UnHerd: Morrissey will never be cancelled" by Douglas Coupland (May 4, 2022)

Last edited by a moderator:
Articles like this are all well and good, but it doesn't get him what he wants, does it? Moaning about collaborators, trumpeting chart positions - none of it matters. The fact is no matter how many right-wing commentators says he's been 'cancelled', the truth is that people don't want to buy his recorded product any more, and why could that be? Some over-arching conspiracy to shut folk with 'unpopular opinions' down, or could it possibly be that people are voting with their wallets and where they are informed about his utterances, views and allegiances, simply don't want to give him money any more? Because it has always been, and always will be about the money

As to the article itself, it's a disjointed mess of a jigsaw - several unconnected vignettes pasted together as a "will this do".

I always have a bit of time for Douglas Coupland (even though he gave one of the dullest author readings I've ever seen, one time) but this article is all over the map. It does have one great line, though:

"People were so busy trying to understand what was actually going on inside his head that they didn’t think to simply punch him."

Articles like this are all well and good, but it doesn't get him what he wants, does it? Moaning about collaborators, trumpeting chart positions - none of it matters. The fact is no matter how many right-wing commentators says he's been 'cancelled', the truth is that people don't want to buy his recorded product any more, and why could that be? Some over-arching conspiracy to shut folk with 'unpopular opinions' down, or could it possibly be that people are voting with their wallets and where they are informed about his utterances, views and allegiances, simply don't want to give him money any more? Because it has always been, and always will be about the money

As to the article itself, it's a disjointed mess of a jigsaw - several unconnected vignettes pasted together as a "will this do".
So is the article "all well and good" or is it a "disjointed mess of a jigsaw?"

Not getting what you want? Hahahahahabah

Morrissey never will be cancelled.

And at this rate no hack is actually going to research an article.

Or are they trying to weasel out of it without admitting they bullshitted? Our lies were true, but who cares yay, Morrissey! 🧐

It's better than nothing, but it would be scumbaggy.

Edit - aye, it's the latter.

Bias is a funny thing, isn't it? A 60-odd year old doesn't sell many records any more because he's a racist, if you believe he's a racist.
Otherwise they don't sell many records any more because, unless you're Paul Weller, old men don't sell a lot of records.

"The Smiths were still one of those bands where you know that after rehearsals or shows, none of its members ever went out for beers"

Really? There's been plenty of talk about the band on the piss at the time - this guy loses all credibility about knowing his subject by the second sentence.

"Doesn't get what he wants"
Millions in the bank, Time at his complete disposal. Still performing, still going strong, must be a nightmare......

Did this guy really call Kill Uncle 'excellent' and describe Your Arsenal as when 'his bus started to veer towards some nearby cliff'?? I agree that Morrissey doesn't get enough credit for how brilliant a lot of his solo work is, but f*** me that's an odd take. As for the rest of the, er, article... I'm not sure what the overarching theme is...is there one?

I’ve enjoyed Coupland’s books in the past. This article isn’t a bad read but doesn’t say too much new. He should’ve opined on M’s more recent solo albums as well!

0002257548.jpg

I do still really like this book, despite Coupland's current article being crappy.

I would think that somebody for whom it's all about the money would:
1. Reform the band for the very big payday.
2. Issue some kind of clarification re racism allegations.
3. Generally play the industry game.
But no, Mozzer seems to be ignoring some significant potential revenue. As such, it appears to be all about the principles and the art, no?

It takes a lot to get truly cancelled.

Here is who I can think of who truly have been cancelled.
Harvey Weinstein
Kevin Spacey
R Kelly.. took him many years to actually get cancelled.

Who else?
All the people that were supposed to be cancelled are still doing whatever they want.
JK Rowling.. canceled and yet it never actually happened.
Chris Pratt.. didn't happen.
Dave Chapelle.. not even close

If you didn't rape someone or molest someone you pretty much can't be cancelled.

Morrissey not getting cancelled is really not some big story about his personal suit of teflon when he's just like everyone else with non-PC views.

Did this guy really call Kill Uncle 'excellent' and describe Your Arsenal as when 'his bus started to veer towards some nearby cliff'?? I agree that Morrissey doesn't get enough credit for how brilliant a lot of his solo work is, but f*** me that's an odd take. As for the rest of the, er, article... I'm not sure what the overarching theme is...is there one?
Most of this article, I didn't agree with, this point I did.
I think Viva Hate, Kill Uncle and Bona Drag , the two-word title lps Were the last of Morrissey, in that interesting very British sense, he was in the smiths.
He was still that person in life but the art started to be more obvious in many ways.
I think Kill Uncle is very underrated, it's his novella record.
The trouble with Douglas is he attacks Morrissey very much as an American/ Canadian would
in the 90s.
They had this idea of Morrissey as this "straight edge grur", don't drink don't smoke, who does he do?
The truth is the Smiths were laddish in many ways, and M liked a drink then, Though not as much as he did later.
It was also unfair to think of Andy and Mike as people who came via NME ads ,
Andy was a very old friend of Johnnys
It would do M a huge favour not to mention him, in the same breath as Trump. In lots of people's minds M is like an "indie Trump" - which is understandable.

Douglas is seems is still trying to apologise for giving one of the worst Morrissey interviews ever.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom