Uncut: Bona Drag review 'Lifeguard' akin to Larkin?

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
Excellent review of the new old album.
Not a poet eh Simon?
And before anyone starts, don't bother with the 'Larkin was a hoary old racist too' gags. It aint big and it aint clever...

5032967299_b996f1b192_b.jpg

Plus print ad ~

5033560978_2f8cbbf046_b.jpg

Re: 'Uncut' "Bona Drag" review; 'Lifeguard' akin to Larkin?

thanks joe :thumb:any idea who shot the pic(new to me) where is looking down?the first scan?

thanks joe :thumb:any idea who shot the pic(new to me) where is looking down?the first scan?

I wonder if it is one of the "selection of favourite, hand-picked and rarely-seen photos" that is included in the new CD booklet?

Dave

I wonder if it is one of the "selection of favourite, hand-picked and rarely-seen photos" that is included in the new CD booklet?

Dave

Highly likely, amazing photo. One of his best, I think
Cheers Moz

While it's nice to read a positive review the Uncut reviewer doesn't seem to actually know what he's talking about. How can you "review" an album and only mention one track?

So, er, one star better than Maroon 5?

Thanks but no thanks Uncut!

The only review that matters is the one you yourself write. I've written one in my head that says "This is a fantastic album" and I've given it 7, COUNT THEM, 7 stars. Up yours, magazine reviewers!

P.

Excellent review of the new old album.
Not a poet eh Simon?
And before anyone starts, don't bother with the 'Larkin was a hoary old racist too' gags. It aint big and it aint clever...

5032967299_b996f1b192_b.jpg

Plus print ad ~

5033560978_2f8cbbf046_b.jpg

Thanks Peter. It looks like Mojo gave it a 4 as well (from the ad) although if 'British pop never got any better than this' (as claimed) why the heck didn't they give it a 5!
That's pretty impressive work from the record company getting the Mojo score in the ad for the album before this month's Mojo even became publicly available...

Thanks Peter. It looks like Mojo gave it a 4 as well (from the ad) although if 'British pop never got any better than this' (as claimed) why the heck didn't they give it a 5!
That's pretty impressive work from the record company getting the Mojo score in the ad for the album before this month's Mojo even became publicly available...

The thread and scans are posted by joe frady, not Uncleskinny this time.

The thread and scans are posted by joe frady, not Uncleskinny this time.

Heavens, vicarious credit - I didn't even do it! Cheers to Joe:thumb:

In fact the steam-driven scanner has died, hence no Marr article in Total Guitar. I feel shamed. Until Mrs F lets me buy another scanner, it's bye-bye scans for now.

P.

Are you trying to insinuate something? :cool:

Are you trying to insinuate something? :cool:

err, nope not really!
but I remember with YOR, the record company placed adverts in Q and Mojo who both gave it a bad review, but didn't advertise in Uncut who gave it a really good one! so seems like the new people are a bit more switched on...

I've never seen it either.
I would take an educated guess as to Linder being the shooter.

Dave

Mystery solved http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=1359659&postcount=3782

There is a different crop of the image inside the new CD
5036135163_348ed97e59_b.jpg

From Joe's description it sounds like a Linder image.

Dave

Strange to cite Larkin and not mention Stevie Smith... laziness, I think.

In what way?

(I thought this was a reasonable review. They hardly ever give five stars and I don't know if they would give five stars for a reissue anyway, on principle.)

I thought the reviewer misunderstood the way people often do view Morrissey's lyrics on a par with Larkin or whatever, and the "camp whimsey" thing felt like someone being obtuse about whether or not they'd "got it". The point is, there is heroism in meekness and if the reviewer finds himself saying that at the end of a review, (or being reminded of Larkin) it doesn't matter how he got there, whether through something he claimed was "camp whimsey", o through poetry, the fact that he got there it proves it was working. (Or she. I don't know who it was.)

And actually I don't think this is "heroism in meekness", precisely. I mean, they're on the way to what it is but they aren't quite there yet.

Brett Warner of ology.com (whatever that is) gives the thumbs-up and includes a nice selection of videos at the link:

- This month marks the 20th anniversary of Morrissey’s Bona Drag, a pre-Britpop landmark and absolute necessity for hopelessly unloved teenagers everywhere. A reissued, deluxe edition hits stores October 19th, featuring six bonus studio cuts as well as updated artwork and liner notes.

After his critically acclaimed solo debut Viva Hate in 1988, Manchester’s Maven of Mope decided to switch up his method of releasing new music. Putting off a proper full-length follow-up, Morrissey instead opted to release holdover singles, beginning with the boisterous “The Last Of The Famous International Playboys” in 1989. Followed soon by “Interesting Drug” and the notably non-classic “Ouija Board, Ouija Board,” it became apparent that a new LP was further off than originally planned. Thus Bona Drag (“Nice Outfit”) was born, compiling the new singles, studio outtakes, b-sides and the previously released hits “Suedehead” and “Everyday Is Like Sunday.” From the sweeping orchestral gloom of “Will Never Marry” to the existential pleas in “November Spawned A Monster,” Bona Drag marks the distinct turning point when Morrissey broke free of his past work, clearing a path for new, more adventurous musical and lyrical directions. His future classics—namely 1992’s Your Arsenal and Vauxhall And I in ‘94—owe a great debt to this album, one of rock & roll’s most enduring and satisfying compilation records.

Perhaps fated to be best remembered as the foppish, hyper-literate singer for The Smiths, Morrissey and his solo career have seen both soaring creative highs and debilitating critical lows. (The alternative icon was without a record label for six years during the 90s.) Love or hate him, Morrissey has left an indelible mark on the history of modern rock. This highly anticipated reissue is sure to excite Mozzer fans while hopefully attracting a few new devotees eager to hang the blessed DJ. -

http://ology.com/music/reissued-morrisseys-bona-drag

"... shows that Morrissey was still writing great songs in the aftermath of the Smiths."

I think this was probably the most useful point made in the review. I think that can't be said too much. (Or is it "enough"? (What is that saying?) I'm sure you know what I mean, anyway!)

Back
Top Bottom