Anyone give me a rough idea,value wise,of the following :-

The Queen Is Dead - German green vinyl
Panic - German blue vinyl 12"
Some Girls - German orange vinyl 12"
Still Ill - UK promo 7"
All the normal UK 12" singles
Education In Reverse - Australian release
Viva Hate - Japanese release with obi & Hairdresser 7"

Don't mention Record Collector to me as I find they over price things.Thanks in advance etc

As a very rough guide:

For mint condition.

The Queen Is Dead - German green vinyl - £35-£40
Panic - German blue vinyl 12" - £15 - £20
Some Girls - German orange vinyl 12" - £15 - £20
Still Ill - UK promo 7" - £15
All the normal UK 12" singles - £10
Education In Reverse - Australian release - £30
Viva Hate - Japanese release with obi & Hairdresser 7" - £40

That's what I paid for my copies so should give you some idea. Obviously you can pay a lot less or a lot more on e-bay depending on the usual variables. Personally I don't buy vinyl on e-bay anymore as the word 'mint' is over used.

There Was An Article In Record Collector Magazine With The Top 100 Smiths Collectables In It. There Is A Website That Hosts It But I Cant For He Life Of Me Remember What Its Called??
Maybe Someone Else Here Can????????

There Was An Article In Record Collector Magazine With The Top 100 Smiths Collectables In It. There Is A Website That Hosts It But I Cant For He Life Of Me Remember What Its Called??

It's here.

Peter

I've got it in word, maybe it's easier to use.

As a very rough guide:

For mint condition.

The Queen Is Dead - German green vinyl - £35-£40
Panic - German blue vinyl 12" - £15 - £20
Some Girls - German orange vinyl 12" - £15 - £20
Still Ill - UK promo 7" - £15
All the normal UK 12" singles - £10
Education In Reverse - Australian release - £30
Viva Hate - Japanese release with obi & Hairdresser 7" - £40

That's what I paid for my copies so should give you some idea. Obviously you can pay a lot less or a lot more on e-bay depending on the usual variables. Personally I don't buy vinyl on e-bay anymore as the word 'mint' is over used.

yeah i got the Panic german blue vinyl for less than $10 on ebay...

Same here. The Blue Panic isn't so rare.

Well really, rarity is in the eye of the beholder. The black vinyl German Panic 12" is much more scarce than the blue vinyl.

Ain't that the truth. I'm on a buying hiatus because so much vinyl was in far, far worse shape than was described.

/bitter, and can't recoup my money by selling it because I'd be more honest in my descriptions

I've actually got 2 collections, my main one and a smaller one of items that I bought over the web described as 'mint' when they clearly aren't! Unfortunately being me, when unwittingly I buy a 'poor' condition item, I then have to replace it with a better copy as soon as possible, whatever the cost.

I once bought a so called 'mint' copy of Queen is Dead - green vinyl from a well known dealer (no names mentioned as it's not my style) and before handing over the money asked him to confirm the record's condition just to be on the safe side. He confirmed it was indeed as advertised on his web page, in mint condition. However when it arrived, it could only be described as a maximum ex+! Just to really wind me up, he then e-mailed me to see if I was happy with my purchase. I didn't bother replying as I didn't want to get into a slanging match over the net, I just won't use him again.

Nowdays I only buy vinyl from trusted dealers and at record fairs.

I'd be dubious of anyone that described their item as "mint".

Here's a definition of "mint" i found on the net. I've placed in bold where I particularly agree with their interpretation:

"Mint (M) Absolutely perfect in every way. Certainly never been played, possibly even still sealed.(More on still sealed under "Other Considerations"). Should be used sparingly as a grade, If at all."

Unless they were waiting at the end of the record factory conveyor belt with white gloves, I doubt it is truly "mint".

Supposedly the only thing perfect in this world is God, and I doubt he was running a record plant in the mid '80s.

Instead of taking it on the chin (and the wallet), howabout when they emailed you asking how you liked the record, you say "it's not in a condition i thought i was buying. i'd like to return it for a refund of the purchase price plus cost of shipping"?

Here's a definition of the classification "EX+", which I also agree with:

"The record is basically mint, with is no damage visible even under bright light. The EX+ grade is used by most dealers in place of mint, the reasoning being that a record suffers some damage in manufacture and transit, so can never truly been described as mint".

If you're not happy with a record in that condition, I suggest finding another hobby.

Back
Top Bottom