Morrissey Central "UK OFFICIAL CHART THIS WEEK" (May 23, 2023)

ad6d74e49954456ca4784f41ea9f5301.jpg

SOUND OF THE SMITHS
re-enters at number 30

HATFUL OF HOLLOW
re-enters at number 49

Why do people buy records immediately after someone has passed away? I cannot fathom the thinking behind it. If you like the singer or band you will own the record already surely?

What a GREAT Smiths record! The best introduction to The Smiths for a first-time listener (plus, if they manage to get a physical copy they get the very nice photos too). Andy plays masterfully on the majority of this album, and even though it's a compilation of sorts - it's the album that showcases his talent the most I think. Also, people may still think that's Andy on the cover! :p

🙄
I would say that with all the exposure over the last few days with Andy's death, people would have heard a lot of the smiths music more than they ever would have.
In a way it’s like free promotion and this has brought it to the publics attention once more.
I was expecting a few LPs to re enter the charts at some point.

What a GREAT Smiths record! The best introduction to The Smiths for a first-time listener. Andy plays masterfully on the majority of this album, and even though it's a compilation of sorts - it's the album that showcases his talent the most I think. Also, people may still think that's Andy on the cover! :p
Yes, it’s my fave album as well.
Played it to death for years, and it’s a firm fave whilst driving.

The songs don’t change after the musician died. It all stays the same. Why go out and repurchase an album you must have discarded years ago? Unless you’re a total newbie, of course…

Why do people buy records immediately after someone has passed away? I cannot fathom the thinking behind it. If you like the singer or band you will own the record already surely?
I'm sure there are a whole heap of the general public who only vaguely know of The Smiths by reputation, they maybe are familiar with one or two tracks, and have been meaning to check them out for ages, but for whatever reason hadn't yet got round to doing 'deeper dives' and buying full albums. An artist's passing always acts as a huge publicity boost to the general public, even without any nefarious 'Paint a Vulgar Picture' style record company antics.

Look at it positively - at least a load of new people are going to be exposed to Andy's playing who otherwise may never have heard it before.

An artist's death always means a lot of media attention and if the deceased was a musician, then airplay too. So the people don't really buy a record because someone has died but because they have now been suddenly been forcefully introduced (or reminded of) to music which they like.

The songs don’t change after the musician died. It all stays the same. Why go out and repurchase an album you must have discarded years ago? Unless you’re a total newbie, of course…
I think the chart re-entries are based on streaming. The media coverage of Andy's death brought the music of The Smiths back to the public attention.

Not to be a massive pedant, but these are provisional mid-week chart positions only: the actual UK albums chart comes out on Friday. (So the eventual positions could be higher, lower, or the same.)

View attachment 91332

SOUND OF THE SMITHS
re-enters at number 30

HATFUL OF HOLLOW
re-enters at number 49

Hatful of Hollow was the first album I heard of The Smiths. My brother brought a cassette home. I was 13 or 14 years old then and I could not figure out what fascinated me more: the voice, the lyrics, the guitars or the rhythm section. I started writing parts of the lyrics in my schoolbooks and Hatful of Hollow is the record I would take if I was forced to save one Smiths record in a fire. It is an absolute masterpiece and it makes me shiver that Johnny Marr was hardly 20 years old, when he came up with these arrangements. This record changed and saved my life!

Would have been nice if MC mentioned that the re entries are linked to a surge in interest after Andy’s passing, re affirming how well liked/respected he was.

good tribute to andy,no frills statement.
Would have been nice if MC mentioned that the re entries are linked to a surge in interest after Andy’s passing, re affirming how well liked/respected he was.
if he did mention andy then a few people on here would say he was cashing in on andys death,he cant win.

Nice tribute for Andy.
Both of these albums are platinum already.
Interesting that these are selling the most and not, say, The Queen Is Dead or Singles, also platinum.
But let’s wait for Friday when the charts are announced to see where the others might be.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom