Uncut - more Moz/Smiths content

U

Uncleskinny

Just flicking through the latest Uncut, and apart from the album review and short interview (has that been posted here yet?) there are a couple of snippets that may be of interest. Apparently Simon Goddard's Songs That Saved Your Life is to be re-printed in an updated and expanded version, and had a Steven Wright photo on the cover (from the Queen Is Dead session). Also, a hilarious tirade from Ian McCulloch:

"I think the idea that The Smiths were the most significant British group of the '80s is just soddin' nonsense. I think they may have been siginificant to a few disaffected ugly people, but that's about it. I don't want to put them down, but if The Smiths were symbolic of the '80s, maybe that's why music ended up goin' nowhere, in a cul-de-sac in Rochdale. It's like Morrissey at some point thought 'Right, I'll drag this entire generation into me little soddin' bedsit where the walls are all goin' black with damp and that's where we'll all wallow' It's crap. That's not where I want to end up. I want to die in space. I could never uderstand his obsession with those '60s working-class filems. I 'ated all that. All them scrawny little bleeders from Oldham moanin' about life. Give me stars. It's like that film 'e was allus goin' on about, the one wth Rita Tushingham and Dora Bryan's 'er mum. Taste Of Honey, is it? 'Ated it. Yer've got that little soddin' turd....Murray Melvin, is that 'is name? Little soddin' dead ringer for something out of Close Encounters. Makes me want to puke. I 'ate things like that. Just soddin drab. 'E was as wet as they come, Morrissey. Like, if in doubt, eat vegetables. Sod off. 'Meat Is Murder' What a soddin' paltry pathetic thing to say. I mean, try tellin' that to a cow."

Also, on the subject of fan letters:

"The ones offerin' wild sex are the best. I got this letter and it was all 'Meet me somewhere suitable, like a cemetery.' And I thought 'Soddin' 'ell. I've got one on the rebound from Morrissey'"

Cheers, must've missed that as I flicked through. Interesting to hear that Simon Goddard's book will be reprinted in an expanded version (especially as I usually see the book in record shops at a very much reduced sale price so I'd assumed it wasn't selling well). Wonder what the new bits will be? I once read an interview with SG where he mentioned that in I Want The One I Can't Have, Morrissey had changed his lyrics from "He killed HIS MOTHER when he was thirteen" to "A POLICEMAN" at the last minute, but SG had to chop that bit out of the book due to space constraints.

I find McCulloch's tirade interesting, especially as I come from Rochdale.

Back
Top Bottom