TTY: New Morrissey T-shirt

- OLink from an anonymous person:

New Morrissey T-shirt - true-to-you.net
15 March 2017

39758_baldwin_tshirt.jpg

Available at forthcoming Morrissey shows in North America.
Also available on Mporium.

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited:
To be fair, most of the outrage I've seen seems to be from white American liberals, who are now queuing up to boycott Moz. Be nice to hear from more black Morrissey fans, but I guess there aren't many?

To be fair, most of the outrage I've seen seems to be from white American liberals, who are now queuing up to boycott Moz. Be nice to hear from more black Morrissey fans, but I guess there aren't many?

Well there are certainly black musicians who have professed some morrissey love. Guy from the dears who I mention before and interestly some hip hop people as well. Would be interesting to hear not only from some black fans but also some black artists as well. Personally I think this backlash makes most of the outraged people look silly

He just wants to ruin his career and have the world turn on him. Moz now is a bit like Pep Guardiola signing for City, it will all end in tears.

It is hard to say what bouncing in the mind of Morrissey. It is obviously he is refering to black pride if you dont' see this then you might have racist tendencies. In Morrissey's world the word black is not bleak nor bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to say what bouncing in the mind of Morrissey. It is obviously he is refering to black pride if you dont' see this then you might have racist tendencies. In Morrissey's world the word black is not bleak nor bad.
Well, it's not in mine, either. But this is clumsy at best.

what a f***ing joke,i don't find this even mildly racist,all wrote by middle class whites.it used to be an honour to appear on a smiths single because it meant you have left your mark,not now,as I said earlier bring out the same tshirt with bruce lee on it and you wont hear anything about it.

If you look around the internet, and not just M-Solo, you'll find there are plenty of black people being rather indignant at this poorly thought out shirt.

Uh, where are these black people you speak of?

This T-Shirt is not racist. Any suggestion that it is, is utterly ridiculous and made for the sole purpose of slandering Morrrissey.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am black, British & American. If it matter or lends any credibility to my point, this is me:

It is very frustrating to be told by whites what racism is and what racism isn't. They don't own my experience with racism. How do they even get a seat at the table on this matter?

There are black Morrissey fans (like me) who identify with the lyric, “I wear black on the outside because black is how I feel on the inside." I love that lyric!

When you're a black Morrissey fan people constantly question your 'blackness', e.g. You're not black enough if you prefer Morrissey to the Wu Tang Clan, etc. As if there's a certain degree of blackness you must hold to be 'authentic.' So that lyric and that T-shirt are an affirmation to me. There are other black Morrissey fans that I have spoken with who feel the same way.

I am not an apologist for Moz and I have no problem calling him out when / if he's wrong or racist - but this is not the case. I wish he media would not be so quick to jump on the 'Morrissey is racist' bandwagon. Unfortunately that is a consequence of Moz having made questionable statements in the past.

I wish that the black media would listen to his music and give this some critical thought before being so accusatory. I wish that the 'liberal' left media would get off their high horse, put aside their white privilege and not tell what racism looks like. I already know and it's not this shirt.

TDLR; Black woman says T-shirt not racist, Media sucks.

There are black Morrissey fans (like me) who identify with the lyric, “I wear black on the outside because black is how I feel on the inside." I love that lyric!
Maybe it depends on who actually wears the shirt? I can totally see a black Morrissey fan happily wearing it, and thinking it speaks to them. I can also see a white person wearing it, and getting shot when they walk through the wrong part of town for being a racist prick.

i think the problem many people have had is not specifically that the shirt on its own is racist but against the background and context of his continual support of Farage, a racist politician with an anti immigration policy and ally of Trump along with his statements saying london is no longer England because of immigrants and noone speaks English anymore it presents a problem for that same person to be associating himself on another level with an iconic black civil rights leader. His views on many levels contradict what the that civil rights movement stands for.

No one can understand and know what it is like to be black except a black person. White liberals or white privileged people wearing t shirts will never know what that experience is.

That is why it is a ill thought out t shirt. Racist, not intentionally or directly but belittling at best.

I get that black people get annoyed at white people telling them what is racism or isn't racism but equally isn't it as annoying when white privileged people tell the world that they know what it is like to feel or be black?

If you look around the internet, and not just M-Solo, you'll find there are plenty of black people being rather indignant at this poorly thought out shirt.

No, you won't. Most people, nonetheless most black people, have no idea who Morrissey is and the number of people who care about this is even more minute.

A handful of websites, owned and run by a bunch of white people, decided to play 'social justice warrior' and create an issue just so they could seek approval for showing how righteous they are by coming to the aid of the "voiceless black folk who have been wronged."

It's called 'white guilt' and it makes white people feel like they are changing the world, but without actually accomplishing anything beneficial for anyone.

Another hilarious aspect of all of this is I guarantee 9/10 people weighing in on this both on and off this site had no idea who James Baldwin was until this became a news article...and based on the posts in this thread by 'fans of Baldwin', 9/10 people weighing in on this issue STILL don't know who James Baldwin was.

No, you won't. Most people, nonetheless most black people, have no idea who Morrissey is and the number of people who care about this is even more minute.

A handful of websites, owned and run by a bunch of white people, decided to play 'social justice warrior' and create an issue just so they could seek approval for showing how righteous they are by coming to the aid of the "voiceless black folk who have been wronged."

It's called 'white guilt' and it makes white people feel like they are changing the world, but without actually accomplishing anything beneficial for anyone.

Another hilarious aspect of all of this is I guarantee 9/10 people weighing in on this both on and off this site had no idea who James Baldwin was until this became a news article...and based on the posts in this thread by 'fans of Baldwin', 9/10 people weighing in on this issue STILL don't know who James Baldwin was.

Yes, and many people pointed out that there would be better ways for Moz to pay tribute to James Baldwin. In fact, Moz paid tribute in his book, on TTY and at his shows, but nobody reported it.

Could be that or maybe Moz realises he has a huge market waiting for him as a gangsta rapper.

Oh my god, what a load of pretentious nonsense. Not surprising coming from you though I suppose. Get off your dimestore soapbox already, because your whole rant is just as nauseating as any "white guilt" fuelled rant that I have seen on the subject.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom