Utrecht - TivoliVredenburg (Oct. 28, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / Certain People I Know / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Staircase At The University / One Of Our Own / Trouble Loves Me / The Bullfighter Dies / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / Meat Is Murder / Yes, I Am Blind / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / I'm Not A Man // Asleep / Everyday Is Like Sunday

set list provided by an anonymous person.

• Photo by Nick Helderman, from @TiVre_Utrect / Twitter. Link posted by docinwestchester.

utrecht2.jpg
  • Photos by Luuk Denekamp (6 total) - 500px. Link posted by docinwestchester.

utrecht.jpg

Last edited:
Solid show, tame audience. Morrissey in great shape with beautiful voice, buth too many 'soft' songs. And the horrible film played with Meat is Murder dampened the moods. Not a smart choice. Encores where stunning. Fantastic to see Morrissey again, thanks for playing

Tame audience indeed. The smartphone killed the mosh pit...

Good show though.

In Paris too, the film shown during "Meat" was a difficult moment for many of us. Mozz, we are convinced. No need to show us those horrible images.

Well it was great. The audience got a little older and security was young, so no stage invasions alas.

There was a little uproar during the afternoon because morrissey aparantly had stated a venue wide ban on meat in his contract. Some Frans Liszt fans, who held their get-together in another part of TivoliVredenburg weren't too happy about that.

Didn't matter much of course. Although Morrissey is overdoing the anti-meat thing a little too much. His performance of Meat is Murder was a bit 'meh'. The shaky bloody video supporting it was not very inspiring, just gross and out of context. Not something you squeeze between some pop songs.

The bullfighter dies in the pre-show video was cool on the other hand, maybe he can get the message across with something new.

But back to the concert. It started great with the magical trio: Queen is Dead, Suedehead (!) and Speedway. Like always the newest album got way too much attention, but that shouldn't bother people too much. Other classics came around and I think he only missed a Kill Uncle song in the setlist. Certain People I Know was a nice surprise.

The venue was nice, but the bar wasn't ready for so many thirsty people.

Oh well, as said: it was great. Thinking about going to Germany at the end of November.

Good friends of mine surprised me with a ticket to Morrissey’s gig tonight at Vredenburg in Utrecht. If it was up to me, I wouldn’t have gone. And as it turns out, I wouldn’t have missed much.

The set list held no surprises and consisted largely of “World Peace” songs. And let’s face it, that’s not a very strong album. I’m not a big fan of the Magaluf holiday sound. As I made my way to the bath room during “Meat is Murder,” I wished he would get rid of that song. What a stale and boring intermezzo. f***, long lines at the urinals during that one. He ended his gig with "Not a Man." Big letdown.

Morrissey’s singing was powerfull & strong, but his band of amateurs is rapidly destroying what little is left of his career. They can't hold a tune if their life depended on it. Every song sounds exactly the same: one big mess. On the other hand, maybe that makes them the perfect band to play funeral marches like “World Peace Is None Of Your Business.”

I left before the encore.

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
How can you ever go to a Morrissey concert , Hypocrite!

Last edited:
You have nice friends. I saw Moz in LA LA before the tour cancellation fiasco. I also left early. The show was tepid at best, and agree, his current band need to go: No grace and no class. WP is not a strong record and live it is pounded to with an inch of its life by Tobias earnest ham fisting playing. I know folks rave about Matt Walker, but to these ears he is a very uninspiring drummer … he is no Clem Burke or Thomas Wylder.:tears:

Thats odd. All of Walker's efforts are wasted on you. He is a great drummer.
He is also better than Clem. God, thank god you are not a musician with hearing
like yours !

The band are playing great. Why dont you go and watch another artist in the future if
you feel so negative about anything and everything ? I have a friend who was in LA and
they told me that Morrissey's band were fantastic. Also in Santa Ana x

You can also hear it for yourself - on YouTune - if you dont believe them, or me, or want to.

Enjoy,

Hazard
England.

Good friends of mine surprised me with a ticket to Morrissey’s gig tonight at Vredenburg in Utrecht. If it was up to me, I wouldn’t have gone. And as it turns out, I wouldn’t have missed much.

The set list held no surprises and consisted largely of “World Peace” songs. And let’s face it, that’s not a very strong album. I’m not a big fan of the Magaluf holiday sound. As I made my way to the bath room during “Meat is Murder,” I wished he would get rid of that song. What a stale and boring intermezzo. f***, long lines at the urinals during that one. He ended his gig with "Not a Man." Big letdown.

Morrissey’s singing was powerfull & strong, but his band of amateurs is rapidly destroying what little is left of his career. They can't hold a tune if their life depended on it. Every song sounds exactly the same: one big mess. On the other hand, maybe that makes them the perfect band to play funeral marches like “World Peace Is None Of Your Business.”

Eric Hartman,

You go back to the good old days, and are entitled to your opinion, but I wonder
why you have posted this without any kind of thought, style or wisdom, which usually
surrounds your posts, irrespective of whether I or others agree with them or not.

You are the weakest link. My concern is that your hearing needs to be improved. I honestly do not know
what you are trying to achieve with a post like this. The Smiths are over. There is nothing wrong
with Morrissey's band. They have all contributed to the best record Morrissey has ever released.
WPINOYB is better than Strangeways Here We Come. You are the only amateur here, sorry, as this
is so unlike you.

Hazard
England

haha. and we are supposed to believe a word of this? nobody goes to gigs under duress from friends and presumably your good friend stayed for the encore so given that you only went out of politeness, it's safe to assume you didn't abandon your friend before the encore (that's if you were really there at all). regulars here know your agenda. nice try, but you're not fooling anyone.

Yes, well said and thought out. It was spotted.

Hazard
England

I bet your friend won't bother surprising you anymore or maybe He/She should buy you a pair of ears instead!!

This is the setlist, the order is messed up.

The Queen is Dead - Suedehead - Speedway (sang one line of Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now during the breakdown) - Kiss me Alot - I'm Throwing my Arms Around Paris - Istanbul - Certain People I Know - Staircase at the University - World Peace is None of your Business - One of Our Own - Trouble Loves Me - Neal Cassady Drops Dead - Meat is Murder - The Bullfighter Dies - Yes I Am Blind - Kick the Bride Down the Aisle - I'm Not a Man

Encore: Asleep - Everyday is like Sunday

I can't really remember if he played Earth is the Loneliest Planet. It was my first Morrissey concert and I was a bit pessimistic at first, but wow. What a great, great show.

Nice post. Thanks for the news and glad you enjoyed it.
You will never forget that feeling (ever.)

Hazard
England.

The show was great. His singing voice was excellent. Somebody here said the audience was lame. I disagree. During the show and even during the videos pre-show it was very clear that animalwellfare is a big issue. I believe him. He is right . No more meat for me. I will throw whatever meat in my fridge away.
It will be tough but he is right. Meat is Murder was impressive as was The Bullfighter Dies, Yes I Am Blind (litlle sheep on a hill run fast as you can, good christians want to kill you and your life has not even begun). The audience seemee to react positive. Even during the pre-videoshow there was cheering and applause when The Bullfighter Dies came on. This man is a great artist with a strong emotional performance. Highlights for me were: I Am Not A Man, Yes I Am Blind, Meat Is Murder, Asleep, The Bullfighter Dies, Trouble Loves Me.
The dramatic impact he has is undeniable. At least for me. But i can also appreciate his more comical side. The banter etc. He is a truly great artist.

You sound like a miserable idiot!!

Well it was great. The audience got a little older and security was young, so no stage invasions alas.

There was a little uproar during the afternoon because morrissey aparantly had stated a venue wide ban on meat in his contract. Some Frans Liszt fans, who held their get-together in another part of TivoliVredenburg weren't too happy about that.

Didn't matter much of course. Although Morrissey is overdoing the anti-meat thing a little too much. His performance of Meat is Murder was a bit 'meh'. The shaky bloody video supporting it was not very inspiring, just gross and out of context. Not something you squeeze between some pop songs.

The bullfighter dies in the pre-show video was cool on the other hand, maybe he can get the message across with something new.

But back to the concert. It started great with the magical trio: Queen is Dead, Suedehead (!) and Speedway. Like always the newest album got way too much attention, but that shouldn't bother people too much. Other classics came around and I think he only missed a Kill Uncle song in the setlist. Certain People I Know was a nice surprise.

The venue was nice, but the bar wasn't ready for so many thirsty people.

Oh well, as said: it was great. Thinking about going to Germany at the end of November.

Thanks for the news.

Get yourself to Germany while you can and also enjoy yourself (again !)

Hazard
England.

You have nice friends. I saw Moz in LA LA before the tour cancellation fiasco. I also left early. The show was tepid at best, and agree, his current band need to go: No grace and no class. WP is not a strong record and live it is pounded to with an inch of its life by Tobias earnest ham fisting playing. I know folks rave about Matt Walker, but to these ears he is a very uninspiring drummer … he is no Clem Burke or Thomas Wylder.:tears:

I've seen the Jesse Tobias version of the band twice in NYC and I couldn't agree with you more.

Things would be so much better with someone who possesses more skill an ability.

Jesse just destroys so many songs. It's actually pretty sad.

Add in the fact that he can't compose music and the last decade with this guy hanging around can be rightfully considered a crime.

Eric Hartman,

You go back to the good old days, and are entitled to your opinion, but I wonder
why you have posted this without any kind of thought, style or wisdom, which usually
surrounds your posts, irrespective of whether I or others agree with them or not.

You are the weakest link. My concern is that your hearing needs to be improved. I honestly do not know
what you are trying to achieve with a post like this. The Smiths are over. There is nothing wrong
with Morrissey's band. They have all contributed to the best record Morrissey has ever released.
WPINOYB is better than Strangeways Here We Come. You are the only amateur here, sorry, as this
is so unlike you.

Hazard
England

Stop!

You're embarrassing yourself, Hazard.

Please be quiet.

You seem super fun. Maybe we could hang out and play sometime.

There was a comment about no stage invasions. Not true. At or near the end of the gig there were at least 2 or 3 people trying to get on the stage. Security was alert. Did anybody notice the female security guard? I know it has been mentioned before but he must be one of the first performers in popmusic who uses female security staff. Very well done Moz!

Thank you for posting an objective review. Finally someone who can separate the quality Moz production from the garbage that is currently being churned out.

There was a comment about no stage invasions. Not true. At or near the end of the gig there were at least 2 or 3 people trying to get on the stage. Security was alert. Did anybody notice the female security guard? I know it has been mentioned before but he must be one of the first performers in popmusic who uses female security staff. Very well done Moz!

I think I can at least try to understand why he has quite a few detractors or naysayers. Pardon my English, it is not the language I grew up with as a child. I think it must be his strong convictions and emotions.
I don' think it is bothering him. He knows that powerful actions cause strong reactions.
I still feel a bit strange about the haters. I really don't understand.

Thank you for posting an objective review. Finally someone who can separate the quality Moz production from the garbage that is currently being churned out.

You wrote that review.

Just go away. You're getting boring.

Back
Top Bottom