Unseen(?) Smiths photos - Irish Tour 10/11/12 February 1986

haven’t seen most of these photos before and it’s all very atmospheric with the soundcheck too. there’s a description on the video explaining the story behind them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful photos. Johnny looks about 12 though!

With respect that is not true. And is sadly a repetition of the sort of unfounded comments I had to put up with all the time growing up in Dundalk. The town was no different than any other Irish town in the eighties. Contrary to the ‘wild west’ description it was a great place to live with a lively music and band scene.

I was at the sound check and the gig at the Fairways Hotel and it was the beginning of a life long love of the music of Morrissey, Marr & the Smiths.
I lived in Oz for a few years and everyone always kept saying "did you move here to get away from The Troubles?". I was always surprised by that because luckily (geographically) I never saw a bit of trouble ever. Then I lived in Edinburgh for a couple of years and listened to the same thing. Still I got to see Moz in Glasgow Barrowlands during the 'wilderness years' prior to Quarry and that was one of his best concerts I think. So I can't complain.

They all look soooo impossibly young, especially Johnny.
And impossibly thin. Did Johnny ever eat? I suppose just wine and crisps but he must have had a great metabolism cos wine and crisps make me morph into Manimal. Half whale half person.

Here's a blast from the past:

MV5BNjVmOGJiYzAtMzViMy00ZmU5LTliMzctNWI4MjFlZjlhMzRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The B+W photos were taken by me, colour ones by bf of the time who may be the person that’s shared this, I’m not sure. I’m in a few of the colour ones (auburn hair, grey coat). Much younger, obvs! Bit shocked to have seen this today but not sure what I can do about it!

i found this on youtube and saw no one mentioning it, the photos you took were so interesting i felt the need to post the video here, i’m sorry if you didn’t want it posted x

Ireland (correctly) voted out of the EU once too you know, but their politicians told them they'd voted erroneously, so they had another vote...
Eh, totally factually incorrect. Ireland voted against an EU treaty, eg not leaving the EU, but a treaty to enlarge the EU, some changes were made , and it got through on the next attempt.

I’ve heard this fictional story a lot, which seems to have its origins on those Brexit forums, and Farage blogs, which are full of factual inaccuracies.

At no stage has Ireland ever voted to leave the EU.

Only one county, has ever voted to leave the EU before, and has actually left, and thats Greenland. The UK appears right now, to be somewhat undecided.

i found this on youtube and saw no one mentioning it, the photos you took were so interesting i felt the need to post the video here, i’m sorry if you didn’t want it posted x
It’s ok as once something is out there it’s clearky shareable. I only saw this someone posted it on Twitter! Don’t worry!

Pretty sure the Belfast gig was at the Whitla Hall. I remember three or four lads getting up on stage. Morrissey waved the security away and they just lined up behind Marr and started air guitaring - the band were fine about it and every person in the audience thought "I wish I was doing that!"

Wonderful photos. Johnny looks about 12 though!

Yes; a 12 year old 'tough', pissed on White Diamond :yum:

With respect that is not true. And is sadly a repetition of the sort of unfounded comments I had to put up with all the time growing up in Dundalk. The town was no different than any other Irish town in the eighties. Contrary to the ‘wild west’ description it was a great place to live with a lively music and band scene.

I was at the sound check and the gig at the Fairways Hotel and it was the beginning of a life long love of the music of Morrissey, Marr & the Smiths.

The problem is, everything I said is true whether you like it or not.

Dundalk was the unfortunate town that IRA men used for their breaks from action - and they gained a bad reputation from the locals who lived there. Many of these men carried pistols, drank too much, gambled and yes, bars were shot up and general wild behaviour enacted. If an IRA man was on the run Dundalk was the place to hide out. The Provo leadership was told to tell these men to cool it.

You choose to see what you want to see. Many people in certain areas of London like Islington and Hackney live in perfect middle-class peace, whereas in the estate across the road there are stabbings and shootings and problems daily. But because it doesn't affect them they hardly notice it - or prefer not to. One person's truth is another person's lies.

You obviously disapprove of the IRA and any romanticism of it, and you don't like the reputation of your town sullied so I can understand your point of view.

Last edited:
Eh, totally factually incorrect. Ireland voted against an EU treaty, eg not leaving the EU, but a treaty to enlarge the EU, some changes were made , and it got through on the next attempt.

I’ve heard this fictional story a lot, which seems to have its origins on those Brexit forums, and Farage blogs, which are full of factual inaccuracies.

At no stage has Ireland ever voted to leave the EU.

Only one county, has ever voted to leave the EU before, and has actually left, and thats Greenland. The UK appears right now, to be somewhat undecided.

"It got through on the next attempt" you say. Do you know how outrageous that sounds?

These days, Ireland is so desperate to come across as modern that it does exactly what its corrupt elite tells it to every single time.

It's losing its national identity so fast it doesn't even realise it. Check out 'Project Ireland 2040'. Irish people will become a minority in the land they fought for for so long - all to please globalist politicians and feel modern.

Last edited:
"It got through on the next attempt" you say. Do you know how outrageous that sounds?
When you removed “some changes were made” from my post quote, it certainly does.

Contrary to the fiction posted previously, Ireland never had a vote on Leaving the EU.

Editing facts and quotes, to suit your own argument, doesent change facts.

Pretty sure the Belfast gig was at the Whitla Hall. I remember three or four lads getting up on stage. Morrissey waved the security away and they just lined up behind Marr and started air guitaring - the band were fine about it and every person in the audience thought "I wish I was doing that!"
It was Whitla Hall!

When you removed “some changes were made” from my post quote, it certainly does.

Contrary to the fiction posted previously, Ireland never had a vote on Leaving the EU.

Editing facts and quotes, to suit your own argument, doesent change facts.
Technically the Treaty of Lisbon then. Whatever. One step closer to freedom.

Second attempts on EU referendums are ridiculous. Now that's a fact.

Ireland out of the EU now! (and every other country).

Last edited:
What the f*** are you on about. Beautiful pictures of the Smiths and you're banging on about the EU?

The problem is, everything I said is true whether you like it or not.

Dundalk was the unfortunate town that IRA men used for their breaks from action - and they gained a bad reputation from the locals who lived there. Many of these men carried pistols, drank too much, gambled and yes, bars were shot up and general wild behaviour enacted. If an IRA man was on the run Dundalk was the place to hide out. The Provo leadership was told to tell these men to cool it.

You choose to see what you want to see. Many people in certain areas of London like Islington and Hackney live in perfect middle-class peace, whereas in the estate across the road there are stabbings and shootings and problems daily. But because it doesn't affect them they hardly notice it - or prefer not to. One person's truth is another person's lies.

You obviously disapprove of the IRA and any romanticism of it, and you don't like the reputation of your town sullied so I can understand your point of view.

So Mr or Mrs expert. You don’t understand my point of view at all. My home town. My history. My experience.

Perhaps you could expand on your vast experience and knowledge of Dundalk in the eighties or even now? Read the odd book eh?

I suspect that you’re not from Dundalk. Right?

I’m too long in the tooth to be patronised by you or anyone else.

A miserable lie.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom