Vauxhall and I portrait

• Thread starter The Original J.T. Ripper
  • Start date
T

The Original J.T. Ripper

I asked this question once, a LONG time ago, as in many years ago. If I recall correctly, a Mr. Wood from Britain responded, but I lost touch with him shortly thereafter....

I am really wanting to put the cover of Vauxhall and I, minus the album title lettering, into a framed picture. Nice-sized, maybe 28-30" on a side, matted, and framed in nice carved dark mahogany wood.

I want the cover exactly as it is on the album, with that purplish hue, but I don't want the lettering -- I just want the picture of Moz alone.

This ebay listing actually is pretty close to what i'm looking for, if anyone happened to see this one -- but the auction is already over :-( :-(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3818342448&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm at a loss as to how to acquire a large quality print worthy of framing, of this album cover minus the lettering. Should I even bother going to Sire or Reprise to inquire about them yanking out the negative or something so I can get one made? Is my request here hopeless?

I know that the Mr. Wood who wrote me a few years ago had a thick poster of what I am describing, decent sized, and we agreed to a price and everything, and I even got the cashier's cheque cut in GBP and everything -- but never mailed it :-(

Any ideas on where to go or how to acquire this so i can frame it and hang in my front parlour? Not only is this the penultimate Morrissey/Smiths album, but it's also the best cover art he's ever had. I love the expression on his face and in his startlingly piercing blue eyes, and the lavender hue adds to the effect greatly.

Thanks,
J.T.

> I asked this question once, a LONG time ago, as in many years ago. If I
> recall correctly, a Mr. Wood from Britain responded, but I lost touch with
> him shortly thereafter....

> I am really wanting to put the cover of Vauxhall and I, minus the album
> title lettering, into a framed picture. Nice-sized, maybe 28-30" on a
> side, matted, and framed in nice carved dark mahogany wood.

> I want the cover exactly as it is on the album, with that purplish hue,
> but I don't want the lettering -- I just want the picture of Moz alone.

> This ebay listing actually is pretty close to what i'm looking for, if
> anyone happened to see this one -- but the auction is already over :-( :-(

>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3818342448&sspagename=STRK
> %3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

> I'm at a loss as to how to acquire a large quality print worthy of
> framing, of this album cover minus the lettering. Should I even bother
> going to Sire or Reprise to inquire about them yanking out the negative or
> something so I can get one made? Is my request here hopeless?

> I know that the Mr. Wood who wrote me a few years ago had a thick poster
> of what I am describing, decent sized, and we agreed to a price and
> everything, and I even got the cashier's cheque cut in GBP and everything
> -- but never mailed it :-(

> Any ideas on where to go or how to acquire this so i can frame it and hang
> in my front parlour? Not only is this the penultimate Morrissey/Smiths
> album, but it's also the best cover art he's ever had. I love the
> expression on his face and in his startlingly piercing blue eyes, and the
> lavender hue adds to the effect greatly.

> Thanks,
> J.T.

this could be done quite simply in photoshop

cheers

More Importantly...

me me me had it right with photoshop and sire will never,, ever make a print of it for you from the film negatives. but anyways, does anyone know why spencer didnt play on vauxhall? I heard the story of gary day and a nasty little happy and a certain "die wanker" incident. If anyone cares to expand on it please do but I've never heard why ol spencer didnt play on it.

as seen below

pic185546.jpg

> as seen below

Yes, true, for the removal of the lettering. But that is a small picture, and I need a high quality negative or original so that it will still look good blown up to nearly 3 ft by 3 ft, yanno?

Cheers,
J.T.

Re: More Importantly...

> me me me had it right with photoshop and sire will never,, ever make a
> print of it for you from the film negatives. but anyways, does anyone know
> why spencer didnt play on vauxhall? I heard the story of gary day and a
> nasty little happy and a certain "die wanker" incident. If
> anyone cares to expand on it please do but I've never heard why ol spencer
> didnt play on it.

1. As for Photoshop, as I stated in my reply to me me me, that only takes care of the lettering. Blowing up that little JPEG to 3ft x 3ft is going to look truly awful, jaggies, etc. Gotta have a high quality, high-rez original print or negative in order to produce something large that looks good.

2. I always wondered about Spencer and V&I too... the only thing I can think of goes back to the rumour swirling around Spencer and his abusive behaviour towards the girls/groupies. I figured Moz might possibly have booted him temporarily while he took care of that problem or something, but then it WAS just a rumour -- I never heard it actually confirmed.

The other odd thing about this is that not only did Spencer and Gary not play on it, but the two who DID (Jonny Bridgwood and Woodie Taylor) just disappeared into the void. Oftentimes, Moz brings back guys that worked with him from time to time, but these two played on his best album of all and then were never seen again in any subsequent Moz release.

J.T.

I think I can help...

The biggest pic is in Peepholism. Granted, it has the writing on, but it is a full page size, and high quality. If I scan that at a high resolution and airbrush the writing out, I can then send it to you and you should have something to go on.

Sk.

Re: vauxhall

> i'll ask around

Much obliged, southpaw... i'll check my email for anything you might post

Wish I'd seen that Display Board on eBay earlier!... gotta be more of those, one would think. Tho.. it didn't have the purple hue like the album cover does.

Cheers,
J.T.

Re: I think I can help...

> The biggest pic is in Peepholism. Granted, it has the writing on, but it
> is a full page size, and high quality. If I scan that at a high resolution
> and airbrush the writing out, I can then send it to you and you should
> have something to go on.

> Sk.

Interesting... I haven't seen that book, will have to check the bookstores around here. With a photo like that, a high quality scanner could probably capture enough detail to make a 30"x30" print look decent. Did that Peepholism book have an article or a caption or anything discussing the V&I album cover, how/why it was made the way it was, etc.?

J.T.

Re: More Importantly...

Johhny Bridgewood played bass on "The Loop" and "That's Entertainment" pre "Vauxhall & I" and later played on "Southpaw Grammar" post "Vauxhall & I".

take it to a proffesional printers. although i am dubious it would look good as it quite crap quality when it is scanned. i dunno mate, just wander into a printers and ask.
cheers

Back
Top Bottom