Vegetables as dangerous as meat!!

Puddle

Banned
When the E. coli spinach outbreak hit the US a month ago, i had a meat eating asshole "point-out" that vegetarians can no longer use mad cow and similiar diseases as reasons why meat is unhealthy and the modern day meat industry dangerous; since you can say the same about vegetables. Just in case there are some meathead assholes here, let me just point out...From New York Times Magazine, October 15, 2006:

"The lethal strain of E. coli known as 0157:H7, responsible for this latest outbreak of food poisoning, was unknown before 1982; it is believed to have evolved in the gut of feedlot cattle. These are animals that stand around in their manure all day long, eating a diet of grain that happens to turn a cow's rumen into an ideal habitat for E. coli 0157:H7. (The bug can't survive long in cattle living on grass.) Industrial animal agriculture produces more than a billion tons of manure every year, manure that, besides being full of nasty microbes like E. coli 0157:H7 (not to mention high concentrations of the pharmaceuticals animals must receive so they can tolerate the feedlot lifestyle), often ends up in places it shouldn't be, rather than in pastures, where it would not only be harmless bit also actually do some good. To think of animal manure as pollution rather than fertility is a relatively new (and industrial) idea."

The artilce goes on to say that some in the US FDA/politicians are thinking about using technology to solve this problem....mainly radiation. Not only does this go against people who want natural/organic foods (if it becomes rule then everyone must do it), but it will make it too expensive for small farms to grow food. Thus further helping large industrial farms. Of course the problem which needs to be solved is the large industrial feedlots and also the large corporate non-organic vegetable growers.

I eat spinach, it never makes me sick...but this makes me sick.

It's nature's way of telling you not to murder vegetables.

Perhaps get an allotment and grow your own vegetables?:)

That's not all too easy to do in New York City.

I'm convinced my parents have one of the biggest back yard gardens in the Detroit area. They get almost all of their vegetable suppl from the garden and then some (end up freezing a lot for winter soups). Though i tell them to ease on the tomatoes.

I've been saying this for years. It isn't that meat is bad for you, It is the way it is processed. Same goes for fruits, veggies, etc. Free-range is also pretty bad. The only reason to not eat meat is based on a moral stance.

Spinach rocks. I wish there were fast food restaurants where they sold spinach. How cool would that be!

popeye.jpg

Back
Top Bottom