US $2 Note?

Jukebox Jury

Retired
My youngest daughter proudly showed me a $2 bill that she had received in the post sent to her by an American friend.
Myself being well educated in a few things American, informed her that in my many visits to the land of the free, I had never heard of, nor received a $2 note and therefore it must be a fake......

However, she apparently ''googled it'' and it appears to be legal tender:eek:
Can any of the many Yanks on here confirm / deny this $2 note for me please.

Jukebox Jury

Yeah, it's rare but they're out there.

Yes, I still have one myself. I believe when they first came out, they were somewhat limited and people started to hoard them.

Yeah, it's rare but they're out there.

Really?:o:o

In all the years I've been a visiter to Yanksville (first time 1978 and last time January this year and 12 times in bewteen) I've never received one or even heard of one!

Jukebox Jury

Usually when making change the person at the cash register will ask you if you want it. This happens maybe once a year. They want to unload it because it's weird and doesn't fit into the countdown or recap of the till at the end of the night. I usually take them. As opposed to being a usable tender they're more like the kind of thing Grandma puts in a kid's birthday card or something, or a good luck charm folded into a man's wallet for ten years or something, but they're deffo legal tender. I think it was an experiment, your daughter probably knows more after googling it than I could tell you.

Usually when making change the person at the cash register will ask you if you want it. This happens maybe once a year. They want to unload it because it's weird and doesn't fit into the countdown or recap of the till at the end of the night. I usually take them. As opposed to being a usable tender they're more like the kind of thing Grandma puts in a kid's birthday card or something, or a good luck charm folded into a man's wallet for ten years or something, but they're deffo legal tender. I think it was an experiment, your daughter probably knows more after googling it than I could tell you.

So is it worth more than $2 on ebay or similar places? (granted I accept my daughter will not be able to retire on it:D)

Jukebox Jury

So is it worth more than $2 on ebay or similar places? (granted I accept my daughter will not be able to retire on it:D)

Jukebox Jury

I'm pretty sure it's worth about two dollars. It's not more valuable because it's odd. So if she can survive on half a grande latte from Starbucks when she retires, she's set. :p

400px-US_%242_reverse-high.jpg

This is the back of it. I always considered the two dollar bill a few seconds worth of my 15 minutes of fame because those guys are signing the Declaration of Independence and one of them in the background is Benjamin Rush of whom I'm descended. :p

I have a giant roll of them that we found in a cupboard in my grandparent's house before we sold it. I think it's a good denomination to have, I'm not sure why they never caught on. But yeah, you can still spend them.

I have a giant roll of them that we found in a cupboard in my grandparent's house before we sold it. I think it's a good denomination to have, I'm not sure why they never caught on. But yeah, you can still spend them.

So is it a bit like the ''Silver Dollar'' coin or even less scarce?
Either way....no one will pay more than $2 for one:lbf:

Jukebox Jury

People hoarded them because they were rare, and they thought if they were discontinued they'd eventually be worth more money. They're not, they're worth exactly $2.

I've heard they're often given out at the tills at the horse tracks. I have no idea why.

It's the kind of thing a grandma puts in your birthday card. Mine still does, and I'm 35!

Jukebox Jury

If you're into collecting valuable American money, I think our old copper "Lincoln" pennies are worth more than a penny since the price of copper has skyrocketed. It has in America at least. Sneaky theives are actually cutting and stripping copper phone lines in rural areas and taking the wire into shady copper reclaimation joints who pay top dollar for it. I bet you could melt a copper penny and get almost a fifty cents for it. :rolleyes:

People hoarded them because they were rare, and they thought if they were discontinued they'd eventually be worth more money. They're not, they're worth exactly $2.

I've heard they're often given out at the tills at the horse tracks. I have no idea why.

It's the kind of thing a grandma puts in your birthday card. Mine still does, and I'm 35!

Minimum bet is two bucks, THAT's where I get them. :blushing: They stay at the track a lot.

Jukebox Jury

We have a long history of misguided efforts to introduce a dollar coin. There used to be big fifty-cent pieces, which they stopped making. Then in about 1976 they introduced the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, which failed to catch on because it was only very slightly larger than a quarter. A few years ago they tried the Sacajawea dollar coin, which was fat and golden-colored. It's a shame, the government should just recall all dollar bills and force the dollar coin on us, because it would be more efficient. Any bill costs the same amount to produce, and the dollar bills wear out faster because they're the most used.

Officially, now we have only the $1, $5, $10, and $20. Any $50s and $100s in circulation won't be replaced. That's what I heard, anyway.

We have a long history of misguided efforts to introduce a dollar coin. There used to be big fifty-cent pieces, which they stopped making. Then in about 1976 they introduced the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, which failed to catch on because it was only very slightly larger than a quarter. A few years ago they tried the Sacajawea dollar coin, which was fat and golden-colored. It's a shame, the government should just recall all dollar bills and force the dollar coin on us, because it would be more efficient. Any bill costs the same amount to produce, and the dollar bills wear out faster because they're the most used.

Officially, now we have only the $1, $5, $10, and $20. Any $50s and $100s in circulation won't be replaced. That's what I heard, anyway.

Yeah, be warned if you use a twenty dollar bill at a post office self service stamp machine in the lobby to buy a three dollar stamp, you're going to get seventeen irritating dollar coins as change. They're irritating because they're too close to the feel of a quarter and you end up losing 75 cents on a future fast transaction.

Yeah, be warned if you use a twenty dollar bill at a post office self service stamp machine in the lobby to buy a three dollar stamp, you're going to get seventeen irritating dollar coins as change. They're irritating because they're too close to the feel of a quarter and you end up losing 75 cents on a future fast transaction.

Yes! That's true. The only place you'll be given a dollar coin in change is from a post office vending machine. That's why I use the automated one that takes credit cards. And pay my bills online...

That's what happened in the UK when they phased out the £1 note for the coin...... said the coin had a much longer life than the note......

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom