US release of Greatest Hits

Mel_Torment

Dismember
So I bought two copies of the US release of the deluxe version (bonus Hollywood Bowl disc contains an extra track THPGU) even though I have the UK import on vinyl and cd.

The US bonus disc flows better with THPGU. Apparently vinyl was not for sale at Virgin. But the Live @ Earl's Court vinyl was there for $40+ replete with misspellings ("Big Mouth" instead of "Bigmouth" etc.). I already have it on vinyl. I think I paid less for it, something like 14 pounds a year ago. Speaking of misspellings, the info tags that pop up or stream on realplayer when I'm playing the bonus Hollywood Bowl states that his full name is "Stephen Patrick Morrissey". Eh, paging Ouija Board...S.T.E.V.E.N.

Got two free posters with the Greatest Tits. The poster looks just like the cover (Moz eyes closed) with the lavendar symbol patterned background that's also at morrisseydirect.com.

In fact, there's that "coming soon" insert about "a very special Morrissey release" on www.morrisseydirect.com tucked in the part of the sleeve housing the regular disc. I know this has been discussed before, but my interest is renewed in seeing this bit again. "made to order and not available in-store" hmmm....

Saw some of the usual suspects at Virgin, but the turnout was pretty light and low-key. I miss it in the old days when an actual new album was released and there were listening parties and release parties. I remember being overwhelmed at how wonderful Vauxhall & I was. I bought it at a midnight release and nearly crashed my car when I heard "Now My Heart Is Full" for the first time.

I was told that this was not going to be released until next week April 1. It was at FYE who around here are pretty good with new releases. They did have a lot of other titles that were out today. Truly disappointed

I was just looking at the liner notes to Greatest Hits and I see no credit for Sleeve Design. Morrissey used to credit himself with the designs back in the day.

I wonder who thought of all the individual icons for each song on "Hits"?

Billboard/Soundscan Question

Anyone in the know happen to have any clue on how the Greatest Hits release did in its first week of release in the US?

Also, do standard and deluxe editions count together as one number? And, if I'm not mistaken - downloads count towards the number as well...right?

The local record store I go to had sold three copies before I got mine, and it was all the deluxe editions as well.

Checked the Billboard website but couldn't find the info I wanted and I didn't know when all that stuff is updated.

I think Moz can crack the top 100 given that it only takes meager numbers to get on the selling charts these days.

I am pleasantly pleased with the tracklisting, live CD, and packaging of the Greatest Hits release. It just should have been named something else is all, heh.

Re: Billboard/Soundscan Question

I was at Borders (the only place to get music around here anymore) and they only had the regular version, not the deluxe, which was listed as "on the way" in their computers. I don't know whether they sold through what they had, or what, but the regular version was on a new releases display. However... the sale sticker and the price tag largely obscured the sleeve, and especially the long sticker on the left side explaining that it was British Top 20 hits blah blah blah. And the purple gilt "Greatest Hits" title at the bottom was mostly hidden under the security sleeve it was in. So you could sort of see Moz' face. Sort of.

I was at Borders (the only place to get music around here anymore) and they only had the regular version, not the deluxe, which was listed as "on the way" in their computers. I don't know whether they sold through what they had, or what, but the regular version was on a new releases display. However... the sale sticker and the price tag largely obscured the sleeve, and especially the long sticker on the left side explaining that it was British Top 20 hits blah blah blah. And the purple gilt "Greatest Hits" title at the bottom was mostly hidden under the security sleeve it was in. So you could sort of see Moz' face. Sort of.

Do you have a Best Buy around you? I picked up my copy of the deluxe version there last Tuesday. I was back in the store shopping for tv's yesterday and I noticed that all the deluxe versions were gone. I guess they were all sold :D

And I also agree about the long sticker. It really did cut out part of his pretty face. Sad on so many levels.

However... the sale sticker and the price tag largely obscured the sleeve, and especially the long sticker on the left side explaining that it was British Top 20 hits blah blah blah. And the purple gilt "Greatest Hits" title at the bottom was mostly hidden under the security sleeve it was in. So you could sort of see Moz' face. Sort of.

it's a conspiracy -- a CONSPIRACY, I tell ye! Where's joyce?!?!
n for that matter, where's Morrissey?

:p

Ooh... good point. I forgot about Best Buy. And I think I have a $5 off coupon from rewards points... only problem is every time I go to Best Buy with my son, he wets himself. I have no idea why. You can see why I avoid the place.

Ooh... good point. I forgot about Best Buy. And I think I have a $5 off coupon from rewards points... only problem is every time I go to Best Buy with my son, he wets himself. I have no idea why. You can see why I avoid the place.

LOL!!!! Perhaps that's his reaction to the horrible smell of plastic in that place. I tell you, the Best Buy around me smelled like that brand new plastic smell for the first several years it was open. I would last 5 minutes before a horrible headache would set in. The smell has finally dulled a bit so I can last longer in the store, but I can see why your son would do what he needed to get the hell out of there. :sick:

And I say you should just run in and pick up the cd. They might not recognize you if you don't have a wet kid with you. If it makes you feel better I was food shopping yesterday and spilled an entire cup of coffee all over the produce section yesterday, and even got it some of it on a lady's white sneakers. Yikes! But I finished shopping and will return.

Last edited:
In reading the credits, I noticed it reads:

All tracks copyright 2008 Morrissey, licensed exclusively to Decca Music Group, London England.

So apparently Morrissey now owns these tracks and his new deal with Decca is only a licensing deal which is great cause he will now own his new material going forward or maybe this credits only apply to the Greatest Hits package since it is old material?

The CD clocks in at 56+ minutes, surely they could have included the Maladjusted singles but oh well, :guitar:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Question about U.S. exclusive “Greatest Hits”

I’ve searched the forums for the answer to this question, but I haven’t come across anything, so please forgive me if this has already been addressed numerous times. What I would like to know is whether the live version of “That’s How People Grow Up” on this new compilation is the same as any of the live versions already available in the U.K. (such as the live version on the single, or the live version that was available to download prior to its release). Anybody know? Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Re: Question about U.S. exclusive “Greatest Hits”

I’ve searched the forums for the answer to this question, but I haven’t come across anything, so please forgive me if this has already been addressed numerous times. What I would like to know is whether the live version of “That’s How People Grow Up” on this new compilation is the same as any of the live versions already available in the U.K. (such as the live version on the single, or the live version that was available to download prior to its release). Anybody know? Thanks a lot in advance! :)

It's unique to the US GH deluxe edition. It's from the same 06/08/2007 Hollywood Bowl performance that the other live songs on the bonus disc are from. There are two other live versions available: the 06/09/2007 live in Las Vegas, and 01/22/2008 live at the Roundhouse, London.

wow, less than 4,000 buys here in America for the first week. maybe those of you who didn't buy it are waiting for the tax rebates, I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom