Unused Smiths Sleeve? £900 on ebay?

Hello all,

Question for Mozza220559 i would really like to know where you could buy this "Stop Me" sleeve from at a cheaper price ,as i was under the impression that Mike from Morrissey Madness was the only person to be selling this piece of artwork as i have never seen this offered up for sale apart from on his site and on ebay which i presume was Mike. Please enlighten me as i would like to own this sleeve.

Many thanks Will never marry .

Well apart from Ebay I can only think EIL.COM there is loads of rare stuff on there, I wouldn't pay £900 though, plus there were similar promo sleeves going the same price on ebay were'nt they? If it looks like a job lot and they are all getting sold around the same time by the same seller etc I would watch out...I'm sure you'll find one though, they're not impossible to find.

Hope that helped!

Just a quick word from a graphic designer who has himself worked on sleeves for the music industry; Any designer with professional contacts and equipment could easily run off multiple copies of created artwork irrespective of whether it was rejected or accepted in the first place. £900 for a proof of USED work or that included misprints MIGHT be acceptable but for fairly spurious copies of unused art it's MASSIVELY over priced. Add to this the ease with which professional colour copies are made (are these "proper" CHROMALINS or simply paper run outs???) and you're entering a provenance minefield and an expensive one at that. Be warned.

I've no doubt that these items are genuine - not modern day photocopies.

So, how do you value them? Surely we don't all collect Smiths records and other bits and bobs as an investment - we do it because...well, we all do it for all sorts of reasons...because we must.

But how do you value it? Sure, the Record Collector list from a few years back is a good starting point for the records. But what about other collectables and rarieties?

My own favourite from my own collection is a 3foot by 3foot advertising board that was produced for large HMV stores to promote Strangeways - apparently mine was used in Market St in Manchester. I paid £150 for it, but I think it's priceless, a piece of pop/Manchester history.

There's a member on here who has Morrissey's typewriter - how do you price that? Some of the most important works of art were crafted on that typewriter - if it was Beethoven then middle-class arty types would demand that it'd be worth millions.

Mike is selling these as works of art, or pieces of rock history - how do you price such things - crikey, the BBC paid £60,000 for a tiny metal bird by Tracey Emin and stuck it on a pole in Liverpool and forgot about - £60k and they didn't give a toss about it (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ird-artwork-in-Liverpool-feared-stolen.html)- if I owned one of these sleeves it would take pride of place in my house and it would have it's own insurance policy.

To be honest, I think that the Manchester Museum (or Urbis) should be buying up this sort of stuff to keep it for the people of Manchester, before it gets bought by collectors in Japan, or the US, or Germany (or wherever) and they are lost forever, kept in living rooms (or bank vaults) never to see the light of day for years.

But, £900? With rising petrol prices, falling house prices, rising food and falling optimism... If I wasn't trying to buy a bigger house, I'd be very temped with some of these.

I think a lot of them will stay up for sale for some time to come :(

Has anyone brought one of these then? I'm toying with buying one of the cheaper ones and getting it framed. By cheaper I mean sub £100. If someone has done this I'd be grateful to see the finished result.

Maybe I should just save my money and buy a normal record sleeve and flatten it out myself......??!!:eek:

Has anyone brought one of these then? I'm toying with buying one of the cheaper ones and getting it framed. By cheaper I mean sub £100. If someone has done this I'd be grateful to see the finished result.

Maybe I should just save my money and buy a normal record sleeve and flatten it out myself......??!!:eek:

I've bought several things from Mike and I've been happy with each one. these are most like the ones he has listed at the moment:

Unissued artwork for Shiela Take a Bow (essentially this is a sleeve that has been printed, but then not cut and glued) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=330231270717&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

Unissued artwork for Rank (it is the inside gatefold image from the album, printed, but not glued to the other half and folded) - this is beautiful - stuning image, no fold in the middle, destined to be framed http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=330231262634&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

I think some of the cheeper items (sub £100) he has listed are worth it for the novelty/rareity value http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-SMITHS-TH...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 - you could do no worse than make an offer and see what he says :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom