MORRISSEY
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
BMG
6/10
Gloves remain on as Moz lashes out.
He hits and he misses
"I see no point in being nice," Morrissey
admits on the title track of his 13th studio
album, but we've seen him in meaner moods.
Musically, there are even moments of
sweetness, such as the Celtic tinges of
the warmly nostalgic "Once I Saw The
River Clean". The electro-pop of " Jim
Jim Falls" is also likeable, even if he
repeatedly trumpets: "if you're going
to kill yourself.. get on with it." Let's
charitably assume he is just parodying
what insensitive cretins used to say
about him. But there are other, less
successful experiments: few voices
are less suited to duetting with than
Moz's, and when Thelma Houston
tries it on "Bobby Don't You Think They
Know",well, square peg meet round hole.

Thanks for the transcription ?
From the magazine:

20200321_041409.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Uncut, Mojo & Q are the last remaining significant Music press in UK...Hot Press in Ireland and I dont think I've seen promotion in any these for this album....sad given its a quality release that BMG have obviously given up all hope on...typical Moz to pull one out of the bag when all seems lost. Looking forward dont see any record company on the horizon that would take him on....hoping I'm wrong but really loving the album a 9/10 for me so will soak this one up for a while.

don't really see the point in these short reviews,they tell the reader almost nothing and a review is meant to influence whether a customer buys or leaves on the shelf.
no football,no pubs,no restaurants,no cinema,for the next month its work and go home,boooo.

Still no1 amazon

Even the reviews of this album are a pile of shit. Morrissey is like a magnet of fecal matter now

It just goes to show what little talent there is for reviewing out there. I’ve read some really well written reviews, some less positive than others, but at least you get the sense the critic has actually listened and try to understand what it all means. There is no constructive criticism here at all, and until people actually write something constructive, cohesive and worthwhile, I can’t help but remain behind Morrissey as a ardent supporter, with my chest out, arms flailing.

Perhaps most so-called critics will never change reviewing Morrissey. All they have to do is scratch a little deeper and understand the sensitive emotion that lays bear.

Uncut, Mojo & Q are the last remaining significant Music press in UK...Hot Press in Ireland and I dont think I've seen promotion in any these for this album....sad given its a quality release that BMG have obviously given up all hope on...typical Moz to pull one out of the bag when all seems lost. Looking forward dont see any record company on the horizon that would take him on....hoping I'm wrong but really loving the album a 9/10 for me so will soak this one up for a while.
Outstanding record

A superb record love it , seen Morrissey 24 times the first being in Dublin in 1990 saw him in Leeds the other week vocally superb

Why does 6/10 sound so much worse than 3/5?
I think there's a lot of 6/10 because 5/10 seems too low and 7/10 seems too risky for someone who is now reported as being a "facist". Everyone, even critics, are scared of what others may think of them.

WHO CARES?!

I think there's a lot of 6/10 because 5/10 seems too low and 7/10 seems too risky for someone who is now reported as being a "facist". Everyone, even critics, are scared of what others may think of them.

WHO CARES?!

I think you're right. It's getting a lot of mid-range ratings because it's clearly too good to dismiss outright - but obviously they can't praise it too highly. Anyway, I'm old enough to remember Smiths albums getting terrible reviews so it doesn't bother me at all. Great album. Not a bad track on it.

This morning, I’ve been listening to the album ‘The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society’; the song I am not a Dog on a Chain seems to owe something to that era of The Kinks.

Arguably it's difficult to give the album seven out of ten that's got The Secret of Music and Darling I Hug A Pillow on it. Pretty solid otherwise. (Just my opinion, obviously)

On a different note, why do reviewers give 5/10 to records they clearly don't like? It's seen as meaning 'fit for the dumper' when it should mean 'average'. Most albums, most things for that matter, should fit in a range of 4-6.

Last edited:
My plea is that they change their name from Uncut to Uncircumcised. Easier on the ear...and other places. :squiffy:

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom