Unexpected Morrissey quotes/references in books

Cuddle

Please hug me
I've just been flipping through a book published last year called "Weird New York" (which lists odd or spooky places throughout the state, replete with plenty of pictures), and there's a chapter called "Cemetary Safari" that starts out by quoting a few lines from Cemetry Gates. How fun! :D What other books can anybody name with unexpected little nods like this?

I know there's a bunch out there. I remember reading here on Solo about the non-fiction book "Heavy Words Lightly Thrown", and of course copious fiction ones: "Girlfriend in a Coma" by Douglas Coupland, "Perks of being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky and at least one by Nick Hornby. Oh, and I'm missing the very obvious "Wrong Boy" from Willy Russell. How much longer is this list?

helmoz

on the moors
i think there is a reference to "there is a light that never goes out" in "trainspotting."

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
In today's Guardian they are discussing the new Borat film. They interview a Kazakh national, who comes from the nation's capital, Almaty. He has a travel company named 'Alma Matters'. Ha!

Peter

fastpulseboy

chalatanize me
there is a Dutch writer; Ronald Giphart and a Belgian writer; Herman Brusselmans they used several references/quotes in the books they wrote. I have no idea if they have been translated in English....

whoiseuan

Happy Passenger
The chapter's about Spud and the underpass' in Wester Hailes or Sighthill in Edinburgh remind him of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. Quotes the lines from it.

Irvine Welsh also referenced "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Succesful" in Glue.

Top Bottom