TTY: Music awards are none of your business

I can't work up the energy to read this rant. But he's basically saying that awards are bad, m'kay?
Who would have thought...

hes saying that corporate awards shows are bought to promote and dont express the publics love of an artists work. i personally am not a fan of the grammys brits etc and dont want morrissey to either. i like the balance hes struck between popular musical artists and a careerist.

Re: New on TTY: "Music awards are none of your business."

There's nothing more hackneyed or faux-controversial than the woefully predictable crap spewed out by Skinny, Bummie and all the other usual suspects. Having read Morrissey's piece, I could immediately predict *exactly* how the usual suspects would respond (of course they didn't disappoint!) and therein lies the irony of their position: it's a bit rich for them to accuse anyone else of being hackneyed or controversial or attention-seeking given the repetitive drivel they habitually post on here with such tedious, nauseating, pointless, stultifying predictability: no debate, no reasoned cogent arguments, just pathetic, infantile insults and name-calling.

If Skinny, Bummie, Benny, JB et al would care to tell us their sizes, I'm sure there are regulars who'd like to have a whipround to buy them each one of these: http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/Michael_Fish_UKHeir/BIGDEALt-shirt_zps3fd718c4.jpg
So true, the problem is they're so bitter and twisted and so far up their own aresholes they can't even see it, where is realitybites anyway? She must be waiting on brummie to fart her out

I have no problem with him pointing out shit where it lays. I wish more artists would do it.

BTW Morrissey did release a great album recently. It's called World Peace Is None Of Your Business!

I have no problem with him pointing out shit where it lays. I wish more artists would do it.

BTW Morrissey did release a great album recently. It's called World Peace Is None Of Your Business!

And it should have won a Grammy.

This is unreadable rubbish.

Why does he even care about the Brits?

Why does he direct so much of his tedious, puny rage at the BBC? The Brits aren't even on BBC. As usual, they'll be shown on ITV.

how great would it have been if it had been Morrissey instead of Beck for album of the year? do you think he would have decked Kayne? why can't Morrissey go to these award shows and have temper tantrums like Kayne instead of ranting on that woman's little website. That would make great telly.

Unsurprisingly, the customary knee-jerk reaction of the small anti-Morrissey brigade is completely undermined by the fact that there is nothing controversial at all in the opinions Morrissey expressed about The Brits – similar views have been expressed by many other artists and cultural commentators over the years. But of course this inconvenient truth doesn't fit the anti-Moz narrative of the tiny gang of detractors, so it's wilfully ignored, and, as usual, he's presented by them as some kind of deranged lone wolf. Personally, I think most here (and many mental health professionals too) would agree that the trolls and/or borderline stalkers who visit the same unimportant website every single day just to attack a pop star are far more deranged than one of the most influential singer-songwriters that Britain has ever produced. Anti-Morrissey agenda? Of course not!

The only thing I'd take issue with is Morrissey's assertion that “the BBC tells us that Prince Andrew is innocent” - I've been following that case carefully and the BBC has always been scrupulously impartial: news reports have detailed the allegations made against Prince Andrew, but they've also reported the vehement rebuttals issued by Buckingham Palace on Prince Andrew's behalf. At no point has the BBC ever claimed it believes Prince Andrew to be innocent, just as the BBC has never claimed that Prince Andrew is guilty either. But his opinion of The Brits (Morrissey, not Prince Andrew) and comparison with the BAFTAS is absolutely spot on - though not new.

Unsurprisingly, the customary knee-jerk reaction of the small anti-Morrissey brigade is completely undermined by the fact that there is nothing controversial at all in the opinions Morrissey expressed about The Brits – similar views have been expressed by many other artists and cultural commentators over the years. But of course this inconvenient truth doesn't fit the anti-Moz narrative of the tiny gang of detractors, so it's wilfully ignored, and, as usual, he's presented by them as some kind of deranged lone wolf. Personally, I think most here (and many mental health professionals too) would agree that the trolls and/or borderline stalkers who visit the same unimportant website every single day just to attack a pop star are far more deranged than one of the most influential singer-songwriters that Britain has ever produced. Anti-Morrissey agenda? Of course not!

The only thing I'd take issue with is Morrissey's assertion that “the BBC tells us that Prince Andrew is innocent” - I've been following that case carefully and the BBC has always been scrupulously impartial: news reports have detailed the allegations made against Prince Andrew, but they've also reported the vehement rebuttals issued by Buckingham Palace on Prince Andrew's behalf. At no point has the BBC ever claimed it believes Prince Andrew to be innocent, just as the BBC has never claimed that Prince Andrew is guilty either. But his opinion of The Brits (Morrissey, not Prince Andrew) and comparison with the BAFTAS is absolutely spot on - though not new.

Are you still here? Yoo-hoo! We can see you!

Tom Jones ? McMorrissey chum judge and mentor on ITV wanna be singing factory searching for the next (and I quote ) "market creations in an age after pop." DISCUSS PLEASE !

Thanks

Benny-the-British-Butcher

The issue with Morrissey's statement is that he is obsessed with the mainstream music industry, and still considers himself a mainstream pop artist, when anyone with half a brain rightfully puts him in the more more desirable and artistically commendable category of an outsider fringe artist. Albeit one with a massive fanbase, built on 32 years of releasing and performing music that speaks not to the mindless sheep or 11 year old teenyboppers, but to the maladjusted free thinkers who appreciate songs that says something true and relate-able about the complicated and bizarre thing known as life. The Brits, or the Grammys, or the pop charts are not for Morrissey. And typically not for any 55 year old, for that matter.

The issue with Morrissey's statement is that he is obsessed with the mainstream music industry, and still considers himself a mainstream pop artist, when anyone with half a brain rightfully puts him in the more more desirable and artistically commendable category of an outsider fringe artist. Albeit one with a massive fanbase, built on 32 years of releasing and performing music that speaks not to the mindless sheep or 11 year old teenyboppers, but to the maladjusted free thinkers who appreciate songs that says something true and relate-able about the complicated and bizarre thing known as life. The Brits, or the Grammys, or the pop charts are not for Morrissey. And typically not for any 55 year old, for that matter.

It's easy to believe he's a huge star when you see the people following his tours, crying at concerts, approaching him in public. But in reality, most people don't know who he is. He could easily walk down the street and go about his business in many cities and not be noticed. When he's not in LA or London, he does. He's not mainstream, and never really was, with the exception of flirting with the mainstream in the early 90's. From the inside of his cult fans it's very easy to think he is as successful as Beyoncé.

However, for a 55-year old man to have teenagers lined up to get into his shows, to still be releasing great albums and touring as much as he does, he's certainlt out of the ordinary.

He claims to want t be indie and not being interested in the mainstream yet is angry when he doesn't reach number 1 or get awards. Which is it, Morrissey?

Time to drive a stake through the heart of Morrissey's latest absurd tantrum. This 'genius' was offered the ultimate chance to put his wares before a global audience by appearing for the UK on Eurovision. Let's remind ourselves of the BBC analysis of why he ran away from the challenge:

"A BBC Eurovision spokesperson was quick to dampen suggestions that the former Smith would take part, telling The Independent: "We were in discussions with him and other artists, and he had been genuinely interested, but the timing wasn’t right."

They added the singer may have been put off by the public vote that chooses the UK's entry.
"

http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/26614#g2G0x1yd2UKQ6PdB.99

f***ing LOL'in my arse off! At least Katy Hopkins had the bollocks to put her Troll Persona on trial in the Big Brother house and came out smelling of roses. If Morrissey ever submitted himself to real public scrutiny you can bet he'd immediately eclipse Perez Hilton in the 'most unpopular housemate ever'. Ditto, if he was brave enough to put his 'genius' to the UK Eurovision vote, he'd have to watch his entire conspiracy theory being put on trial as he competed against other tiresome fame wannabees. The fact he was nothing more than another contestant in the early 80s NME/Melody Maker "boy-bands with guitars lottery" seems to be conveniently forgotten.

He is increasingly unhinged but his side-show as an internet loon/troll continues to amuse and fill the gap as he trolls and parades his wares at Grammy 2015 side-show parties angling for yet another record deal with a sufficient marketing budget to plaster ancient photos of himself above freeways and motorways. Just in case the herd public can't make up their own minds by listening to his music.

It's a corporate conspiracy but Morrissey's gripe is that he's now firmly back in the swarm of unsigned, unwatched, unlistened to bands and singers and yet he's spent a 3 decade career almost making it. His entitlement agenda is amusing to watch, but it appears nobody is prepared to put their money on Morrissey's next career car-crash. As he's a multi-millionaire, he might consider putting his own financial capital into ensuring his next tranche of 'genius' is widely marketed and available. It's called Capitalism. Risk. Reward. Morrissey wants these 'evil' corporations to risk their shareholder capital on his next enterprise whilst listening to him rant and rave at their collective efforts to ensure pop music remains a cultural and commercial force. He has a niche audience, but he wants to be a *star* and he simply cannot bear to see others, like Madonna, get the prizes he thinks should accrue to him.

I assume this hilarious rant is a response to zero interest in talking to him at whatever Grammy side-show parties he hawked his wares for a new album deal? I'm also sure the BRITS have often considered inviting him. I wish they would. Can you imagine the contortions of Morrissey's 'acceptance' speech as he simultaneously grasped at the award like a career life-raft whilst trying to appear cool and snide about the event itself? Then Kanye would jump on stage and say it should have gone to Beyonce. Bring it on! I was tempted to match Morrissey's word-count on this but I'm bored. For now. LOL!

best
BB

Last edited:

how can you be an outsider fringe artist and still have a massive fanbase and chart at two at 55 yoa but be considered fringe. what would make someone mainstream? personally i think the mainstream has just changed and fans have not kept up on those changes. morrissey is in the music business and probably gets asked about it and does industry small talk etc. i think people take these "rants" from there perspective alone. hes probably been having talks about industry norms in general and just typed up his opinion on his own sight after the subject being on his mind so much recently.

Tom Jones ? McMorrissey chum judge and mentor on ITV wanna be singing factory searching for the next (and I quote ) "market creations in an age after pop." DISCUSS PLEASE !

Thanks

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I will discuss. Morrissey is writing drivel. He swoons about girl-groups from the 50s/60s and various doomed *stars* who were entirely the creation of what Joni called "the star-maker machinery behind the popular song". He absolutely knows he's writing bollocks, and that his own minor flicker of fame was only because he won the early 80s NME/Melody Maker equivalent of The Voice/X-Factor. His ludicrous complaint is not that Tin Pan Alley still exists, but that those in the business of creating new stars/starlets are not interested in backing a horse called 'Morrissey' in 2015. Why would anyone want to invest in an ageing cancer victim with body dysmorphia issues who insists on advertising his next tour with decade old photos? He's as much a fake product of celebrity culture as those he rails against. His complaint is that he is not given the RESPECT!!!! that Tom Jones and Cliff get. Why? He is a 'genius'!!!!! He is also a social embarassment. Can you imagine him on The Voice panel? Never mind the BRITS.

His complaint is NOT that the BRITS exist to pimp corrupt Pop music, but that they canonised David Bowie with full pomp and ceremony whilst he remains scorned and ignored. If he'd just accept he's desperate for such an award and reign in his wild nonsense, then I'm sure Bowie would use his influence to kiss and make up and I'm sure David Cameron would be delighted to present Morrissey with a Lifetime Achievement Award. And a gold watch for retirement. I really hope the BRITS troll him by asking him next year. What will he do? It would be the equivalent of him accepting a knighthood after this spectacular outburst/meltdown. LOLz.

best
BB

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrissey was an 11 year old teenybopper at Bolan and Bowie shows. Try again. I assume you mean 'pop=girls', but 'rock=maladjusted free thinkers like wot Morrissey isn't'? But he also claims to love girl-groups from 50s/60s pop. Try again!

best
BB

Morrissey was an 11 year old teenybopper at Bolan and Bowie shows. Try again. I assume you mean 'pop=girls', but 'rock=maladjusted free thinkers like wot Morrissey isn't'? But he also claims to love girl-groups from 50s/60s pop. Try again!

best
BB

It's like being stuck in a car with an angry wasp.

