Un Chant d'Amour Moz & The flowers

Re: record sleeves

Morrissey has impeccable taste in films. Un Chant d'amour is a dazzling and poetic piece of cinema. I love the work of Jean Genet and find him a fascinating figure. He was a true genius who came out of 'nowhere' much like Arthur Rimbaud in the previous century. His books (The Thief's Journal, Miracle Of The Rose etc) are unique and born out of a singular vision which was never compromised by anyone or anything. It is easy to see why Morrissey would be interested in him and his work: He was the ultimate outsider. He saw profound lyricism in those who were ostracized from 'normal' society through criminal behavior, sexuality, poverty etc as he himself was. Anyone unfamiliar with Genet will find many rewards in discovering his work. There is a famous biography of him by Sartre called Saint Genet and also a more recent and readable one by Edmund
White.

Re: record sleeves

Morrissey has impeccable taste in films. Un Chant d'amour is a dazzling and poetic piece of cinema. I love the work of Jean Genet and find him a fascinating figure. He was a true genius who came out of 'nowhere' much like Arthur Rimbaud in the previous century. His books (The Thief's Journal, Miracle Of The Rose etc) are unique and born out of a singular vision which was never compromised by anyone or anything. It is easy to see why Morrissey would be interested in him and his work: He was the ultimate outsider. He saw profound lyricism in those who were ostracized from 'normal' society through criminal behavior, sexuality, poverty etc as he himself was. Anyone unfamiliar with Genet will find many rewards in discovering his work. There is a famous biography of him by Sartre called Saint Genet and also a more recent and readable one by Edmund
White.

I agree with the above. I would also suggest watching Querelle, it's based on Genets novel. It's not so much a fantastic film but the scenery and style has been very influential, i think it influenced the inner sleeve of swords.
Genet was a spark in the night and created some fantastic art, he is the prototype that the middle class beat writers aped.
I don't think Morrisseys mum got him in to Genet, from what I can gather Genet was very hip in the 70's thanks to Bowie (jean Jeanie, etc).
It was Bowie who probably got Moz into Klaus Nomi as well.

Back
Top Bottom