Uncut review The Smiths "Complete" (Oct. 2011)

An anonymous person writes:

The Smiths Complete boxset is the lead review in the reissues section of Uncut, in an indie packed month that also sees reviews of the 20th anniversary edition of Nirvana's Nevermind and a reissue of The Jesus and Mary Chain's back catalogue. The 2 page feature includes a classic early picture of the band.

smithsboxsetuncut_thumb.jpg

click to enlarge

uncutboxsetpic_thumb.jpg

click to enlarge

Last edited:
Seems like a good review, Uncut are trustworthy. Not sure if I will pick this up having everything already though - would be nice to hear a sample of the remaster jobs.

By the way, reissue, repackage, repackage - there, I've said it, no need for any further wits to post it.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but wasn't Johnny Marr involved in the remastering of the songs on 'the Sound of the Smiths'?

This Uncut review seems to indicate otherwise.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but wasn't Johnny Marr involved in the remastering of the songs on 'the Sound of the Smiths'?

Master engineer was Frank Arkwright (a suitable northern name, if ever there was one) with Johnny Marr overseeing.

Not that I can afford to buy the super-deluxe Box set but I will be interested to know which version of 'Reel Around The Fountain' appears on the replica of the test pressing.

Just wanted to add to this to my original post quoted above.

Did some looking around and Johnny was directly involved with the remastering on all of these tracks and I'm certain that all the songs in this new box set were remastered at the same time prior to "the Sound of the Smiths" being released with an eye towards later distribution...I only point this out because the Uncut reviewer states that the songs now have a softer sound than they did previously on "the Sound of the Smiths". Maybe in response to people wanting less compression, Johnny and Mr. Arkwright eased back on it and this is the difference the reviewer is hearing?

Because he is a desperate sad little loser.

And why did these tracks need to be remastered? What's wrong with the versions that apparently saved my life? Should I send them in to be remastered?

So expensive though. $100 shipping to the USA? C'mon Rhino....

DALLOW. Amazon UK is much cheaper and under $10 to ship to U.S.!

Why did the tracks need to be remastered? Well, converting recordings to CDs in the 1980s was in its infancy and limited. The modern approach improves sound. According to what I heard, Johnny Marr only agreed to have the tracks remastered if they sound was restored to how they originally were supposed to sound... More of what you're used to from the VINYL... and if they didn't "Just turn up volume and treble to make them louder." These are supposed to improve upon what you heard on SOUND OF THE SMITHS... not just made louder, not harsher like some remasters... but rather to restore to the way the original recordings sounded... According to Marr and Arkwright...

And also, Morrissey isn't snubbed. He's receiving payment on these... If he weren't, he'd have bitched by now... "They're not paying me for these box sets and these deluxe box sets have been used as weapons to club and murder baby seals." - but he hasn't whined at all...

lol what do you guys think marr thinks of that jasmine girl?

"These new remasters (due to be released individually in the spring of 2012)..."........WTF?

What is it with Uncut reviewers? This man doesn't tell us anuything about these new discs, just blathers on about Smiths history, which is fine, but no cigar.

What is it with Uncut reviewers? This man doesn't tell us anuything about these new discs, just blathers on about Smiths history, which is fine, but no cigar.

My sentiments exactly. I already know the bloody history of the Smith ad nauseum. I want a review of the quality of the re-masters.

"These new remasters (due to be released individually in the spring of 2012)..."........WTF?

Makes sense, similar to how it was done with the Beatles remasters. Intro them as a box set initially to scoop up the big $$ from the longtime fans, and then later release them individually to gather up the remaining stray $$ from the "semi-fans" who only really like one or two albums.

As a fan of at least 20 years (as many of us are), I have long had all the albums and will certainly get all the remasters as well. That said, I've never been as fond of the early material (especially the painful selftitled debut LP) and I wouldn't fault a casual fan for only wanting to shell out for Queen and Strangeways (and probably Bombs too) instead of the entire box. The Smiths were one of those rare bands where each album in succession, from Smiths to Meat to Queen to Strangeways, was better than the previous one. Strangeways being the utter crowning achievement and an absolute joy to listen to even for the umpteenth hundred time after all these years.

J.T.

Last edited:
"Strangeways being the utter crowning achievement and an absolute joy to listen to even for the umpteenth hundred time after all these years."

Dear friend,

I agree. 101%

we'll let you know

Back
Top Bottom