"Something suspicious is in the process for launch on February 25th, with which prewar primitives who remember the Smash Hits Awards will be familiar. It is one of those moments not unlike the hourly BBC News, where the elite decide what it is that the people want, and then slyly attempt to weave it into populist culture. It is the same whip used by the mass media when they tell you that something is happening because of public demand, the aggressive intention being that the people are shockingly naive enough to eventually echo whatever it is that the elite decides upon. Now, we are trammeled once again by what is termed the British Phonographic Industry Awards, insultingly termed The Brit Awards in much the same way that The Yank Awards might describe an American music extravaganza. The object of the Brit Awards is to create the impression of national consensus as they award pop artists of untested stature or value with bogus awards that, it is slyly implied, have been dictated by you, the objective listener. The Brit Awards do not ask the public who they would like to see receive awards - for that would be to risk too much, yet the fierce insistence is that artists are rewarded for their prominence in the previous twelve months because, after all, "it's what everybody wants." Thus, for 2015, we have MacDonna, who had a quiet 2014 (but who is quite usefully about to release her new album!), yet here she is again promoting her frightening career on the Brit Awards even though her music has not ever said anything at all about British life. Just as the Brits launch party highlighted a song that reached no higher than number 62 on the UK chart, it really is your own fault if you believe that this Awards show has any connection to anything other than the junk propaganda of the strongest labels gathering to share out awards for their own artists whom they plan to heavily promote in 2015. At its most honest, the Brit Awards are unfairly given to singers who, it is hoped, might be encouraged enough by the award to actually write a good song. Just as the Mercury Prize lands like a voodoo doll in the hands of the unlucky recipient (who is usually to be found selling mattresses ten months later), a Brit Award generally goes to a lot of shriveled young souls who have not earned it, yet none are likely to ask "are you sure I deserve it?" - possibly because they know the reply.
The International Male Solo nominees consist of singers who might very well have experienced a hit throughout Europe, but this doesn't mean that an international career has yet materialized. Even if the list of nominees are self-evidently of no artistic value, it is accepted that each nominee will earn a future career entirely because of their Brit nomination, which, alas, is occasionally true. The gateway to a successful 18 months is not a question of any special gift that the nominee might genuinely possess, but relies fully on the political business of being nominated. Imagine giving an actor a BAFTA award in order to encourage them to make a good film. This is precisely how the Brit Awards operate.
Fittingly, the Awards will be hosted by light entertainers Ant & Dec, neither of whom have anything to do with music, but their presence indicates the modern hold and control that telly-culture now dominates over the world of modern music, as it reminds us how success in modern music is fully shaped by the light entertainment establishment. This is self-evident in the insipid nature of the current pop chart - deserted by genuine music-lovers who understand that chart success represents strength of marketing campaign, and not either genuine popularity or musical worth. The fine paste explosion of X-factory smash-and-grab plasticity as it exploits dreamers who dream of dreaming, leaves us with a trash culture unable to produce one genuine star, and with a flux of tantrum-need species all of whom make the same point in exactly the same way, whilst posing an urgent threat to public health. British television is now so immersed in entertainment-as-culture's-core that, as writer Michael Bracewell notes:

"even if they made a program about Belsen they would probably get Dawn French to present it and an ASBO-ridden family from Beeston to move in and be filmed 'trying to cope.'"

Similarly, it seems unlikely that an end-of-the-world announcement would be believed nationally unless confirmed on BBC1 by Cheryl Cole whilst conditioning her hair. In short, Britain has been encouraged to become a nation of idiots (which, of course, is what it is not). But why has British culture become so debased? Why is it that only ideas-free and factory-farmed 'personalities' are encouraged? Is it simply because we are all easier to govern as long as we are free of any content? Well, yes. The sudden, manic rise in loud and overquick camera shots (for a populace presumed to have zero attention span); television sponsorship; persistent sports news for events attended by no one; the obvious lusty dictatorship of the "royal" family (the one and only British institution that we pray for the government to 'sell off' - preferably to China)... it all adds up to an underpattern of controlled obedience, and the notion of the BPI awards being handed out by genuine musicologists becomes as ludicrous a concept as witnessing someone on the Brit Awards coming perilously close to actually making a worthwhile point. Meanwhile, if we mourn the unlikely possibility of positive change in pop music, or if we dare suggest that change is even allowable, we are treated like mental patients.
In the guise of serving the public, the Brit Awards have hi-jacked modern music in order to kill off the heritage that produced so many interesting people, to such a degree that we could not imagine anyone who has ever truly affected the course of British music to be on stage at the 02 collecting a deserved award. The maximum trimmings divert your attention from the fact that Taylor Swift has nothing to do with Coventry or Wrexham. To pull off rank fraud in tellyland is not a difficult undertaking, especially if you have the entire population of Peru dancing around you as you mime your song. With solemn cathedral hush, we are asked to watch and to believe, and not to question our empty satisfaction, and certainly, with this year's line-up, the likelihood is that the audience at the London 02 will pay to get OUT. The larger truth may be that any singer or band of any dignity would not join the fantasy pudgery of the Brit Awards.
It is often said that only the sentimental-slanted will groan at the way talent is now so artificially shaped, but why shouldn't we? In much the same way that the BBC News present editorials instead of actual genuine news reports (we are absolutely assured by the BBC that Prince Andrew is innocent, even though the BBC has no possible way of knowing), the Brit Awards have come to define what is neither talent nor star, having paid no attention to what is true. Therefore, not having accepted a Brit Award indicates classical value for any artist who takes their music seriously, and if we must fold our hands and be grateful as Ant & Dec applaud the Teletubbies for their 'outstanding contribution to British music', we can at least be thankful that we are not nominated, because this means that you have probably advanced the good of music in your refusal to stand alongside what Michael Bracewell magnificently refers to as "market creations in an age after pop." Morrissey

TL;DR?

Precis/summary. A Classic Morrissey Rant at "clueless consumers" as per "Kid's A Looker" mixed in with meta-level conspiracy theories about the music industry and the 'royal family'. Diss at Bowie highlighted in red. Lots of other fun stuff too. Worth a full read for maximum LOLs! Paranoid ideation in bold text.

best
BB

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom