was attacked for waving the British flag on stage, he wondered why The Who could drape themselves with it on a album cover,etc and it was fine for them to do so.

Yes, I’m sure at the time when he was attacked for waving the British flag, he wondered why The Who could drape themselves with it on a album cover,etc and it was fine for them to do so.

Yeah - if you watch the gig there's nothing triumphalist or nationalist in it. They took the imagery & bits of National Front Disco & completely distorted it to make it a scandal.

If he was the marketing type he would simply have used it as a springboard to more fame - but it put him into a tailspin.

I see you edited your post.

So...

‘the quality of being patriotic; devotion to and vigorous support for one's country.’

Wouldn’t one need to be filled with pride to identify with a land that they feel is theirs in order to be devoted to it? A belief that they own a land (territory, tradition, culture, etc) and are of a land, and so this identification with it sets them apart from those they believe are going to or are trying to take it away from them?

Is patriotism not identity? a reason to
create a fictional other, to feel prideful and better than a otherness that one believes is not them ?
I edited my post literally seconds after posting the original, in order to provide a definition.
Maybe you were a little too eager to jump on it.

So basically, o well informed MC person, you're telling us Morrissey belts out "on sov'ran bros, beloved" every morning?
What, even when in L.A?
What's the name of that tune then? "Trump and circumstance"?

:rolleyes:

Dumb dumb dumb dumb (no, that's Beethoven)

....Honestly, don't go abroad, MC person. They'll throw rocks at you...

I had that issue of the NME. I used to buy basically any paper or magazine that featured Moz or Suede on the cover (e.g. Select magazine). But then my bro in law dumped everything, including my posters, Marvel comics, and eagle eye action men. Seeing that NME cover now reminds me of my own list of the lost.

"Patriotic British Song"

Jeez. He's gone full Farage. But we knew that.
I never liked the word 'patriotism' cos it gets abused so much. In school I used to be slagged off for liking English bands like The Smiths or The Cure. Meanwhile my tuneless tiresome tormentors worshipped drivel like Hot House Flowers and U2. I was called 'unpatriotic' by some emptyheads. In general my favourite bands are English, my fav comedies are English, and my fav books and TV shows are American.

I never liked the word 'patriotism' cos it gets abused so much. In school I used to be slagged off for liking English bands like The Smiths or The Cure. Meanwhile my tuneless tiresome tormentors worshipped drivel like Hot House Flowers and U2. I was called 'unpatriotic' by some emptyheads. In general my favourite bands are English, my fav comedies are English, and my fav books and TV shows are American.
I think the word patriotism gets confused, (by the ill-advised & the confused), with nationalism. The latter is something quite distinctly different.

I couldn't care less about patriotism, land, family, blood and owning a culture.
I think family is not all about blood, sometimes you form your own family with good friends and they are often better than your own blood.
I don't believe in just one culture, your own. It is healthy for the mind and exiting to discover other cultures and make your own with all the things your learn and discover from around the world.
Land? I don't own any! I've chosen where to live, and that's not my born and bread land. I believe home is where your heart is. That is not necessarily the place where you were born. We are only part of a land when we die.
Patriotism? No thank you! I wouldn't die for my country, for example, because the decision of going to war it wouldn't represent me. I don't care which team wins a sport game, I don't care if I see a flag, I don't care if I meet other British people when travelling... I love my country as I hate things about it too. Patriotism for me imply to love your country and its people no matter what, be blind folded. In the same way, I don't like the term nationalism.
Vera Lynn? Well, I do like her singing and non-related patriotic songs. Like I do with Morrissey, I separate the artist from politics.

I think the word patriotism gets confused, by the ill-advised & confused, with nationalism. The latter is something quite distinctly different.

It's mainly because politicians misuse it to cover up dreadful policies or to whip up votes - so opponents find themselves constantly attacking it & that spills over into symbolic, territorial fights about Union Jack bunting.

It's been a strong brand since Cool Britannia though. It's rare to have a serious challenge to it these days. Of course poor Moz still can't participate. He's forever being sent into the Headmaster's office to explain what he did.

It's mainly because politicians misuse it to cover up dreadful policies or to whip up votes - so opponents find themselves constantly attacking it & that spills over into symbolic, territorial fights about Union Jack bunting.

Yes, I did mention the ill-advised, & confused, didn't I?

It's been a strong brand since Cool Britannia though. It's rare to have a serious challenge to it these days. Of course poor Moz still can't participate. He's forever being sent into the Headmaster's office to explain what he did.

Ahhh the old Headmaster Ritual...got it.

I reckon dude Dylan in the Reseda social media office. I know you are new and it's your turn to post on MC, but don't post a pic from 1983 that's been photo shopped of the California Son holding some Brittish rag with a Brittish lady on the front, the go to is the pic of him being told to hold a Brittish flag wearing the gold shiny shirt at the Island of White festival from 1992 or posting some bullshit about this thing called bricksit or far right or far left or whatever. I know we didn't expect sales on the mporiumuk to drop so much this month after the Airbnb flower house in a foreign country, but maybe it was the California Son insisting of having pics of the California Mom in her bikini at beaches all around Moz Angeles. I reckon the foreign loonie stalkers got mad and jealous fark arse aye chipper curry fek'll inn nnn nnnnn nnnnnnn n it.

Last edited:
I had that issue of the NME. I used to buy basically any paper or magazine that featured Moz or Suede on the cover (e.g. Select magazine). But then my bro in law dumped everything, including my posters, Marvel comics, and eagle eye action men. Seeing that NME cover now reminds me of my own list of the lost.
I hope you thumped the swine....

- Everybody, keep having a discussion aboug patriotism, identity and whatnot, I'm quite happy focusing on pushing the MC idiot ovah the white cliffs of Dovah.
:tiphat:-

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom