Typically cliched Smiths article - Independent 13/09/09

chelsea_steve

Never moon at a werewolf!
Here's an article which appears in today's Independent. I've no idea why it was written. I'm guessing they just need to fill some space in today's issue.
God, I hate this kind of lazy, cliched journalism, but I thought I'd share any way.

Independent take on The Smiths

Re: Typically cliched Smiths article

Victoria Richards doesn't know the fact that Smiths songs are featured 'Pretty in Pink', 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', 'Out of Bounds' and 'She's Having a Baby'.

Some people discovered them through those films.

It reads like the Editor telling a young journalist to go and write their first article on a subject that interests them. I cannot see the point of the article.

Peter

Yuck. I found myself disagreeing with most of what she said, as well. But I suppose any mention of the Smiths is a good thing?

"...and how "heavenly" it would be to get hit by a double-decker bus"

see, i hate stuff like this. that's not what the song says at all... the bus is irrelevant.

Victoria Richards doesn't know the fact that Smiths songs are featured 'Pretty in Pink', 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', 'Out of Bounds' and 'She's Having a Baby'.

Some people discovered them through those films.

Maybe she does know that, but it's irrelevant to the (admittedly poorly written) article.
She is saying that the fanbase is growing stronger thanks to the film out this summer and as a result, fans at the younger age range are getting into the band.

Jukebox Jury

It almost doesn't seem newsworthy, looks suspiciously like an advert for the film wrapped up in a half-arsed, cliche-ridden story about the Smiths.

Back
Top Bottom