TTY: Morrissey refuses Trinity College Dublin's Gold Medal Award for Contribution to Music award

Last edited:
He doesn't spend loads of time in Ireland. He doesn't "visit relatives in Dublin". He does Irish tour dates, he doesn't go there on his free time. The Irish heritage thing was a marketing tool in the early 2000's when stuff really started going down hill. Irish Blood was released in 2004. Kind of like when that hillbilly redneck Willy from England got married, on his uniform he had an Irish clover (well, for Northern Ireland). It's what was hot. I reckon ya'll. You lots. Anonymous-

Last edited:
Somebody must have told Mozzer that it's not actually Trinity that were giving him the award, but The Philosophical Society. It sounds less prestigious when you realise a group of drunken students just decided to give it to him in the hopes that he would show up and give them some publicity.

It seems reasonably prestigious when you look at the list of past recipients (including someone whose name rhymes with Donny Carr).

whats the point of pointless awards? what do they matter? what does anyone do with them when they get home? 1991 pennine league most improved pool player award didn't get me the girls

He's happy to accept to the key to the city of Apartheid Tel Aviv, though.

3749.jpg

He doesn't spend loads of time in Ireland. He doesn't "visit relatives in Dublin". He does Irish tour dates, he doesn't go there on his free time. The Irish heritage thing was a marketing tool in the early 2000's when stuff really started going down hill. Irish Blood was released in 2004. Kind of like when that hillbilly redneck Willy from England got married, on his uniform he had an Irish clover (well, for Northern Ireland). It's what was hot. I reckon ya'll. You lots. Anonymous-

He lived in Ireland for a couple of years in the 90's and I saw him out and about a few times. His house was lovely. He has visited many times and frequented the local pubs many nights. It's one of the few places people don't act like complete twats in front of him. So for him to fly in to accept an award isn't a major effort. He has links to Ireland, whether you like that or not.

Good on ya Morrissey!! I'm not the sum of, but the result of us all

...I'd say he's refused on the grounds of humility? Morrissey will have a good sound mind as to when he thinks it's appropriate to accept an award. And hindsight's a wonderful thing with experience ;)

...I'd say he's refused on the grounds of humility? Morrissey will have a good sound mind as to when he thinks it's appropriate to accept an award. And hindsight's a wonderful thing with experience ;)

It was included on the back of Autobiography that he was awarded the keys to Tel Aviv; that didn't particularly need to be there. I think he'd accept anything relatively prestigious that checks out.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom