"Low In High School" review by Stephen Troussé in Uncut (5/10, Dec. 2017)

That is outrageously offensive and crude. He is a human being, not a product for our consumption. What is wrong with the world and will it ever change?

I would imagine the better the reviews, the more popular the album with become. But at the end of the day, this is just one person's opinion.

I really like all 7 songs so far. I Think it's very Unlikely that I'm going to hate the remaining 5. I'm still excited to hear it.

I would imagine the better the reviews, the more popular the album with become. But at the end of the day, this is just one person's opinion.

I really like all 7 songs so far. I Think it's very Unlikely that I'm going to hate the remaining 5. I'm still excited to hear it.

Agreed and I think sometimes these things overstate the homogeny or the fan base and what they imagine the reaction will be. Mostly it seemed to be a review of his views on the world

More than happy to accept criticism if it’s deserved, but this is another of those reviews which appears to be written by someone with a personal issue with Morrissey. He begins the review quoting a tweet wishing Morrissey had died young, before moving on to fantasising Morrissey died before his solo career started.

The album may yet deserve a mediocre rating but this is gutter press at its worst.

More than happy to accept criticism if it’s deserved, but this is another of those reviews which appears to be written by someone with a personal issue with Morrissey. He begins the review quoting a tweet wishing Morrissey had died young, before moving on to fantasising Morrissey died before his solo career started.

The album may yet deserve a mediocre rating but this is gutter press at its worst.

What is wrong with you? You call it gutter press because its a rating you don't agree with for an album you haven't even heard. It never ceases to amaze me how acolytes suspend rational thought like this.

The only thing that matters is the meta-criticism once all the reviews are in. The big picture.

Odd that there's no mention of Home is a Question Mark which seems to be the standout song.
I expect the reviews may follow the World Peace pattern/consensus of surprisingly good music often let down by some surprisingly bad lyrics.
I predicted 3 and 4 star reviews (out of 5). So far we have a 2.5!

What is wrong with you? You call it gutter press because its a rating you don't agree with for an album you haven't even heard. It never ceases to amaze me how acolytes suspend rational thought like this.

The only thing that matters is the meta-criticism once all the reviews are in. The big picture.

The issue I have is the wish for a person to have died young to 'save' their legacy. It's not normal to wish that and to feel it acceptable to print that. The review of the album itself, well I don't really care either way. We will already have our own opinions having heard several songs live.

I'm not surprised to be honest as the music on some of the new songs are really bad. I suspect more reviews like this.

I didn’t label it ‘gutter press’ because of the review score. I haven’t heard it. Five may be generous. I labelled it so because the review spends the first paragraphs fantasising about Morrissey dying after The Queen Is Dead. Do you think that’s an acceptable way to begin a review?

I didn’t label it ‘gutter press’ because of the review score. I haven’t heard it. Five may be generous. I labelled it so because the review spends the first paragraphs fantasising about Morrissey dying after The Queen Is Dead. Do you think that’s an acceptable way to begin a review?

Of course it's acceptable. The journalist wrote it. They can write what they like, and there's nothing you or I can do about it. I have no feelings about how they choose to express themselves.

From what i've heard so far, 5/10 seems about right. Viva hate was an amazing album, Vauxhall was an amazing album, YA, YATQ, ROTT, all very solid albums. How anyone can put LIHS on a level with those is beyond me, it's even an insult to compare it to Kill Uncle. When are we all going to admit that Morrissey isnt as good as he once was. His new stuff is dire.

I have no feelings about how they choose to express themselves.

But you seem to have quite alot of (as in...infinite) feelings, about how, for example, Morrissey chooses to express himself.
You seem very Zen this morning Unk. New Muesli? ;)

The story is old, and it goes on, of how it would have been better for 'us', or music history, or music journalists, or...music, generally, if Morrissey had choked himself in Chelsea in 1987.

Perhaps that's true.

But i'm guessing it may not have been quite so canny for Steven Patrick Morrissey's family, friends and loved ones.

That is where the offense is sourced.

And stating it via an anonymous twitt is a cop-out. As well as a crappy opening to a review.

ps ~ í like "Kill Uncle" so...

If only the reviewer had been struck down then he wouldn't have typed those words and I wouldn't have typed this sentence.

The seven tracks that we've heard so far are really good tracks both lyrically and musically.

That review is an hit piece. It's literally the definition of an hit piece.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surely the 'only thing that matters' is whether you (or any other individual) likes the album. The little picture. I love lots of records (and films, books, plays, exhibitions) that have been panned by critics. Similarly, I have been unimpressed by things lauded by critics. Not always, but often.

Admittedly, for Morrissey to continue making music, he needs some degree of commercial success, but that rarely has anything to do with critical reception.

I haven't actually read the review, by the way. I tend to read reviews afterwards, out of curiosity more than anything.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom