Un Chant d'Amour Moz & The flowers

Scarlet1987

The sanest days are mad
I have just watched Un Chant d'Amour by Jean Genet and I must say I am mesmorized.

Now Morrissey has said that this is another of his favourites and I'm assuming that his passion for this is probably pretty much proof that he's homosexual, hence wearing the flowers on his crotch etc

I don't know much about this short film but I am shocked that it was made in 1950! So ahead of it's time, was homosexuality illegal in France aswell as the UK in the 1950's? Sorry I have no idea.

But anyway don't all start getting pissy about me mentioning Morrisseys sexuality (I myself think that he's bisexual, asexual whatever) I just wanted to hear some views about people who had seen it also.

And one final thing, where oh where does Moz find these gems?

Jean Genet is pretty famous, he's not an obscure author. So I think it was easy to find him for Moz. It's a great poet and he had a very rich life, a lie of thief but supported by the french public intellectual (as Jean-Paul Sartre), he was involved in The Black Panthers and in the Palestinians at the end of his life.

Un chant d'amour is a very good film. I recommend you his poetry and his novels.

Last edited:
Just watched it.

Am speechless.

record sleeves

Morrissey's mother used to be a librarian and gave him tips what to read.

It's very obvious that Morrissey's very much into films to use many film steels for Smiths record sleeves.
I think he was reading quality film magazines such as Sight and Sound during his formative years.

'Because of My Poor Education' and 'You Were Good in Your Time' feature samples from classic Frech films '400 Blows' and 'Pepe Le Moko' which makes me smile.

Re: record sleeves

It's very obvious that Morrissey's very much into films to use many film steels for Smiths record sleeves.
I think he was reading quality film magazines such as Sight and Sound during his formative years.

'Because of My Poor Education' and 'You Were Good in Your Time' feature samples from classic Frech films '400 Blows' and 'Pepe Le Moko' which makes me smile.

I didn't realise that about 'Education'. Thanks

Ah, I never realised that was from Pépé Le Moko! :)

Jean Genet is pretty famous, he's not an obscure author. So I think it was easy to find him for Moz. It's a great poet and he had a very rich life, a lie of thief but supported by the french public intellectual (as Jean-Paul Sartre), he was involved in The Black Panthers and in the Palestinians at the end of his life.

Un chant d'amour is a very good film. I recommend you his poetry and his novels.

I've known in the Marais' book.
He's very interesting.

It's a real beauty of a film. Where did Morrissey say it was one of his favourites?

In a french mag " Les inrockuptibles" a few years ago.

In a french mag " Les inrockuptibles" a few years ago.

Correction/ in a French mag that used to be a decent read yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago (and even then they were closer to wa%nK¨^g than writing.):rolleyes: French pseudo intellectuals. :rolleyes:

Julie, shall we get Scarlet a subscription to les cahiers du cinema? :straightface: Mmmmmm.

Correction/ in a French mag that used to be a decent read yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago (and even then they were closer to wa%nK¨^g than writing.):rolleyes: French pseudo intellectuals. :rolleyes:

Julie, shall we get Scarlet a subscription to les cahiers du cinema? :straightface: Mmmmmm.

Thanks Barking, I totallly agree with this essential correction.

Regarding "Les cahiers du cinema" I don't know....maybe Scarlet should go to flea markets to find old issues, I'm not sure that "Les cahiers" are still as good as before...

Thanks Barking, I totallly agree with this essential correction.

Regarding "Les cahiers du cinema" I don't know....maybe Scarlet should go to flea markets to find old issues, I'm not sure that "Les cahiers" are still as good as before...

That and the fact you'd have to be bilingual. ;) :thumb:

Thank you for agreeing with me re/ les Inrocks. I wonder if they're aware of that themselves? (The w@n^*ing literary style may have had to do something with the fact that they were all...
un%hagg@ble blokes...:confused:)

I wonder if they're aware of that themselves? (The w@n^*ing literary style may have had to do something with the fact that they were all...
un%hagg@ble blokes...:confused:)

I'm not sure....and if they are, it's worst. The worst is their website, it's full of platitudes and spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes....and don't ask me how I know that :rolleyes:

:confused:
Where is the sample in 'Because of My Poor Education'?

Anyway, I am a huge Genet fan :)

I remember watching Pepe Le Moke when I was about 11 and thought I was watching something from another world. Then I realised it was just BBC2.

Back
Top Bottom