Updated Top 100 Smiths rarities in Record Collector (Feb. 2014)

Re: Smiths Top 100 Record Collector March 2014

That should be interesting. Maykings, cowboy kid 7, rank mispress, girlfriend 7 green *2-track* to the very top, then?

I am near to completing my top 100 collection and now you tell me it's about to change, that's B******T man!! Mind you, I only have numbers 16 onwards with a few gaps here and there so no danger of the new list spoiling things too much, anyone with a few top 10 items they want to part with?

3lzMgGh.jpg

P.

An anonymous person writes:

Just a heads up to all Smiths record collectors...A new top 100 out in next months record collector mag...about time too!!

Uncleskinny posted the scan of the cover:

recordcollector_201403.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

On average 25 "maykings" were pressed when they did a test run, just thought I'd mention that...the fact that some have never been seen, well not all releases had a Mayking test done.Back in the time these were done they weren't of any value, maybe one made it out of a box and after a listen, the rest got binned/lost whatever..that's why there is only one here and there, but 25 ish were always pressed...still very rare though.

Fascinating all round. Never knew about this.But I'm not a collector so perhaps not.

Does that mean my prized Five Star Rain or Shine Gatefold LP would have had a Mayking pressing?

Here is the Rank blank..

The blank Rank sleeve including a white label test pressing was already mentioned in the Top 100 from 2005. The last sentence is reading "If you own one, expect the value to rise". I remember seeing a copy on eBay more than 10 years ago. Unfortunately I wasn't the lucky winner.

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• Smiths Top 100_2005-3_Rank.jpg
    Smiths Top 100_2005-3_Rank.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 21
"I desperately desperately wanted ['Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before'] to be released. Rough Trade sent white labels along to Radio One but they said they would never under any circumstances play it because of the line about mass murder." Morrissey, NME, 13 February 1988

Apparently these UK 7" test pressings don't exist, but "Stop me" single artwork later became "I Started..." sleeve. Any additional info?

I think this is the first thread I have read which hasn't been ruined by the moronic and inane thoughts of the usual morrissey-solo freak show (that one who thinks he is Mark E Smith being the most tragically dull). Perhaps David is doing what he should have done years ago and filtering the comments?

Really interesting read written by people with intelligence and knowledge. Cheers!

"I desperately desperately wanted ['Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before'] to be released. Rough Trade sent white labels along to Radio One but they said they would never under any circumstances play it because of the line about mass murder." Morrissey, NME, 13 February 1988

Apparently these UK 7" test pressings don't exist, but "Stop me" single artwork later became "I Started..." sleeve. Any additional info?

Yes, there were certainly proofs produced for UK 'Stop Me.....' sleeves. They occasionally come up for auction and usually command a considerable price! They were adapted for 'I started something....' but weren't identical as far as I remember.

Of course, the BBC wouldn't have needed white labels of 'Stop Me....' to deem it unsuitable for radio play in the wake of the Hungerford massacre. The 'Strangeways....' album was already available to them.

Can I please add my tuppence worth to the Mayking pressing debate. Like many indie labels, Rough Trade would approach more than one pressing company to press their releases. Rough Trade usually used CBS, Mayking and sometimes Lyntone. Often pressings would come from CBS and Mayking for the same release, sometimes they would only use one pressing company.

There is nothing particularly special about Mayking test pressings other than the fact that they used printed labels, unlike the other companies that would use blank labels for their test pressings. Mayking pressings are very rare, yes, but so are certain test pressings from the other pressing plants. It's really down to preference for Mayking pressings over blank label pressings.

Don't go thinking that there is a Mayking test pressing for every Smiths release - there isn't. Regarding Hand In Glove, the Mayking pressing for that single is the 1984 pressing, there is not a Mayking pressing for the 1983 pressing.

This list will raise prises, not that I'm interested in rarities, just the orignals are good enough,
and even origanal Smiths singles vinyls cost more than they were, ridiculous prices.

'and they say he's mentall'... Joan of Arc...

the most value is still ' I want a boy for my birthday' a Cookies cover, 1 gig drummer Dale Hibbert
got good cash for it though I doubt if it's on vinyl or only on tape.

'and they say he's mentall' ... I want the new Morrissey album for my birthday...

I have never really understood the collector mentality. Yes, if the music or mix or lyrics are unavailable elsewhere, or it's a different Morrissey-designed sleeve, but why would I pay a stack of cash for a song and version I already own because it has a misprint, or the wrong b-side or some sleeve cobbled together by an overseas record company? How does this add to the art?

I have never really understood the collector mentality. Yes, if the music or mix or lyrics are unavailable elsewhere, or it's a different Morrissey-designed sleeve, but why would I pay a stack of cash for a song and version I already own because it has a misprint, or the wrong b-side or some sleeve cobbled together by an overseas record company? How does this add to the art?

Yes I agree, we collectors are a funny bunch, but it's the same with any other collectors..stamps,antiques etc etc, it's the chase we enjoy, hours of searching for that rare thing, negotiating a deal then closing it out.We are all hunter gatherer's at heart!!

Has anyone got a Rank mispress, dutch 7" cowboy or an Ask 7" Aussie type they would part with, for a decent fee of course.

Has anyone got a Rank mispress, dutch 7" cowboy or an Ask 7" Aussie type they would part with, for a decent fee of course.

Ah yes, and those of us who haven't got the funds to buy any of the three "beauties" above dream of finding them at ridiculously cheap prices in unknowing second hand shops (fat chance!) and satiate their collectors needs by seeking out less desirable curios and strange overseas pressings. Happily, on a few occasions my acquisitions of this nature have later turned into serious collector's items in their own right.

Dutch 7 is the headmasters ritual, which was officially released as a single in the Netherlands, also a 12 with , like the '7 ...live tracks from Oxford 85, de 7 has 1 If my memory is well, ..the 12 ' has got 4 live tracks.

[just checked Peepholism and I'm right, but there's also a sleeve with Viv Nickolson, [sorta painting Viv pic]dunno if that's the 12
but the cowboy is the official single with 'that joke isn't funne anymore as b-side from oxford, and the 12 indeed has 4 live tracks]

'and they say he's mentall' ... from me fave Smiths album ' meat is murder'...

Back
Top Bottom