TTY: New Morrissey T-shirt

- OLink from an anonymous person:

New Morrissey T-shirt - true-to-you.net
15 March 2017

39758_baldwin_tshirt.jpg

Available at forthcoming Morrissey shows in North America.
Also available on Mporium.

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited:
I know he's a long time fan but it's probably inspired by morrisseys recent viewing of the Baldwin doc I am not your negro. I don't know, like I said its interestingly provocative while in itself being fairly innocuous. As I already said some of the reactions make me think people only think of him as a male negro and I think that's worth thinking about. It also seems that some think that any possible peripheral reference to race is trivializing the black experience which makes me think that when white people think of the black experience they only think of oppression which seems to me an expression of white guilt. The shirt doesn't trivialize the unjust things done to the black community in any way but some seem to suggest that a white person cant make any allusion to black mans race unless that's not about oppression lest they be trivializing the black community's history. As to marketing I don't think morrissey really cares all that much. Sure he cares to some degree but I think at his age and after already succeeding so much in reaching his goal of being a pop star that he's probably more interested in just expressing his feelings whatever they may be which to me is more exciting than wondering what strategy a marketing team in concocting

I think that you are overanalysing this a bit much. It doesn't matter what you or I may think of it a fans. It's just not a good idea, bottom line. In fact I would say it's a rather dumb, insensitive idea.

Two exquisite new designs on the Mporium website, not just the one...

2zq8xlh.jpg

2nw3d6e.jpg

Get your wallets ready people...you know you want both of these.
Well, now you can.
Yes, you can have both!!

Reminds me of reading about the outrage that went on in the 50's, 60's, 70's, when the critics said White men couldn't/shouldn't profess to know/love/play the blues/jazz/rock n roll as the latter were Black modes of expression....they were vilified if they said "I got the blues". I see the appropriation of Baldwin as no different from his appropriation of Wilde, or from his prodding with last year's shirt posing Moz as Jesus Christ on Palm Sunday.

Last edited:
I think that you are overanalysing this a bit much. It doesn't matter what you or I may think of it a fans. It's just not a good idea, bottom line. In fact I would say it's a rather dumb, insensitive idea.

I disagree and would ask why you think it dumb or insensitive but it'd probably just get us into an analytical discussion. I don't wear a lot of band shirts anymore as I made a decision a while back that I wouldn't wear any band or slogan shirts anymore but I honestly might buy this one. The other shirt looks terrible but it's also about Mexican wrestling which is supposed to be corny so I guess it's in line with the style. I also hate Mexican wrestling so there's that

All these white people bring indignant so black people don't have to be.
If you look around the internet, and not just M-Solo, you'll find there are plenty of black people being rather indignant at this poorly thought out shirt.

i see your point with regard to the connotations of the word "black" though i would say "black" is not restricted to the context of race. even in the song from which the line was taken there is no hint to the black experience. i read it more as an existential statement of someone feeling depressed, and we know that morrissey often enough accused society of marginalizing, disregarding and even punishing those feeling miserable and sad. if you make the decision that the word "black" is restricted to black experience, and looking at the handsome face of baldwin might support you in that, as it is indeed the face of a black man, than questions of racism might occur. i rather see the tshirt emphazising similarities namely that of the depression experience of the sensitive and artistic person. so when i look at the face of james baldwin i don't instantly see a "black man" but rather the person baldwin who had a rich and beautiful inner life. i don't think the tshirt is belittling that.
i agree that a "feminine" tshirt wouldn't provoke any indignation, maybe because women are not reduced to their skin color but to their sexual organs, so a provocative tshirt would focus on that instead of the face.

No, the word black isn’t restricted to the “black experience”, but James Baldwin is not known for depression or for his fashion choices, he was a famous civil rights activist. Here, Morrissey is equating his own feelings of sadness (and fashion choices) with the struggles that Baldwin has faced and fought over the decades, the common denominator being “black”. It’s just so tone deaf, so self-indulgent and not very intelligent at all.

No, the word black isn’t restricted to the “black experience”, but James Baldwin is not known for depression or for his fashion choices, he was a famous civil rights activist. Here, Morrissey is equating his own feelings of sadness (and fashion choices) with the struggles that Baldwin has faced and fought over the decades, the common denominator being “black”. It’s just so tone deaf, so self-indulgent and not very intelligent at all.

Actually, he wrote very movingly about depression and detachment in Stranger in the Village, and in Giovanni's Room:

“And this was perhaps the first time in my life that death occurred to me as a reality. I thought of the people before me who had looked down at the river and gone to sleep beneath it. I wondered about them. I wondered how they had done it—it, the physical act. I had thought of suicide when I was much younger, as, possibly, we all have, but then it would have been for revenge, it would have been my way of informing the world how awfully it had made me suffer. But the silence of the evening, as I wandered home, had nothing to do with that storm, that far off boy. I simply wondered about the dead because their days had ended and I did not know how I would get through mine.”

And people did want to know his sense of aesthetics and fashion, including Architectural Digest, who did an interview with him. The colors and styles of Istanbul suited him better, but he settled on the south of France.

Morrissey is many things, but he truly embraces the writers that he loves, and Baldwin is one. Baldwin was an artist and an activist...as is Morrissey.

How little of a life do you have to have to give a damn about this bullshit?

Actually, he wrote very movingly about depression and detachment in Stranger in the Village, and in Giovanni's Room:

“And this was perhaps the first time in my life that death occurred to me as a reality. I thought of the people before me who had looked down at the river and gone to sleep beneath it. I wondered about them. I wondered how they had done it—it, the physical act. I had thought of suicide when I was much younger, as, possibly, we all have, but then it would have been for revenge, it would have been my way of informing the world how awfully it had made me suffer. But the silence of the evening, as I wandered home, had nothing to do with that storm, that far off boy. I simply wondered about the dead because their days had ended and I did not know how I would get through mine.”

And people did want to know his sense of aesthetics and fashion, including Architectural Digest, who did an interview with him. The colors and styles of Istanbul suited him better, but he settled on the south of France.

Morrissey is many things, but he truly embraces the writers that he loves, and Baldwin is one. Baldwin was an artist and an activist...as is Morrissey.

Yes he did. He was a great author who wrote about the human experience including depression and not just about his own experience as a black man and civil rights. Most know Go tell it on the mountain but Giovanni's room is also excellent

at the age of 18 Shelagh Delaney knew about the black experience. Go figure !

I don't like people who like me because I'm a Negro; neither do I like people who find in the same accident grounds for contempt. I love America more than any other country in the world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually. I think all theories are suspect, that the finest principles may have to be modified, or may even be pulverized by the demands of life, and that one must find, therefore, one's own moral center and move through the world hoping that this center will guide one aright. I consider that I have many responsibilities, but none greater than this: to last, as Hemingway says, and get my work done.
I want to be an honest man and a good writer.

Guess I won't be buying one after all. Shame though I wonder if he'll still sell them on tour

I don't give a shit about this "Factless" website or Claire "The Moron" Slobberfeld trying to snag her autistic 15 minutes. Never heard of the website or her until now. Won't click on it and will never hear of her or the website again after today. Morrissey on the other hand, will LAST forever. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the shirt or Morrissey. †
Well said. Tired of the Hunta Racist Brigade. Been here, read it and bought the t-shirt :thumb:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom