TTY: Universal Music, the approach made to David Joseph, since denied by David Joseph

I've read it over and over and I don't see a denial. Just plans for the future and the fact they aren't releasing any songs by any artist concerning Paris. All John is saying is that he thinks it's a good idea, but he needs to know where the proceeds will go and he needs to hear from Morrissey and not Boz.

It's not a denial.

"In the absence of your love" , "in the absence of human touch", very fitting indeed.
I can't think of another song in modern music that aptly supports the people of Paris.

Yeah and the video could be of the Smiths playing How Soon Is Now? on Top of the Pops with Morrissey machine gunning the audience.

There's a point here missed by a lot of commentators. The dialogue between the Moz camp and Universal is being carried out through a solicitor . Can you even believe a solicitor is being paid to do this because Morrissey can't face to do it person to person ? And even then through Boz? Reminds me of the story about Ivor Perry being booted via Mike Joyce. Morrissey cannot bear to meet anyone face to face, and as his royalties buy him luxuries, he can pay others to do his bidding. But oh, the squalor of the mind.

There's a point here missed by a lot of commentators. The dialogue between the Moz camp and Universal is being carried out through a solicitor . Can you even believe a solicitor is being paid to do this because Morrissey can't face to do it person to person ? And even then through Boz? Reminds me of the story about Ivor Perry being booted via Mike Joyce. Morrissey cannot bear to meet anyone face to face, and as his royalties buy him luxuries, he can pay others to do his bidding. But oh, the squalor of the mind.
Sh*t man, it's the scum around him, I gotta believe that:blushing:

Yeah, how could we miss that? And who do you think approached record companies for Johnny Marr? Johnny himself or Joe Moss?

Yeah, how could we miss that? And who do you think approached record companies for Johnny Marr? Johnny himself or Joe Moss?

Every single f***ing time you are here, a teutonic dolt , riding in, doing your very best indeed to defend the indefensible. Why not log in? Scared of something?

Every single f***ing time you are here, a teutonic dolt , riding in, doing your very best indeed to defend the indefensible. Why not log in? Scared of something?

Where did I defend anybody? I think this whole episode is very sad and absolutely uncalled for BUT that requests and business dealings are not made by artists themselves is hardly unique to Moz. There are enough other things to criticize.

I think the solicitor, on reading Boz's email, probably replied "In the name of Jesus, please let me handle this".

Morrissey is the most interesting man on the planet, everyone else is so damn prediictable.

Please help the cause against terrorists
Would you like to buy my reissued single (download/special 7-inch/special CD)?

I don't mind what time you get killed
If it's the weekend then you just might all drop dead
Still
I want a number one
I really want a number one oh-oh

They key statement here is "Any other artist would be number 1 with this song RIGHT NOW."

Moz just wants to top the charts, even if it takes the blood of 130 terrorism victims to get there.

Let's just keep an eye on the New Years honours list, if Benny can get all this wrapped up in the debunking bag pretty soon he may just be getting that knighthood giving him the title of Sir Benny. Good luck to him his commitment is a credit to him.

Pony the Tony

I agree with the thoughts expressed by hand in glove, Harsh Truth, Irregular Regular and others. Instead of exposing the supposed villainy of Universal, all this back and forth has really done is make Morrissey and co. seem petty and opportunistic. With every installment of this ridiculous feud, the supposed altruistic nature of Morrissey's intentions grows increasingly dubious. The letter from Reid plainly states Universal would likely be willing to license the song back to Morrissey for re-release through a third party with proceeds going to relevant charities. This may not be what Morrissey originally had in mind, but it is in no way a denial. I struggle to think why this option wouldn't be good enough and worth pursuing for someone genuinely interested in paying a tribute to the victims of the attacks in Paris. He used a third party, Atom Factory, to release the Kiss Me a Lot single. What's the problem now? And why the peculiar emphasis on chart position in the original letter?

Maybe more letters will materialize, letters in which a Universal spokesperson explicitly denies any kind of release or licensing to Morrissey, but these letters don't incriminate Universal, they help their case. Morrissey, on the other hand, continues to dig himself deeper, as we now have two instances of Universal apparently offering to release the single that have gone ignored in favor of drumming up controversy with a needless smear campaign, capitalizing on a tragedy to do so.

Last edited:
I like the fact that, of the five musicians listed in Boz's original email, two of them didn't actually play "...Paris".

I think you should concentrate on things that aren't so beyond you - how about you trot off and ask your mate Dale Hibernate to give you some advice on cars. I hear yo've had your eye on a 1995 Nissan Micra. It's just a run-around.

A little charmer

And poor Boz getting dragged into this drama. You know he sent that email under direct orders of Morrissey.

Forget about a record contract anytime soon. That goes without saying.

Welcome to the Beginner's Guide on how not to get a record deal -

Morrissey: Hey David Joseph go f*** yourself!

David Joseph: Yes you've made you've made yourself plain, yes you've made yourself very plain

A nation of record companies turn their backs and gag

Not to mention that Universal already controls about 12 years worth of his back catalog. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath for that Maladjusted vinyl reissue :(

And furthermore, it's not as though "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is out-of-print, hard-to-find, rare, or otherwise deleted. If the song is such a perfect tribute, any radio station that wishes to play it is certainly free to do so. And then, any listeners moved by the song can obtain the song with about three clicks of a mouse.

Of course, as pointed out many times before, the lyrics aren't exactly fitting for the situation. At. All.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom