Unseen(?) Smiths photos - Irish Tour 10/11/12 February 1986

haven’t seen most of these photos before and it’s all very atmospheric with the soundcheck too. there’s a description on the video explaining the story behind them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos, those old lighting rigs bring back fond memories of the first gigs I went to.

Amazing images - thanks for posting! What is that song they are playing?

Oh my ! Morrissey is out of this world beautiful compared to the rest, a real score for Johnny to have him as a frontman.

Handsome devil indeed. :love::cool:

The B+W photos were taken by me, colour ones by bf of the time who may be the person that’s shared this, I’m not sure. I’m in a few of the colour ones (auburn hair, grey coat). Much younger, obvs! Bit shocked to have seen this today but not sure what I can do about it!

I've seen those pics of Mozzer outside the soundcheck/in the hotel(?) before but the ones of Johnny and the rest of the band are all new to me. So young! Love the pics of Morrissey's dimple showing, very handsome.

The B+W photos were taken by me, colour ones by bf of the time who may be the person that’s shared this, I’m not sure. I’m in a few of the colour ones (auburn hair, grey coat). Much younger, obvs! Bit shocked to have seen this today but not sure what I can do about it!

You look totally cute! Any memories/impressions you'd care to share?

Huh! That was a stupid number of years ago. I can’t remember that much to be honest! I do need to check as I think a couple of those pics weren’t taken in Ireland. Dundalk was interesting, very small venue in what was a town near the Ireland/Northern Ireland border known for IRA activity. Good times.

These pics were taken in Dundalk. That's a town in the Republic where IRA members used to escape to for relaxation after shootings, bombings and general havoc in the North. This relaxation included a lot of drinking and gambling, and as all the men were armed with pistols, bars would often be shot up Wild West-style after a lost card game and pint of porter too many. Complaints were made to the leadership to calm down those wild Dundalk boys and to keep their guns holstered.

All that kind of stuff would've been in full swing in Ireland when the Smiths played there. I can imagine it would have been an exciting gig (and tour).

Last edited:
enjoy it that's what great memories are for.

40184417783_77c89acc48_o.jpg

Is that Damon in the background...?

:brows:

Huh! That was a stupid number of years ago. I can’t remember that much to be honest! I do need to check as I think a couple of those pics weren’t taken in Ireland. Dundalk was interesting, very small venue in what was a town near the Ireland/Northern Ireland border known for IRA activity. Good times.
Well those good times will return thanks to all those brain dead twats who voted for Brexit.

Genius idea to have a Nun as your Security.

No-one messes with the Nuns. Not even God.

:pray:

Well those good times will return thanks to all those brain dead twats who voted for Brexit.
Ireland (correctly) voted out of the EU once too you know, but their politicians told them they'd voted erroneously, so they had another vote...

Ireland (correctly) voted out of the EU once too you know, but their politicians told them they'd voted erroneously, so they had another vote...
We should have stayed under the protective care of the Brits, and continued to educate our starving kids in ditches while the Cromwellian Coontz decimated the land and everyone on it. I'm off to watch Braveheart again followed by Michael Collins followed by The Wind That Shakes The Barley. Finishing off with a lovely optimistic film called Zulu starring Stanley Baker dressed in Moz's suit from the Southpaw tour.

These pics were taken in Dundalk. That's a town in the Republic where IRA members used to escape to for relaxation after shootings, bombings and general havoc in the North. This relaxation included a lot of drinking and gambling, and as all the men were armed with pistols, bars would often be shot up Wild West-style after a lost card game and pint of porter too many. Complaints were made to the leadership to calm down those wild Dundalk boys and to keep their guns holstered.

All that kind of stuff would've been in full swing in Ireland when the Smiths played there. I can imagine it would have been an exciting gig (and tour).

With respect that is not true. And is sadly a repetition of the sort of unfounded comments I had to put up with all the time growing up in Dundalk. The town was no different than any other Irish town in the eighties. Contrary to the ‘wild west’ description it was a great place to live with a lively music and band scene.

I was at the sound check and the gig at the Fairways Hotel and it was the beginning of a life long love of the music of Morrissey, Marr & the Smiths.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom