Twin Peaks thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
I almost feel like some of it is a big "f*** you" to Showtime for forcing Lynch to play hardball with the budget negotiations.

Even if there is a "f*** you" element on Lynch's part toward either Showtime or the fans (and I admit, that's occurred to me at times), so much the better. As Oscar Wilde said, "the artist must educate the critic."

No...I don't think it's obvious that that's what is happening here. The "slow pace" isn't the objective, it's just the way he's telling the story. The story is the objective. If he could have told it quickly he would have. He doesn't want to. I doubt very much he sat down with Mark Frost and said, "how can we draw this out as agonizingly long as possible?" It think that the pacing simply results from a) a storyteller who has a huge vision and wants to make sure it it manifested exactly as he sees it in his head, which takes time, and b) the inevitable process of reassembling a story after a quarter century of dormancy.

Even if there is a "f*** you" element on Lynch's part toward either Showtime or the fans (and I admit, that's occurred to me at times), so much the better. As Oscar Wilde said, "the artist must educate the critic."

So the pace is not deliberately slow. It's done that way because that's the only way to tell the story the way he wants to. But sometimes you think it's deliberately done. Also, Oscar Wilde.
FheIewZ.jpg

I'll make a most likely futile attempt to clarify for you that I realize this is not a typical show and I didn't say it should be done like one. But a typical show would have put us back in the old familiar storyline much faster. I don't think I said this would be the best way or the only way to do it.

However, I think you're wrong. We are repeatedly given scenes that are slow-paced and not central to the story. Did you miss the scene with the guy sweeping the floor? Do you think the French girl's prolonged exit in the episode yesterday added anything to the plot? If I went back through the episodes there are examples in each one. I almost feel like some of it is a big "f*** you" to Showtime for forcing Lynch to play hardball with the budget negotiations. Some of it is about atmosphere, and that's fine. It adds texture. But my point is that there is a limited amount of time to tell the story and while I might be able to appreciate these atmosphere pieces later I currently find myself counting down the (wasted) minutes.

Let's be realistic here...David Lynch is 71 years old. He went a decade between this and 'Inland Empire' without directing anything. It more than likely has nothing to do with Showtime and is more about that this is probably the last project Lynch is going to undertake. This is not only the conclusion to a 26 year old beloved cult show but also the conclusion to a 50 year career.

This isn't a Morrissey record. Lynch isn't going to shamelessly waste time trying to "settle scores" with his art. Give the guy a break and try to enjoy the few hours that are left.

Let's be realistic here...David Lynch is 71 years old. He went a decade between this and 'Inland Empire' without directing anything. It more than likely has nothing to do with Showtime and is more about that this is probably the last project Lynch is going to undertake. This is not only the conclusion to a 26 year old beloved cult show but also the conclusion to a 50 year career.

This isn't a Morrissey record. Lynch isn't going to shamelessly waste time trying to "settle scores" with his art. Give the guy a break and try to enjoy the few hours that are left.

I don't really know what his motives are. I was just offering that as a possible explanation for some of what I feel is a deliberate element of the way he is presenting the story. His experience with the story is obviously different than mine as the viewer and one important way is that he knows how the story will unfold. Once it's all been seen then going back and enjoying the lingering textural scenes will feel different. If I'd already seen it all and could just relax and enjoy reviewing I wouldn't feel that tension I do when the story stops moving so some seemingly inconsequential thing can happen.

I don't really know what his motives are. I was just offering that as a possible explanation for some of what I feel is a deliberate element of the way he is presenting the story. His experience with the story is obviously different than mine as the viewer and one important way is that he knows how the story will unfold. Once it's all been seen then going back and enjoying the lingering textural scenes will feel different. If I'd already seen it all and could just relax and enjoy reviewing I wouldn't feel that tension I do when the story stops moving so some seemingly inconsequential thing can happen.

How many Lynch films have you seen? Because this is exactly what Lynch does...

If a homeowner in Buckhorn, South Dakota has a portal to another dimension in their garden wouldn't the FBI and police think it was advisable to evacuate the homeowner and his/her family from the residence? Just in case one of them gets pulled into it while they're out mowing the lawn or whatever.

And would these dealings with the paranormal really be in the job description of the Deputy Director of the FBI? I couldn't imagine current FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe ever flying to South Dakota and peering into a porthole and being inches away from getting beheaded by a group of bearded woodsmen on a staircase. Dealing personally with the Clintons as he and his wife have done is scary enough.

Elsewhere, was Grace Zabriskie doing a Bette Davis impersonation in the first couple of lines she spoke after answering the door to Hawk? Her intonation was almost identical to Davis's iconic and unmistakable clipped delivery.

Walter Skinner would do it if Mulder and Scully needed him to. But there are some aspects of the plot that may not completely align with mundane reality.

If a homeowner in Buckhorn, South Dakota has a portal to another dimension in their garden wouldn't the FBI and police think it was advisable to evacuate the homeowner and his/her family from the residence? Just in case one of them gets pulled into it while they're out mowing the lawn or whatever.

And would these dealings with the paranormal really be in the job description of the Deputy Director of the FBI? I couldn't imagine current FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe ever flying to South Dakota and peering into a porthole and being inches away from getting beheaded by a group of bearded woodsmen on a staircase. Dealing personally with the Clintons as he and his wife have done is scary enough.

One and the same.

Vince Foster's death is a Blue Rose case.

Wow BILL Wow

She's my cousin but doesn't she look almost exactly like Gennifer Flowers?

Heads up guys - I hear tonight's episode is going to feature an 8 minute scene of the BOB blob they removed from Evil Cooper being slowly and forcibly inserted up John Justice Wheeler's rectum...

I'm spending this week watching anything I haven't seen by Lynch and rewatching stuff I have only seen once. Watched Rabbits last night; The Straight Story tonight. Loved both.

Back
Top Bottom