Unhappy anniversary: 8/8/2007

Mars_Rover

I just realised it will be 20 years this Wednesday since The Smiths (officially) broke up. Johnny's 8/8/87 letter/statement to NME was I believe the first public acknowledgement that the band had fallen apart.

The Smiths are dead; long live Morrissey.

As a four year old at that time I wish I'd have been aware of the significance of what was happening. I was probably still dancing around the living room to my favourite childhood song, Stevie Wonder's 'I Just Called To Say I Love You'. I often wonder what life would have been like had my parents introduced me to The Smiths instead of their record collection.

Anyways, unhappy anniversary indeed. I'll play Strangeways on the 8th in their honour.

Although I really suspect it won't happen again....
I surely would love to have the chance to watch the Smiths Live for once

Yes, that would be beautiful.

I wonder if successful (mega $$) reunions by other bands encourage or discourage Morrissey 'n Marr from considering the option? I don't think they'd be eager to be lumped in with The Police or Genesis.

mega$

i wonder how much the next offer will be.

You know, if Moz and Marr did agree to do a few shows together, they should do it like this:

Write six new songs together, perform six additional covers, and play one old Smiths song. Only one. That way, they are moving forward, not backward. I would travel all around the world to see that.

You know, if Moz and Marr did agree to do a few shows together, they should do it like this:

Write six new songs together, perform six additional covers, and play one old Smiths song. Only one. That way, they are moving forward, not backward. I would travel all around the world to see that.
That would never happen. Moz himself sings a good four to six Smiths songs a concert, so you bet that if Marr is playing alongside him onstage, they'll play a lot more than six Smiths songs. As they should.

I don't want the Smiths to reunite. Times have changed since the 80s. people grow apart. There is no need to tamper with the past. I want my Smiths perfect, frozen at the peak of their talent, only that way can they remain saint-like.
I think Morrissey understands this. Recreating the past is never as good, and it is questionable whether Marr and Morrissey of today would be able to write such amazing songs together as they did when they were young- they seem to be completely different people from back then.
Let New Order and mediocre bands like that do reunions, the Smiths are above that, and what we need to do is accept- that was then, this is now.

Hey guys, dont forget that if The Smiths stayed together, we wouldn't have Morrissey solo. Out of every tragedy comes a miracle I suppose...

I don't want the Smiths to reunite. Times have changed since the 80s. people grow apart. There is no need to tamper with the past. I want my Smiths perfect, frozen at the peak of their talent, only that way can they remain saint-like.
I think Morrissey understands this. Recreating the past is never as good, and it is questionable whether Marr and Morrissey of today would be able to write such amazing songs together as they did when they were young- they seem to be completely different people from back then.
Let New Order and mediocre bands like that do reunions, the Smiths are above that, and what we need to do is accept- that was then, this is now.

That's why I made the suggestion I did- they aren't the Smiths. They are two people who started out by being in the Smiths. I want to see what else they can do...

I wonder out of everything whos so adamant about the Smiths not reforming, who would actually boycott a show/tour if it DID ever happen? I'd find it hard to believe that if a miracle were to occur and they reunited, that most of you would be like "I'm staying home, no thx."

I'm by no means pushing for a full on Smiths reunion, but hell...if it were to happen, I'd be the first in line!

I would be too. But if I had my way (and I think I will in this instance) there would be no reunion, because it would be contrived and probably campy. I love Moz solo.

I wonder out of everything whos so adamant about the Smiths not reforming, who would actually boycott a show/tour if it DID ever happen? I'd find it hard to believe that if a miracle were to occur and they reunited, that most of you would be like "I'm staying home, no thx."

I'm by no means pushing for a full on Smiths reunion, but hell...if it were to happen, I'd be the first in line!

I think that if Morrissey is involved in anything...I would be there no questions asked (unless its a gun ralley, pro hunting convention...republican junk)....and since I love Morrissey and he'd be on stage- I'd go see it. Does it matter that it's the Smiths again (which I don't think you can really have)? No, not really. If he sang karaoke at his concerts, I'd still go. What can I say...I just really care about him, and not really the other people although Boz Boorer is an exception.

I think that if Morrissey is involved in anything...I would be there no questions asked (unless its a gun ralley, pro hunting convention...republican junk)....and since I love Morrissey and he'd be on stage- I'd go see it. Does it matter that it's the Smiths again (which I don't think you can really have)? No, not really. If he sang karaoke at his concerts, I'd still go. What can I say...I just really care about him, and not really the other people although Boz Boorer is an exception.

No offence to Boz, cause he's a great guy and a great guitarist, but he could never touch Johnny when it came to songwriting and technical ability, and he never will. It was the chemistry between Moz and Johnny that produced such stunning songs, and no other songwriting partner has been able to replicate it. Now I'm not saying the chemistry would still be as powerful a force as it was 20 years ago, I very much doubt it would, but these are 2 undeniably talented men and seeing them perform together again would be incentive enough for me, even if they can't reproduce the quality of their heyday. Johnny was always more than just a member of Morrissey's band, he was part of Morrissey himself.

Coiff.

After reading Johnny's interview in the September issue of The Word, does anyone else feel the slightest glimmer of hope -- that maybe Morrissey 'n Marr could/will do something together when the Smiths box set is released within the next 18 months?

After reading Johnny's interview in the September issue of The Word, does anyone else feel the slightest glimmer of hope -- that maybe Morrissey 'n Marr could/will do something together when the Smiths box set is released within the next 18 months?

you've read the interview? I've still not seen the new Word despite looking everytime I pass a newsagents!
what's he saying?

I was unaware of this date's significance. However, now I know I will have a drink tonight to celebrate the start of Morrissey's glorious solo career.

you've read the interview? I've still not seen the new Word despite looking everytime I pass a newsagents!
what's he saying?

Get thee to the front page of Morrissey-Solo; there you will find excerpts. And a photo that provides clear evidence that Johnny dyes his hair. However! I do not hold that against him...

Back
Top Bottom