U2 new album enters UK chart at #5, then drops out of the top 20

Maurice E Maher

Is it all over for Bono and the boys?
They haven't sold as many records as the new Liam Gallagher album - guess that means they are no longer icons?

It's all over for albums.

When it comes to older artists and the audiences that aged with them especially, I think more people are inclined
to stream music, or that music is less of a priority for them in life. Besides, U2 had a hard enough time giving it away for free. :lbf:
There will still be people happy to go see them though. You also have to factor in that many younger fans of legacy/iconic/whatever
are likely to have made up their minds about a band's "heyday" and are happy with albums from that era.
The Rolling Stones could release a new album tomorrow and tour, but I imagine 2/3 of the arena will have Exile on Main Street
on their minds, not Arthritis and Boner Pills, or whatever those geezers would call a new album.

When it comes to older artists and the audiences that aged with them especially, I think more people are inclined
to stream music, or that music is less of a priority for them in life. Besides, U2 had a hard enough time giving it away for free. :lbf:
There will still be people happy to go see them though.

Yeah, I think when we look at ticket sales at current prices bands like U2 are still killing it. Only the most diehard fans are going to buy albums when they can stream for next to nothing. Seems like Morrissey is one of the last holdouts complaining about chart position.

Last edited:
Album sales are finished but that's old news. Selling records means jack all these days. All the big money is in touring hence why U2 have just grossed over $300 million from their last tour

Yeah, I think when we look at ticket sales at current prices bands like U2 are still killing it. Only the most diehard fans are going to buy albums when they can stream for next to nothing. Seems like Morrissey is one of the last holdouts complaining about chart position.
If you want to make a difference in a life by buying records, go see local/smaller touring bands and shell out for their stuff. On the bigger scale, the entire business as Morrissey (and other old holdouts) knew it is truly dead and buried. Unfortunately, it makes it to where aging acts have to tour relentlessly to keep up and stay relevant.

There will still be people happy to go see them though. You also have to factor in that many younger fans of legacy/iconic/whatever
are likely to have made up their minds about a band's "heyday" and are happy with albums from that era.
The Rolling Stones could release a new album tomorrow and tour, but I imagine 2/3 of the arena will have Exile on Main Street
on their minds, not Arthritis and Boner Pills, or whatever those geezers would call a new album.

My post was tongue-in-cheek. We have an exceptionally dimwitted troll in our midst who claimed that if Morrissey couldn't outsell Willy Gallagher, he could no longer be considered an icon. I have (rather enjoyably) debunked out troll for the deluded, ignorant f***wit he truly is on many occasions in recent months, and this is yet another.
The new U2 album has performed similarly to Morrissey's (in at #5 then flying out the top 20) so according to our little troll man (funny how trolls are always little and always men), neither act can no longer be considered iconic. Maybe our little trolling friend will decide he's made enough of a fool of himself now and move on. Otherwise, please await my further debunking!

Yeah, the money now is in live and merch. That said an album plays a part in getting people to watch gigs and buy shirts, it's not dead money, looking at it purely from a financial point of view.

It's quite endearing that Morrissey still places importance on record sales and doesn't get that the lack of them is just a sign of the times.

Lawnmowers

Back
Top Bottom