Updated info on new Studio Album via Wikipedia

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2007 (read-only)' started by modrevolve, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Raquel

Raquel The Most Inept

Just checked out Amazon, two of the same Greatest Hits covers. One for $16.49 and one for $19.99. Promises 15 tracks!
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...as=aps&field-keywords=morrissey+greatest+hits

2. Buzzetta

Buzzetta WOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Farrell has the most musical talent out of all of them, Morrissey included. Sorry kiddies but pay close attention to what Farrell does and you will note that he pretty much anchors and guides each show.

3. Jamie

Jamie Bluff, Ardour & Assoc.

See, Leer, you hit on something that I feel a lot of people overlook: Alain Whyte is Morrissey's "bread and butter" songwriting-wise. If Alain were to truly leave the scene entirely, I think Morrissey's career would be at least at a serious crossroads if not in some form of jeopardy. He needs Alain's prolific output and, unless he becomes willing to start from "square one," Alain is the best and brightest. Based on present evidence, Jesse Tobias is incapable of supplying the bulk of one album's strong material. Boz has been less prolific and some of his recent material has not been top grade (I Like You, Slum Mums, Noise is the Best Revenge). And I thought Mike Farrell's two contributions were the weakest songs of the entire RotT venture.

I agree with what had been said earlier: Jesse is a good musician, but he is the wrong fit for Morrissey's band. I am more disenchanted by the air of opportunism in his replacing Alain, especially since Alain has mentioned his desire to tour again in 2006. He simply "wasn't asked." If it comes down to his inability to replicate Smiths songs RIFF FOR RIFF, then that is truly sad. In my estimation, that is all Jesse brings to the table that outweighs Alain. Great--he can play concert cymbals. Whoopty-do. He's standing in the way of someone who, thus far, has meant far more for Morrissey's career and has earned a rightful "permanent" place as much as Boz. (And I rarely hear anyone openly clamoring for Boz's replacement...)

But, all criticism of Jesse aside, I maintain a good chunk of the diminishment of the material goes back to Morrissey's apparent lack of engagement in his lyrics. I don't know if it's just because we older fans were spoiled by the richness, variety, bathos, and irony of his past material that the "bare bones" feel of most of the new material doesn't cut it. It just doesn't seem...whole. I give him credit for his observations in All You Need is Me because I am one of those banging their head against the wall about the present. Yet I will always hope for more quality and better turned lyrics.

Cheers,
    Jamie

4. Buzzetta

Buzzetta WOOOOOOOO!!!!!

As dumb as this may be - sometimes they list the import before they list the domestic release. That may be the price for the UK stamped release.