TWO Unseen Robert Mackie letters and Moz`s pre-Smiths articles- Fanzine "Kid`s Stuff

Re: TWO Unseen Robert Mackie letters (not included in mackie's "words by morrissey")

Another fine advert for the Glasgow education process :rolleyes:

Hey now, at least he is aware of his spelling weakness and asks us to please excuse it! I've seen worse grammar/syntax from those whose primary language is supposedly English...on this very website, no less! :straightface:

Re: TWO Unseen Robert Mackie letters (not included in mackie's "words by morrissey")

thanksMel for sharing Robert's letter,
I enjoyed reading it, shame Morrissey's mum kept Robert away from a reunion.
As a dyslexic, I've learnt over the years that the only people who care about spellings
are snobs. Both Morrissey's and Robert's handwriting styles are charming, they're unique.
It's the content that matters and Robert should publish what he can remember of his letters,(that would be difficult after all these years). I bet Morrissey has kept them. He's too cute for words.

Hey now, at least he is aware of his spelling weakness and asks us to please excuse it! I've seen worse grammar/syntax from those whose primary language is supposedly English...on this very website, no less! :straightface:

It was kind of Robert to reply to you.
those who are taking the piss, think they better than him...now that's stupid

I WAS the grammar police

It was kind of Robert to reply to you.
those who are taking the piss, think they better than him...now that's stupid

Amen, Lainey!

Indeed, Mackie's letter was a kind favour to me. Jebus, it was not business correspondence nor an essay to be submitted for a grade. I easily understood the message, and that's what counts! I also noticed that he spelled other more difficult, longer words with standardised spelling. Interesting.

As someone else pointed out earlier, Moz wouldn't win any spelling awards, neither. Cemetry gates, anyone? ;) Why get snarky because a bloke who's kind enough to bother writing a nonentity misspells a few words? I normally wouldn't get het up about a little teasing, but I feel more protective about Mackie because of his personal kindness to me.

BTW, Torr's disclaimer that the spelling errors in the transcribed letters are all Mozzer's is incorrect. I've noticed that some of the errors are actually Torr's typos. Can't help noticing these things. Had a job editing and used to teach English, so :blushing: don't judge me too harshly! :eek:

Re: I WAS the grammar police

LOL @ "Jesus thinks you're OK" hahaha

I'm signing all my letters that way from now on.

thanks Mel for sharing Robert's letter,
I enjoyed reading it, shame Morrissey's mum kept Robert away from a reunion.
(...) I bet Morrissey has kept them. He's too cute for words.

I bet he keeps everything like the nutter that he is.:straightface: I just hope he doesn't have them letters framed.:straightface: (Although some would deserve to be. :thumb:)

Oh, his mama is getting too much stick, I'm sure she's forwarded his mail sometimes.
:)confused:... Mama against a reunion?:eek: Mama not passing along Johnny's note "Morisey I fink we should reunitte" because she's a spelling snob and a librarian?:eek: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :drama: mmmama let me go -ooHorror scenario!)

Last edited:

these arent written to mackie but to john muir owner of babylon books who publishes the 3 books written by moz. letters were printed in a morrissey book called morrissey in quotes

letterlu.jpg

letter001.jpg

edit 08.09pm:
added
a list of people moz was interested in writing about them
not all of them made it into exit smiling
adressed to muir since its in his book
faves001.jpg

edit 1st of march:
there is sth more:
i have a introduction written by moz for exit smiling but which was not printed in exit smiling but printed in muirs "morrissey in quotes" book
it has a short re run into the persons who made it into exit smiling-w quite a nice read which gave you an idea about the writing style in exit smiling
will include that too soon here

Last edited:

I'll bet Morrissey was hilarious as a friend in the 80's, he was really cheeky and witty!

And he seems really kind what with offering to tape them Monochrome albums.

Fascinating and highly amusing thanks very much both

Do people still have penpals as with the advent of e-mail and social networking I would guess its a dying art.
I used to be penpals with a girl from peterborough and one from London when I was 14/15. Those were the days.

Strange and interesting read.
I told Jim Kerr (of Simple Minds) about (JK's on Facebook):

"Here is what burning waxings that presently turn me on (babee);

Today I died again (Simple Minds)
How I wrote elastic man (The Fall)
The end (Nico)
Frankenstein (New York Dolls)
Sweetheart Contract (Magazine)
Fantastic voyage (David Bowie)
6060-842 (B-52's)
My cheery is in Sherry (Ludus)"

Jim replied that he thought it was interesting and that the title of that song reminds him of Morrissey's style. A style that he admire very much.

:thumb:

Last edited:

Hmmm... Laurence Harvey made the list of people Morrissey wanted to write to in 1984? Too bad he died in 1973.

Interesting letters though, terribly witty and clever. Sounded like he was flirting madly with that Scottish John fella.

these are two articles morrissey wrote in 1977 for the fanzine kids stuff about the manchester scene/buzzcocks and about the new york dolls.
transcribed excerpts but not the full orginial l has been made avaiable yet
enjoy:
manchestermoz-1-3.jpg

buzzmoz-1-1.jpg

dollsmoz-1-1.jpg

dollsmoz001-1-1.jpg

dolls-2.jpg

this ^last site : im not sure if thats still from morrissey or from the other writer of this fanzine
i would say the latter but i include it still

lol :D :D :D

Tags
fanzine letter mackie pre-smiths robert mackie
Back
Top Bottom