Uncut Special

Stuheff

Sing your Strife
As I work in the Media industry I thought I would share with you that Uncut Magazine is doing a Smiths special next issue.

It's out next week.

I've heard it will be quite good. But I suspect it'll be the same old... I havent had a chance to get my grubby trotters on it yet.

As I work in the Media industry I thought I would share with you that Uncut Magazine is doing a Smiths special next issue.

It's out next week.

I've heard it will be quite good. But I suspect it'll be the same old... I havent had a chance to get my grubby trotters on it yet.

oooooh...thank for the info....:)

So we've had the NME Smiths special, the Q Smiths special, the Q Manchester special including a section on The Smiths.
Is their really anything left to be said that hasn't been said?

Jukebox Jury

So we've had the NME Smiths special, the Q Smiths special, the Q Manchester special including a section on The Smiths.
Is their really anything left to be said that hasn't been said?

Jukebox Jury

hows about a MOZ special

I don't mind if they re hash the old stuff but a Moz special would be fab

Found it up on ebay all ready. Thought you would like to see, it seems to be the top 30 Smiths songs as chosen by famous fans.:)

I'll still read it. I'd like to read a Moz special too, though. I'd love to write a Moz special lol that'd be one of my all time dreams. :o

It's good; I've read it!
Loads of pop people from the last 30 years discussing their favourite Smiths song.
Singer from the Feeling nominates The Boy With the Thorn (‘Morrissey’s most delicious yodelling’!), 3 of the Smiths give their favourites, Marr has written quite a lot of stuff for it.
Other contributors include Gallagher, Suggs, Ian Brown, Mani, Buzzcocks, Kook, Bragg, Kaiser Chiefs, etc.
Lots of comments, inevitably, about Morrissey including some on where he is now. All in all, a pretty interesting read…

PS Suggs saw it fit to bring up the whole Madstock union flag incident again. Nearly 15 years has passed and it's still the first thing he mentions when anyone asks him about Moz or the Smiths!
One interesting comment of his, however, is where he mentioned his backing vocals on Piccadilly Palare. Apparently, his instruction from Moz was to just sing the first thing that came into his head!
M

Johnny reveals in an interview in this issue that "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" was originally called "The Irish Waltz" and that "How Soon Is Now" was originally called "Swamp." It's a good read all round.

Peter

And if anyone shops on Tesco.Com it will be on offer on the website from Tuesday at save £2 ish!

I bought it today and it is a very good insight. A few bits Ive not seen before and some bits about modern day bands thoughts on Smiffs songs.

Top Draw.

Shall I pass my congrats onto the Uncut team or do I fire bomb the office?

This maybe a good idea for my first poll what do we reckon?

As i'm overseas, i'll get someone to buy it for me and post it.

I quite liked the Uncut special on Weller/ The Jam to celebrate his lifetime achievement award. Had a good feature on the making of 'All Mod Cons'.

Hopefully this will be good as well.

Always buzzy to see anything in glossy print featuring Morrissey, The Smiths etc- reminds me of the joy of picking up Smash Hits with Moz on the cover way back when, getting home & getting to work with scissors..with this Uncut issue, once that novelty had worn off , I felt...that strangely empty, dissatisfied feeling I get after watching those four hour TV specials about The Greatest Movies Ever Made, full of talking heads, over editorialised. It's the nature of this kind of 'soundbite' journalism I s'pose. Insights from Johnny, Mike & Andy are worth getting it for- full of emotion despite the intervening years.
Also could they really only find ONE female artist to contribute?? And, much as I do like Russell Brand, what's he doing there as a non musician/ singer?

Always buzzy to see anything in glossy print featuring Morrissey, The Smiths etc- reminds me of the joy of picking up Smash Hits with Moz on the cover way back when, getting home & getting to work with scissors..with this Uncut issue, once that novelty had worn off , I felt...that strangely empty, dissatisfied feeling I get after watching those four hour TV specials about The Greatest Movies Ever Made, full of talking heads, over editorialised. It's the nature of this kind of 'soundbite' journalism I s'pose. Insights from Johnny, Mike & Andy are worth getting it for- full of emotion despite the intervening years.
Also could they really only find ONE female artist to contribute?? And, much as I do like Russell Brand, what's he doing there as a non musician/ singer?

I shall burn the office down first thing tomorrow! (Or should that be the Disco!)

That occurred to me too. I wonder if they're trying to be contemporary by including Beth Ditto? They could have asked Chrissie Hynde, Patti Smith, Kristeen Young...any number of ladies.

On a separate note, I must be getting old, because I find most of the articles in this issue interesting. The Kevin Rowland interview is funny. It shows him to still be self-regarding at the age of 53.

Peter

That occurred to me too. I wonder if they're trying to be contemporary by including Beth Ditto? They could have asked Chrissie Hynde, Patti Smith, Kristeen Young...any number of ladies.

Mmm, she's the poster girrrl these days I think- they probably thought one overweight, feisty lesbian would be as much as their readership could handle!
Thank our lucky stars they didn't ask Lily Allen. But surely Sandie Shaw could've coughed up a quote?

Yes, Kevin Rowland is a total one off. Love him. Along with Billy Mackenzie- was his anniversary last Monday.Very sad. Nice three part doc on YouTube about Billy.

Uncut goes pretty deep though, and they put a lot of info in each issue. I'm definitely looking for this.

Sorry for the silly question but this is the February Issue, right? I just need to confirm as I am buying it online and there are the mgazine covers are not available on this site (I don't live in the UK).
Thank You very much

Sorry for the silly question but this is the February Issue, right? I just need to confirm as I am buying it online and there are the mgazine covers are not available on this site (I don't live in the UK).
Thank You very much

No chick, it's the march issue.

Back
Top Bottom