UK chart position, day one (#2) - true-to-you.net

Re: TTY - UK chart position, day one (#2)

There is zero chance then for a 4th solo number 1 (in four subsequent decades).
Gutted.
I blame whoever thought it wise to release 4 songs long before the album's release (two of which are the worst on the album) and not release a traditional lead-off single. Very unnecessary!

Here's the deal. Morrissey needs to come on this site and apologize to David T for kicking him out of his concerts. In return I will buy his CD. If not I will borrow a copy of WPINOYB from my friend and buy both the regular and deluxe copies of this Ed Sheeran CD.

If he doesn't make #1 in the UK, it will ultimately be down to his own lack of promotion. Now, he may still be ill, in which case - fine. But he could easily have a)done a radio interview and or session on Radio 2 and reached a few million people, b) do some print interviews - even one, c) done a signing session for the album in London and cause chaos with thousands of people turning up.

You can't just stay in bed and do nothing, and hope it will sell.

He didn't really promote Autobiography, and it ended up being a bestseller. Maybe he was overly encouraged by how that worked out for him and decided to try that with an album.

Here's the deal. Morrissey needs to come on this site and apologize to David T for kicking him out of his concerts. In return I will buy his CD. If not I will borrow a copy of WPINOYB from my friend and buy both the regular and deluxe copies of this Ed Sheeran CD.

The higher road doesn't involve quid pro quos.

Why is everyone assuming that he'll be either 2 or 1?
The album will probably drop out of the top 10 before the end of the week.
Morrissey fans, geeks that we are bought it on release day. It dries up a lot after that.

The problem with this is you are judging a whole country - well several countries, in actual fact - based on the whining of a small minority on this website.

Maybe we should judge the USA based on what US posters write....

I'm aware of that. When in Rome. :D

I couldn't see a proper marketing campaign, at least here in Germany. Not one printed review in the big music papers, no ads - will all hopefully happen at the end of this month, but this is too late.

Sign of the times to release tracks as DL in advance, ok, but 4 of them? No physical single for the man who formerly took care of every aspect of his releases, sleeves and even the design of the inner core of the 7"? No wonder that there wasn't real chart impact, something that seems to be so important for Morrissey.

Not to mention the cheap standard package, paper thin and without a booklet. Though there is a exclusive booklet to the Deluxe CD, it does only contain lyrics to 12 songs. The Japanese deluxe will come with the added spoken word videos on CD-E and hopefully with the complete lyrics, too.

The album is so great, it deserves full attention of the responsible marketing division. Bundles that don't arrive in time, a Vinyl release that is postponed a week (so can't add sales in this first week), a 10" nobody knows when and where to get in advance - no good signs!

You have said everything that had to be mentioned....

Cheers Moz

interviews would have helped at least in the lyrics as i dont think people always get them, especially neal cassidy drops dead. i dont think the words were as obvious in there meaning this time around or as appealing in there superficial immediate interpretation.

havent read it yet and of course in the u.s its harder to come by except for maybe a barnes and nobel if they still carry it. none in rolling stone, spin, fader, mojo, uncut, under the radar, sentimentalist, no depression, filter, clash, classic pop, Q, kerrang, wire, the face, billboard, magnet (this is an industry rag though) etc etc. at least none that i saw.

also as was pointed out already and above there is no moz interview. thanks though for the recommendation

It will be at about 20k by Sunday, the same amount the Manics had last week, and they entered at 2, World Peace will hopefully be 2 too.

Given that Manic Street Preachers had sold 11.2k with presumably more exposure and ended the week just upwards of 19k, it will almost certainly mean a debut of between 15 - 18,000 for World Peace; roughly half (more likely to be less than more) of what 'Autobiography' managed over its first week on British shelves.

The boom years of the 2000s are certainly over for Morrissey; it's back to the 90s, that stretch from Vauxhall & I onwards where 25k was the ceiling for a Morrissey chart debut, one that was seldom touched.

Last edited:
Maybe he's unhappy with the album and that's why he isn't promoting it?

Unless he's ill I find it absurd that he's disappeared.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom