Vauxhall and I or Your Asenal?

JJKelsall

I've read a lot of reviews lately, and it seems to be these two that are considered the best works put out by Morrissey and I have to agree that they aren't far wrong. I like the other records, but I find that these two are the most consistent in containing strong, origional songs throughout without any particular tracks that I will skip. My personal favourite is Your Arsenal; I love the glam-rock and rockabilly fusion in the opening tracks; the excellent singles, You're The One For Me Fatty and We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful and the mellow, subtle beauty of Seasick Still Docked contrasted with the majesty of the ballad I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday. There is just not one bad track on that album and it is more varied and vibrant than the more mellow, reflective Vauxhall and I.

So what are your thoughts on these two albums and do you think they portray Morrissey at the peak of his carreer?

My vote goes to "Vauxhall and I", although I love them both. Every song on "Vauxhall" is pretty much perfect, from the opener of "Now My Heart Is Full", to "Hold On To Your Friends", "I Am Hated For Loving", The More You Ignore Me..." and "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself", which come 4 straight songs in a row of perfection. Then you have what might be my favorite Moz song ever, the closer, "Speedway". Such a solid album, with a soft, warm production sound. There have literally been days where I've listened to "Vauxhall" 6 times straight through, in a row. It's that good.

Your Arsenal, although I live round the corner from Vauxhall.

They are both resolutely different in their mastery.

Your Arsenal, although I live round the corner from Vauxhall.

They are both resolutely different in their mastery.

Hey you! Long time no see.

Vauxhall goes to dreamyland while Your Arsenal is all business, it's difficult to compare them. They are so different.

I've read a lot of reviews lately, and it seems to be these two that are considered the best works put out by Morrissey and I have to agree that they aren't far wrong. I like the other records, but I find that these two are the most consistent in containing strong, origional songs throughout without any particular tracks that I will skip. My personal favourite is Your Arsenal; I love the glam-rock and rockabilly fusion in the opening tracks; the excellent singles, You're The One For Me Fatty and We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful and the mellow, subtle beauty of Seasick Still Docked contrasted with the majesty of the ballad I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday. There is just not one bad track on that album and it is more varied and vibrant than the more mellow, reflective Vauxhall and I.

So what are your thoughts on these two albums and do you think they portray Morrissey at the peak of his carreer?

They reflect Morrissey at the peak of his solo career creativity. I feel 'Your Arsenal' is the quintessential solo Morrissey album, while 'Vauxhall And I' is the closest he's come in his solo career to The Smiths.

It depends on what you expect from a Morrissey album. What I expect from a Morrissey album is good vocals, good music that allows the band to shine, good lyrics - the less humor and absurdity the better - and good production. Both albums have faults, but musically I prefer 'Your Arsenal'.

Great thread topic! :guitar:
I love both albums, but if I had to pick just one, it would be "Your Arsenal". I think opening the album with "You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side" was a brilliant move because there is so much energy there,right out of the gate. And "YA" contains two of my favorite slower songs: "Seasick, Yet Still Docked", which is just a stunner, and "I Know it's Gonna Happen Someday".
CG summed it up nicely, I thought, when she said:
Vauxhall goes to dreamyland while Your Arsenal is all business.

:thumb:

Last edited:
I haven't listened to 'Your Arsenal' from beginning to end in at least a decade. It sounded good at the time of its release, but got boring quickly. It only has about three really good songs on it: "Seasick...", "We'll Let You Know" & "National Front Disco". Having said that, (like Southpaw Grammar) it's harder, brasher sound still towers, head and shoulders, over "Years of Refusal" (though, admittedly, that's not a major achievement in itself).

I haven't listened to 'Your Arsenal' from beginning to end in at least a decade. It sounded good at the time of its release, but got boring quickly. It only has about three really good songs on it: "Seasick...", "We'll Let You Know" & "National Front Disco". Having said that, (like Southpaw Grammar) it's harder, brasher sound still towers, head and shoulders, over "Years of Refusal" (though, admittedly, that's not a major achievement in itself).

I know what you mean about there being a harder, brasher sound to these albums, which is probably why I like them. I found Vauxhall to be a little too mellow to listen to constantly, whereas You Arsenal for me, has more variety. I quite like Years of Refusal, but I do think that some of the songs, Black Cloud and That's How People Grow Up rank among some of Morrissey's worst songs, but thankfully there are very few in that category.

Back
Top Bottom