Tutsi or Hutu?

Who was the Big Meanie?

• Total voters

chica

v2.0
Questions inspired by the troubles in Kenya... how do you decide who are the "good" guys and the "bad" guys in civil wars? And why? What affects your judgement? How passionately do you hate the bad guys?

P.S. I might have already posted this, but it's great for this topic

Last edited by a moderator:
it's quite hard to say who's the evil one, since I'm no goodie, but i'd say the International Community( hate every word begining with "I")

Both... I mean, ther might be a few hundred/thousand more dead on one side or the other, but on such a massive scale I think the difference is moot.. Neither grouping is inherently bad, but both sides committed atrocities.

dg6nnb.jpg

Do you realize that at the rate that you, Dave and I are going there will be nothing to archive as when the time comes, everything from the last year will still be active?

Very interesting question! What I know is that the Hutu's have always hated or envied the Tutsi's because supposedly the Hutu's are not attractive and they are squat and short compared to the Tutsi's physical beauty. The Hutu's are also thought of as less intelligent ( I swear I read this somewhere ) and so when the radio told the Hutu people to massacre the Tutsi's, they wielded machetes without a thought, and killed thousands of them. But there MUST be more to it than that. You might have also put *media* in the voting choice, since the Hutu's just blindly obeyed what was heard on the radio.

Last edited:
Everyone should read this
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/books/chap1/demonicmales.htm

And watch this afterwords, for some perspective.

chica, a very eye opening article. I could have sworn the Hutu people were the ones who started it first; not the Tutsi's. In any case, people from both tribes were massacred horribly. The part about the gorillas and the chimps was very interesting as well. Rape goes on in the jungle- if a female doesn't mate with her brother! Thanks for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
chica, a very eye opening article. I could have sworn the Hutu people were the ones who started it first; not the Tutsi's. In any case, people from both tribes were massacred horribly. The part about the gorillas and the chimps was very interesting as well. Rape goes on in the jungle- if a female doesn't mate with her brother! Thanks for this.

My pleasure to be of use! :)

However, the Tutsis did kill democratically elected politicians and even assassinated Rwandan and Burundian presidents. Which caused the violence from the Hutus. So the Tutsis deserved it.

Except that the Tutsis were mistreated by the Hutus in Rwanda for a long time, since 1960s, so the Hutus deserved it.

But then, the Tutsis mistreated the Hutus for even longer time, being their feudal masters, so the Tutsis deserved it.

When exactly should we stop?

My pleasure to be of use! :)

However, the Tutsis did kill democratically elected politicians and even assassinated Rwandan and Burundian presidents. Which caused the violence from the Hutus. So the Tutsis deserved it.

Except that the Tutsis were mistreated by the Hutus in Rwanda for a long time, since 1960s, so the Hutus deserved it.

But then, the Tutsis mistreated the Hutus for even longer time, being their feudal masters, so the Tutsis deserved it.

When exactly should we stop?

Luckily, the media can help us decide who the Big Meanie is!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7542418.stm

Back
Top Bottom