TTY: Morrissey first-try demo tracks posted (from 2008 "Years Of Refusal" sessions)

Morrissey first-try demo tracks - true-to-you.net
6 August 2015

Excerpt (see link to listen to tracks):

Here are three previously unheard initial run-throughs of 'Something Is Squeezing My Skull', 'One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell' and 'Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed' from the 2008 Years Of Refusal sessions...

I think we are at seventeen TTY posts practically in a row? I don't know what's going on either but IT'S ABOUT TIME!! We totally need daily Moz posts. Just wish hye had his own space and not hers.

Agreed, he needs to get his own in set up. That one is to shitty. He could then have a lot link to iTunes stuff, pics, tours. His blogs and whatever else

These are just superb to hear ... I'm delighted Moz is freely posting such things for devotees.

The slightly faster tempo of "Skull" really appeals ... but I was hoping to hear to hear a version of "Mama" with less squashed guitars. The Madison live effort almost (!) reveals a great instrumentation ...

Well, this a huge---and refreshing---surprise. I'm enjoying these demos a lot. Boz is actually audible!

Why TTY made a mistake with the year of it was released?

I know it was delayed...
They didn't make a mistake. The album was recorded in 2008, and these demo tracks are from the 2008 recording sessions.

Last edited:
Good point, I forgot missing Alain's contribution to Morrissey's songwriting and being a fan of Morrissey's current output were two contradictory, mutually exclusive points. As someone who bought World Peace AND the Setting Fires EP, I don't know who's side I am on!

Good luck trying to apply logic on that topic here, Ben - I've stopped bothering. And, for what it's worth, "Fallen Saints" had a melody that would have made for a blistering Morrissey single. (Add to that list: "Crushed" by Red Lightning and "In Your Hands" by The Motivators.)

It's with some shock to listen to a Morrissey recording from post-2004 and actually hear Boz on an AUDIBLE electric guitar (left channel).

** EDIT: Jinx, Detritus - I owe you a Coke.

Last edited:
Well, I always liked YOR--especially Something Is Squeezing My Skull. However, minus the fact that the vocals are too low in the mix I think I may like the demo version better than the album one...

Anyone else share these sentiments?

Well, I always liked YOR--especially Something Is Squeezing My Skull. However, minus the fact that the vocals are too low in the mix I think I may like the demo version better than the album one...

Anyone else share these sentiments?

I do. Something is squeezing My skull is brilliant. But I like the album version better

Good luck trying to apply logic on that topic here, Ben - I've stopped bothering. And, for what it's worth, "Fallen Saints" had a melody that would have made for a blistering Morrissey single. (Add to that list: "Crushed" by Red Lightning and "In Your Hands" by The Motivators.)

It's with some shock to listen to a Morrissey recording from post-2004 and actually hear Boz on an AUDIBLE electric guitar (left channel).

** EDIT: Jinx, Detritus - I owe you a Coke.

The lyrics and vocals on the Setting Fires EP are a tad weak, but The Search is a cracking effort, the same spirit as Not Your Birthday Anymore. Would've been wonderful to see what Morrissey could have done with it.

I am certain Alain is happy living in LA with his family and writing for more mainstream acts to keep the money coming in, and I really really enjoyed WPINOYB, but I can't help feel it missed that indie pop touch from Mr Whyte. Oh well!

Moz has always been fine with bootlegs (aside from quashing a couple of videos) but posting his own demos?
Is this a first?
I rate Mama pretty highly...

what IN THE HELL is going on? i mean, i love the daily tidbits but tty lies dormant for months at a time, and now all this?

anyway, i find moz's imperfect vocals endearing. the rarity, i suppose.

only worry if starts posting selfies, although a bathtub selfie would make my year.

Moz has always been fine with bootlegs (aside from quashing a couple of videos) but posting his own demos?
Is this a first?

"Why now?" is what's curious to me. If his posting of YouTube videos is any indication, he posts these things as he comes across them. Why then I wonder would he be going through YOR sessions now? Or, who would have brought them to his attention?

Is this a first?
Totally agree.
Revelation album would have been the time to get litigious with people.
This appears to be a random act of kindness and long may it last (Mama is definitely the best of the 3).
Regards,
FWD

"Why now?" is what's curious to me. If his posting of YouTube videos is any indication, he posts these things as he comes across them. Why then I wonder would he be going through YOR sessions now? Or, who would have brought them to his attention?

Maybe his ill health has provoked some housekeeping with an eye to what he'll be leaving behind. His ability to repackage and sell certainly indicates Morrissey Inc. will continue to make money long after Moz has croaked his last note. Perhaps he's getting the proverbial house in order to assess these matters.

Why must people insist he NEEDS this and that..... I think the page is fine, get his message out there. You've all heard the songs and are now discussing them so job done. I also think it's lovely that a fan runs it, perfect actually.

if anything, this post got me to listen to YOR again. And yes these need to be on itunes for a rarities download. Can he get it together?

Well, this a huge---and refreshing---surprise. I'm enjoying these demos a lot. Boz is actually audible!

They didn't make a mistake. The album was recorded in 2008, and these demo tracks are from the 2008 recording sessions.

Pretty sure YOR was recorded in November and December 2007, fresh off the heels of the Greatest Hits tour. Maybe also during the first two weeks of January, but Morrissey went back on tour on Jan 16 2008 until early Feb of that year. In Feb 08, Roger Manning wrote in his blog that he had spent 6 weeks in the studio with Moz so most likely the Refusal sessions were wrapping up in the first week of Jan 08.

Pretty sure YOR was recorded in November and December 2007, fresh off the heels of the Greatest Hits tour. Maybe also during the first two weeks of January, but Morrissey went back on tour on Jan 16 2008 until early Feb of that year. In Feb 08, Roger Manning wrote in his blog that he had spent 6 weeks in the studio with Moz so most likely the Refusal sessions were wrapping up in the first week of Jan 08.
Good catch, that's right. I stand corrected!

He knows he needs to Facebook, tweet or get a blog page. But he needs to feel special so does it like this

Why would he need those things when he has his own dedicated site? I'm not sure it's so much a case of needing to feel special as it is a case of being relatively "old fashioned" and simply uninterested in jumping on the stupid social media bandwagon. I'd take a dedicated website over some McDonald's shit like Twitter and Facebook any day if I were in his shoes. Social media screams "desperation" and I believe it engenders a lack of artistic integrity that I think Morrissey is frankly too proud to submit to. It feels cheap, as it should.

There's a pretty big difference between believing one has too much dignity to chase every new flavor-of-the-month social media STD just because "everyone else is doing it" and believing that choosing not to engage in something as stupid actually makes one "special". I'm pretty sure it's the former in Morrissey's case.

A Bandcamp page for rarities like this would be really nice, though. ;)

Why would he need those things when he has his own dedicated site? I'm not sure it's so much a case of needing to feel special as it is a case of being relatively "old fashioned" and simply uninterested in jumping on the stupid social media bandwagon. I'd take a dedicated website over some McDonald's shit like Twitter and Facebook any day if I were in his shoes. Social media screams "desperation" and I believe it engenders a lack of artistic integrity that I think Morrissey is frankly too proud to submit to. It feels cheap, as it should.

There's a pretty big difference between believing one has too much dignity to chase every new flavor-of-the-month social media STD just because "everyone else is doing it" and believing that choosing not to engage in something as stupid actually makes one "special". I'm pretty sure it's the former in Morrissey's case.

A Bandcamp page for rarities like this would be really nice, though. ;)

Very, very well stated.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom